Wish fulfillment-achieving a portrait style with m4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Oct 21, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    For years after retiring my medium format film cameras, I earned my full-time living creating portraits digitally... first with the groundbreaking D30, then 20D, 30D, 5D and in recent years the 5DMkII. My go-to lens for this was the black-cased 80-200 f/2.8L and in later years, the 70-200 f/2.8L-IS.

I retired last year and now shoot almost entirely with a sizeable stable of m4/3 bodies and lens. And while the arrival of the 45/1.8 gave me some encouragement for m4/3 as a portrait camera with a native auto-focus lens, it wasn't until the arrival of the 75/1.8 when I felt like I could finally create portraits with a look which approach what I did for years with my much-loved Canon set-up.

At the end of my career, portraits was nearly all I did with cameras for about 17 years, but now I do very little portrait shooting. Fortunately, I had an opportunity recently to photograph a very cool young "model" simply because she was visiting my home and was bursting with an energy and a look I felt compelled to capture. Ahhh... an opportunity for me to test out my very recently received 75/1.8.

I love the lens for this type of shooting... it's a home run for portrait shooters. Here are a few out-takes from my short session with McKenna.

ZA100236-Edit.

ZA100248-Edit.

ZA100334-Edit-2.

I'm a big fan of 1/2 length, environmental portraits shot in landscape orientation with well placed elements in the BG which are significantly OOF,
    yet contribute importantly to "setting the scene". This next image, aside from being in 4:3 aspect, is a good example of my favorite portrait style...
    I do prefer 16:9 or at least 3:2 aspect ratio, however, for that wide-screen, sleeker format look. I need to change the camera settings off of 4:3
    for such portraits. I'll happily trade away some total pixel count to achieve an aspect ratio suiting my vision.
    ZA100309.

I stretched the following image digitally to bring about more of the wide-screen aspect ratio that I love for this kind of shooting. It did mess with
    the bokeh a bit, but that doesn't really bother me... I like the wide, slim-line framing.
    ZA100340-Edit.

It was fun to make some portraits again. :smile:

• Like Like x 28
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Terrific portraits of McKenna, Don. I know you were anticipating this lens for this purpose - glad it works for you. I'm looking forward to doing to more outdoor portraits with this lens before too long.

3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    So that's what this lens can do in the hands of a skilled portrait photographer... create absolute intimacy. No small feat at all.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    #2 an' #3 are my fav. Amazing bokeh in #2.

Thanks for sharing. I too am enjoying the 75mm, I find the 75mm in the 'L' glass league.

Gary

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah...
    I haven't touched my 45 since I picked up the 75.....:smile:

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Fantastic work!

Since getting the 75mm I'm almost certain my 45mm be be on the Buy & Sell soon...

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Fantastic portraits Don....2 & 3 in particular are stunning.

I recently got the 75mm myself, quite by accident. I went to a local store here in Melbourne looking for a camera backpack. I walked out with a lens instead ! I drove the whole way home trying to figure out what the hell just happened. It's been a real pleasure ever since though...and absolutely no regrets :)

8. Rhodel_close

Rhodel_close Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Wow these are awesome portraits. I have the Oly 45mm and now im lusting for the Oly 75mm.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... you ever get the backpack?

Gary

10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hey everyone... thanks for your comments! This lens really puts m4/3 on the map for those who love to shoot portraits. Now I'm eager to see how the 35-100/2.8 zoom looks at 100mm and f/2.8. That is likely to be a great portrait lens as well.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Bokeh.... thank you. I think the description as you stated it really nails it... "absolute intimacy"... that describes, very well, the feeling I get from viewing the images.

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You are not helping my bank account Don. Not helping at all. :tongue:

Terrific photos, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, very nice set - I really love the B&W shot but they're all terrific.

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Any chance you took a few with the 45 as well Don? I'd love to see a head-to-head comparo.

Great shots regardless -- thanks for sharing!

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    W_E_U... just doing my job as a fellow forumite... spreading GAS far and wide! :rofl: Thanks for your comments.

Bob... thanks, man... I especially like that one myself.

demiro... this was a one-lens session; so no comparison photos with the 45. Honestly, in such a session, I would just stick with the 75, as the 75 nails "the look" I prefer for most portrait work and the 45 doesn't. I bought the 45 as a portrait lens, but in the presence of the 75, I will have little use for the 45.

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice work Don! I particularly love #3 in B&W and also #5 ... I like the color tones in #4 and #5. I know you were really looking forward to the 75mm to do these kinds of portraits; looks like it's doing the job very well for you already.

Glad to see you posting too, I know you've been busy wearing down a fretboard lately but I missed seeing your posts and photos :2thumbs:

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hi Jay... thanks for your kind remarks... it's nice to hear from you, buddy!

Though my portrait shooting will be much less frequent moving forward, I'm very happy that the 75/1.8 does what it does so well! Once the 35-100/2.8 lands, my lens acquisitions will likely come to an end (mostly). As for bodies.... hmmmmmm, never ending GAS. ;-)

Yes, my calluses have returned and I've got a few new guitars and two new amps to gobble up my time and interest. It's so much fun to be able to give the time and focus to music again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Wish I could say the same, I played a couple times last week and my fingers were hurting for days afterward :biggrin:

And yeah, that 35-100mm is something I'm really looking forward to also. We are truly lucky in m4/3 to be getting a killer lineup of lenses in a compartively short time frame!

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I hope that someday our paths will cross and we can spend some time discussing and enjoying the numerous interests that we share! Photography, music, and numerous others! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You never can tell, I'll be sure to look you up if I ever make it out your way :smile:

• Like Like x 1