1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

With frames or not?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by htc, May 10, 2014.

1. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    There was a time when all the paper pictures had white frames. The digital era changed that and now very few of all pictures comes with frames. I personally still use frames and I feel that lets say Instagram is a genre where frames are almost must around the square. Okay, I have noticed that I'm one of the few, so I'm asking how do you guys feel about this?

2. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I am just starting to use thin black borders and wider white borders on pictures I use on the web.
    In large prints for framed wall display I have always used them. They make it easier to handle the prints, I use the white borders to mount them behind mattes, and they offer space for numbering and signing them more discretely.

I remember the white borders going out of fashion back in the seventies, when the pe-coated photo paper arrived in the dark room. It would stay flat(ish) under the enlarger without help from an easel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    You can still get prints with white frames. Depending on the kind of prints, I prefer them when printed because it separates the image from the background, whether it be a wall or a just the background space as you hold a photograph in your hand. It gives it a defining "border edge". But digitally I think its a different story. Viewing images on a screen like on an ipad/iphone/monitor i feel that the device it self is already that "border edge" and that adding an extra border to a jpg seems a bit redundant.