1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

With 500 bucks today, would you buy EM5 Mark 1 or EM10

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by wands, May 18, 2015.

1. wands

wands New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2012
    Miami, FL
    So my wife has an EPL5 she loves, and i bought myself an EPL1 to play around with. She doesn't want to upgrade, but i am ready.

Would you purchase an EM10 over the older EM5 or vice versa? I like to shoot outdoors and keep telling myself i need weather sealing. But, i don't think so.

Currently only own the 20 1.7/12-42/40-150 and Fisheye.

I would like to purchase tomorrow. I have read tons of vs. posts all over the internet.

Now, with these 2 cameras available at the same price, what would you do?

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I'd buy the EM5 Elite w/ 14-42 bundle from B&H for $499.95.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the feel of the E-M10 better, and they are very similar cameras.

The question would just come down to weathersealing ... or WIFI.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Based on IBIS comparison, EM5 has 5 axis, EM10 has 3. I'd go for the 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    given that you already have non-weathersealed lenses (i suppose you don't plan to replace them yet), i think getting the relatively newer e-m10 is a better option. only get the e-m5 if you're planning to get weathersealed lenses too. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Other perks of the E-M10 are focus peaking and newer processor. Wi-fi is not only about sharing pictures online but also to use it for remote control.
    I got the E-M10, sometimes I wish for the weather sealing but I really never needed it with this any other camera so I'm fine this way. If you do water sports or go often to places with wind and sand could be worth...with matching lenses. It's not about a couple or rain drops that most camera can bear with a little luck.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    IMO, just announced new Panasonic G7 looks a lot better and will be shipping in June.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    But since it's $200-$300 more than his target price and is not weather sealed (his big question about E-M10 vs E-M5) and does not have any form of image stabilization to support any of his lenses, I'm not sure that really matters.

I would go for the E-M10 unless you've already been in situations where you've been worried about you current camera surviving. But then you will also need to upgrade your lenses. I'd look at the new Olympus 14-150 that's weather sealed since it would be a simple replacement for two of the lenses you have.

In many ways the E-M10 is an updated E-M5. Sure it's not weather sealed and only has 3 axis IBIS. But many of the firmware upgrades to the E-M5 are built in. Plus it has an upgraded AF system, image processor, LCD, WI-FI, built-in flash, and a real nice simple add on grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I had an E-M5 and loved it, then added an E-M10 as a second body. I ended up using the E-M10 almost all the time so sold the E-M5. Go for the E-M10. It's got zero-second antishock among other improvements others have mentioned already.

10. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Which one shares the battery with the EPL-5? I'd choose that one.

It's a simple thing, but since both cameras in question are so similar (each has advantages and disadvantages compared to the other) having one less set of batteries, one less charger type makes life simpler, especially if the two of you shoot together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Another vote for the em10, unless you need weather sealing (then go EM5). Since none of your lenses are weatherpoof, there's not a huge benefit in a weatherproof body. Besides the afore mentioned benefits, I also believe the em10 allows you to assign mysets to the mode dial. The em5 does not have this function.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David

Good point and the answer would be the E-M10.

13. wands

wands New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for all the replies. Ideally i would love weather sealing, but i am not replacing all my lenses. The next lenses i am going to buy don't have weather sealing anyways. Wifi control would be great. Its the stabilization that had me second guessing myself a bit here. Truth is, i never use a camera or any electronic device to its true capacity. (too many other things going on). Seems like the E-M10 is the way to go. If i get more serious over time, it will definitely be an amazing back up camera to something else.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've own an E-PM1, E-P5, E-M1, and now the E-M10. The difference in IBIS between the E-PM1 and the rest was significant. The difference between the E-M10 and E-P5/E-M1? I'm sure it's there, but in my regular, typical use I don't really notice any difference. If I really pushed it or shot video maybe I would have.

15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The difference is 3.5 stops vs 4 stops. In real world use, not that much of a difference for most users.

16. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    While i have the EP5, I think my choice would be the Panasonic GX7 at $499

17. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Definitely another viable alternative. :2thumbs:

18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    E10 has electronic first curtain shutter. After experiencing this feature I'll never go back. It sucks because I'm not jiving with the GM1, can't go back to PM2, and PL7 might be a bit too large for me. Hmm

19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    GM5 has better controls than the GM1...seems much more akin in use to the GX1, which I quite like.

The GM5 is still unreasonably expensive, though, so maybe out of the question.

20. teacher447

teacher447 Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2015
    I bought the M5 elite from B&H for $544 a couple of weeks ago unfortunately I had to pay NYC tax. So far so good.