Wireless Trigger Compatability - Canon-m4/3rds

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by BillW, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using wireless TTL triggers with m4/3rds?

I read recently that you can use a Canon off-camera shoe cord with Panasonic Lumix and retain the TTL functions (but Nikon won't work). I recently tried this myself with with a Canon cord and Metz 44 AF-1 flash with excellent results on my G5.

Now I'm thinking if it works 'wired', will it work wireless. It seems that Canon's pins line up the same as Panasonic. I'd be VERY curious to know if it would work. I'm thinking that if the transmitter passes along 'pin' information only, it would be feasible.

I saw a set of triggers by Calumet: http://www.calumetphoto.com/product...kit-optimized-for-canon-flash-systems/CF0090/

I know that a lot of other companies make them...PocketWizard, eBay brands, etc. It would be cool if it works.

Thanks!

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    No idea about the Calumet triggers, but I tried it with Yongnuo's YN-622c triggers, and it didn't work--manual triggering only. I think there's some eTTL-II interpretation happening in the hardware that simply doesn't work with the four-thirds hotshoe signal protocol. It's not simple pass-through of the signals, as with a TTL cable.

3. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks.
    I e-mailed PocketWizard about this and here's the response I received:

The Canon cord works with your Panasonic system because the cable merely passes along electrical signals, and doesn't do any interpretation or signal processing. The radios have to do that, and thus aren't simple pass through devices. In order to do TTL wirelessly or send anything other than a simple sync signal, we'd have to reverse engineer Panasonic's camera equipment and learn what their hot shoes are "speaking." This is a matter of time and resources, which are driven by public demand, and at the moment, the Lumix cameras aren't on our road map to add add this time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    A noobie qs as I am new to wireless trigerring of flashes.

Why not use the Olympus RC function with the small flash and a FL600R?

It can control upto 3 flashes on the EM1

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Most of the time that's fie. I use thT all the time. However, that requires line of sight for the slaves to function andd the range is limited compared to radio solutions. Some radio triggers ae good to 100m (330 feet).

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Hmm...I know this is an old post, but I just got around trying to use a Canon off-camera shoe cord (OEM) with the Lumix GX-7 to see if TTL functions work. Quick answer: it depends.

With Canon flashes (580EX II and 430EX), TTL does not work. But, you can use those flashes in manual mode. With older Canon flashes (i.e., 550EX), manual mode also works, but you can only change the flash power level (e.g., 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc) when the camera is turned off. Strange!

With Olympus flashes (FL-36R and I assume other Olympus/Panasonic flashes), TTL does work.

It's interesting that the OP noted that, with third-party flashes (Metz 44 AF-1), TTL works fine when using the Canon off-camera cord on Lumix bodies. I wonder why there is so much variance.

7. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    there's no variance - he's using a Metz Oly/Panny compatible flash (ie the same as an FL36 etc) not a Cannon compatible one.

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    +1. The contacts/pins are physically placed the same, but the electronic communication protocols between the two systems are completely different. Canon flashes can only respond correctly to signals from a Canon hotshoe. MFT flashes can only respond correctly to signals from an MFT hotshoe. You have to use the same protocol at both ends of the cable.

The orginal post was wondering whether TTL radio triggers worked as simple passthrough of the signals, like a cable does, and the answer to that is no.

9. MiKyongW

MiKyongW New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2014
    I was able to get my Pocketwizard TT5s (with addition of an AC3 Zone Controller) to control (manually) my Canon flashes.