With frames or not?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by htc, May 10, 2014.

1. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    There was a time when all the paper pictures had white frames. The digital era changed that and now very few of all pictures comes with frames. I personally still use frames and I feel that lets say Instagram is a genre where frames are almost must around the square. Okay, I have noticed that I'm one of the few, so I'm asking how do you guys feel about this?
  2. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I am just starting to use thin black borders and wider white borders on pictures I use on the web.
    In large prints for framed wall display I have always used them. They make it easier to handle the prints, I use the white borders to mount them behind mattes, and they offer space for numbering and signing them more discretely.

I remember the white borders going out of fashion back in the seventies, when the pe-coated photo paper arrived in the dark room. It would stay flat(ish) under the enlarger without help from an easel.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    You can still get prints with white frames. Depending on the kind of prints, I prefer them when printed because it separates the image from the background, whether it be a wall or a just the background space as you hold a photograph in your hand. It gives it a defining "border edge". But digitally I think its a different story. Viewing images on a screen like on an ipad/iphone/monitor i feel that the device it self is already that "border edge" and that adding an extra border to a jpg seems a bit redundant.