1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

With the good Olympus financial news....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Aug 6, 2015.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I wonder if that will impact the release of the EM1-II. I'd really like to compare it to the Gx8 (especially if it has 4K video @100 mbs). I have a big trip in March next year and $2K total budget for this second travel body and accessories for what will be my last camera for long while and would like not to have buyers remorse.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    What good financial news are you referring to?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The positive financial and sales data for different areas will more likely have an influence on special sale prices of new equipment than on release dates for upcoming yet to be released equipment.

Olympus will choose an announcement date that gains them the most press, often coinciding with major photo/imaging/electronics trade shows - January, February, and September 2016 all have major tradeshows.

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While the financial information provided by Olympus does show a slight positive trend, let me point out that these numbers are only for their first fiscal quarter of April through June. It does not represent an entire year. Many companies in shrinking markets have one or two good quarters but then have several bad quarters. In addition while some may consider this as an increase, actually it is way below the sales figures they provide for 2012. Their sales for the same quarter in 2012 was 29b yen compared to 21.5b yen for the same period of time in 2015. I qualify that as a recovery, not an increase. Interesting to note that this slight overall imaging increase comes from an increase in domestic and overseas sales of digital cameras and almost no increase in the other imaging products.

From 2012 to 2015 Olympus sales of imaging equipment is down about 25% however their medical sales show a 100% increase for the same time period the income from which it looks like they have used, despite nearly doubling their “capital expenditures” for medical, to pay down their interest bearing debt.

Any improvement in this market is better than additional losses but one good quarter is really nothing to get overly excited about. As with most other camera companies who are diverse, if Olympus did not have the income from medical they would be in trouble.

Olympus should thank all of the Olympus owners who have either purchased new cameras or been the reason others, such as myself, purchased new Olympus cameras. I would like to believe that the introduction of the more affordable E-M10 which is being sold not only by traditional camera stores but in big box stores such as Best Buy, where I purchased my first one, accounted for a good percentage of that increase. I have said for many years that if camera manufactures want to continue in that business they need to improve in marketing, most REALLY SUCK at it, and in getting their product into stores. You cannot rely on traditional camera stores to move your product and if it’s not in other more trafficked stores it will not be purchased. Most buyers want the touchy feely get their hands on it experience before laying out hundreds of dollars. Being able to see and handle an E-M10 was what sold me and was further supported by the positive review given by DPReview.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Agree Agree x 1