1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

With love from Australia..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi ladies and Gentlemen ..After spending endless hours on this forum finally I managed to get sometime for shooting . We went to Daylesford for weekend last week and these shots are taken with Olympus EPL2 and lenses 14-42mm , Oly 45 mm 1.8 . Please criticise these compositions and help me to improve and become the master composer .
    All suggestions welcome and tell me how u would have cropped or shot any particular shot .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    P4141641.
    P4141652.
    P4141687.
    P4141697.
    P4141710.
    P41417481.
    P4141789.
    P4141826.

P4141824.

P4141797.
    P4141827.
    P4141870.
    P4141932.
    P4152046.

P4152050.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bhupinder2002

no one is interested in pics ...lol

Very strange ..No one wanna see pics here .we are just busy discussing about gear...:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes:
    cheers

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Bhupinder! I really like this one here It's a cracker. I'm not really good at being a critic for peoples work but something I would probably do to this one is to straighten it so the hat hook thingo is standing up straight. If this has been cropped on the edges I'd probably like to see just a bit more edge on the RH side. And maybe a little more black point (but that's purely just taste)
    Other than that, the way you have the hat pole in focus and with the girl behind and her curious look, I think it's a great picture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Looks like an interesting place to visit. I particularly like the shot of the handbag, some of the others could do with some minor cropping and some different perspectives. Try getting down low and shooting from a lower viewpoint sometimes, it can help break up the monotony of everything shot from the standing position. I am thinking here of the shot of the Bookbarn with the tables and chairs out front. A step or two to the left and from a lower position could have made for a more interesting shot.
    Hope this helps:smile:

5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Bhupinder, what gear did you use? :wink:

I think they're all great shots. Looks like a lovely day.

If you're looking for criticism, let's see ...

The shot with the guys and the ducks - snap this shot as your back up, then swing around to the left. That will get the truck out of as a background bomb and you'll be able to see the second person's face better. Of course they'd have moved on by then, or something.

Shots that are behind people ... just a bit less effective. The one with the purse and she's turning toward you to look works because you can see her face. If I can't get that, for me I want silhouettes or such ... Such as the one with the couple on the walk-out, consider going for a washed out feel, either color or black and white. Something to kick-up a feeling of a memory ...

But all-in-all, great shots!

6. I think you've got a nice collection of images here, but I would suggest experimenting with different aspect ratios. Some images suit the native 4:3, others 1:1, 3:2, 16:9...

For #6 I would have like to have seen both boats and less of the water and tree in the background.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Hi Bhupinder,

well I'm certainly no compositional master either, but I did notice a few things while looking at some of these pics.
    So, here's my quick drive by thoughts...

Remember this is me looking for faults within the individual images. Overall, I like the series a lot.

1) When there's a face in a pic it demands the most attention. In this case his face is blending into the background and her face is hidden which is annoying. The brightest part is the warning label on the door. I would crop her out and burn the label, door frame and plastic chair in front, brighten his face a bit and make it a picture of him, with glasses and wooden bench in support.

2) Looks mis-timed unfortunately. The guitar covering his face and hands spoils it.

3) Even though it's a photo of a handbag, there's a distracting woman looking at me like she's about to alert her burly boyfriend about the guy with the camera taking photo's of her.

4) I like this one best. There's foreground, middle and background. Nice light and shadows. An interesting subject in the boy. It tells a story and shows the environment well. The bench probably should've been moved out of the centre of the photo, placed on the thirds line closest to the left edge so we can see what the guy on the bench is looking towards.

5) Nice pic with good tonal range. Probably could use some burning around the edges to bring the eye back to the subject instead of out of the frame.

6) The boats. Would benefit from a lower angle using a wide angle lens. So we can see the boats in their environment rather than looking down into a hull.

7) I like this one and it shows the benefit of allowing some breathing space around the frame. It's a pleasure to look at.

8) A pleasant setting with the geese but the guy is blocking the girl whose talking and the ute is now the main focus.

9) The tilt makes all the people look like they are about to fall over. The guy in front has white pants which become the most dominant part of the picture. Need to crop out the Toyota.

10) Interesting lines and shadows. Unfortunately they lead right down the middle to nowhere. This shot could have benefitted from a wider angle lens and placing someone at the focus point at the end of the railing, and then moving yourself so the focus point landed on an intersection of thirds.

11) Hot Chocolate Cafe. Her face is the focal point, it could be lighter. You could crop out the whole of the left side of the photo or burn it to darken it so it doesn't keep pulling the eye back away from her.

7 more to go!! Phew, that's all I got for now

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Ok Redone this one

mem. rim1.

9. Bhupinder2002

Thanks man ..

chill.

10. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Really cool pictures you posted here.

I love Australia. What a country! Amazing people!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bhupinder2002

Thanks a lot. Just come and visit us ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    excellent series! and my favorite beer btw. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Nic , I wll do that .Actually boat shot is with Oly 45 mm 1.8 and I was standing on the deck and there was hardly any place to move but point noted
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. Bhupinder2002

But Dave some criticism and suggestions are most welcome mate .
    Cheers

15. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Very nice set. The ones I like the best are 3, 6, 14, and 18. I wish more of the yellow boat was showing in number 6, but I read your comment about not being able to back up further. #18's a neat photo even though you can't see his face. When I look at an elderly person, I wonder about all the life they've been through. I'd like to wonder around in his brain for a little while. Thanks for posting the set.

16. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I love the fourth one! I have just one question, though. Why did you make it black and white? That kid's towel looks awesome, and I found myself wondering what kind of crazy colors the towel had in between its pattern...

• Like Like x 1
  17. pierre1944

pierre1944 New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2012
    Hi Bhupinder,

Don't worry about people not responding immediately, there is work to do, time difference, etc. Now, you asked for help about composition. I have very little to offer in that regard, as I respect your choices: the one most important thing that a photographer controls completely is the composition; everything else is always somewhat dependant on the camera.

The second most important thing, in my opinion, that the photographer controls is whether to use colour or black and white. I'll admit that, by default, I'm a colour person, except for very dramatic scenes, and even then, colour often trumps monochrome. In this respect, I will make this comment on your pictures. Since some of them show gorgeous colours, I have no reason to believe that the others wouldn't have as well. I did not see any obvious reason to go for black and white in any of these situations, and I rather think that I would have prefererred colour.

Just my preference, and I wasn't there, so you may have been absolutely right in your choice.

Pierre

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Omg omg omg. Made a huge post and lost Verizon coverage as I hit send. It's in limbo on my iPad! Step into the liiiiiiiiiiight post!

19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ugh
    I caved in and finally hit CANCEL on iPad mu43 app, hoping it would pop me back to my post where I could edit or resend or something... Nope. I'll redo the whole huge post when I get home. Ugh. All my wonderful thoughtfulness down the drain. ;) Silly Verizon....

- Eliot

20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    random thoughts here...
    1. tighter cropping in some images
    2. shooting at lower angles
    3. get closer to the subjects
    4. straighten up the horizon
    5. shoot more frames in a scene and cherry pick one that will stand out