1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wireless Shutter Trigger & Flash Trigger for EM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Empireme, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Hello! Although I'm not new to the photography world, I don't have much knowledge about wireless stuff.

I wanted to purchase primarily for wireless shutter remote. And for future use I figured I should pick up something that was compatible for off camera flash so I wouldn't have to buy that separately later on. I currently own an Olympus EM1 and the FL-36R.

I would assume I have to buy 2 things? One would be the thing that goes on the hotshot and a second thing would be the remote? Or do they come together?

2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    They usually come in a set of two - one on camera set as transmitter, and one on external flash set as receiver. Check out this current thread:

Radio triggers with E-M1

3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    You'll need triggers that can double their act as a shutter release, like Yongnuo. I use:

1. A pair of "Yongnuo RF 605" off eBay etc. + 4x AAA
    2. A "Olympus 2.5 mm remote cable", which basically has an Olympus UC1 on one end, and a 2.5mm plug on the other.

Then put them together, set both to the same channel (group doesnt matter, unfortunately), but most importantly, set them both to TRX. Like so:

22538633743_7a94f39e1a_o.

Then the rest is just like a normal wired cable release. Push the button on the remote trigger halfway to focus, then fully to release the shutter.

If you need off camera flash, simply add a YN-560 III or IV and set it to RX, and off you go.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    What is available for the OM D EM5 II for remote radio triggering of flash with full TTL from camera when using a Mecablitz 44 AF-1?
    Thanks, Larry

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Looks like you are using the Nikon version which is RF-605N. Does not appear to be an Olympus version.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I don't have them, but check out Cactus V6. I'm sure there are others.

That's because there are no MFT versions, and the Nikon version is easier to put on the hotshoe than the Canon one.

7. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    These are available at B&H and apparently come with 2 Nikon cables. Will one of these work with Olympus or do you have to purchase the separate Olympus cord?

Also, to be clear, this provides wireless shutter release, correct? I read a review that said it would only work in a wired release scenario.

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get the pixel pawn. They are triggers for flash and can be reversed as shutter remote. You can find them under $30 on ebay.

Pixel Pawn Wireless Flash Trigger TF-364 Remote Shutter for Olympus Panasonic

9. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks for recommendation but I need them next week and shipping is too long/uncertain from China.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Why are you not simply using your phone as a wireless trigger? The E-M1 is designed for this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    It's designed for this and I loved the app the first time I used it. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it to work since. See my previous post where it appears others have the same issue and no one seems to have a solution.

I just want something that reliably works as I "ain't got time for that"...

12. KVWeide

KVWeide New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2010
    My app died after the first use also. I found a thread on DPReview and it was exactly the problem with my phone; LastPass was keeping it from working properly. I re-configured the security settings as described and it has worked fine ever since. Re: O.I Share "Live View" Not Working (LastPass Bug)- A Fix!!!: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I use the RC mode now with Olympus R flashes, but I've used these inexpensive flash triggers very successfully: Amazon.com : CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (NPT-04+extra receiver) : Camera Flash Synch Cords : Camera & Photo

If you're still using the Vivitar's listed in your profile, something like the Cowboy Studio would be a good way to go. Simple, cheap and it works well to fire a flash in manual power.

13. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks, KVWeide. Unfortunately I am using apple devices so don't think this is relievant but may give another solution search a go...

I actually have had success with cheap "peanuts" to trigger the Vivitars using onboard flash in manual mode, but that's not my need at this point.

I simply want a wireless shutter release for family pictures on vacation so I can include myself :)

14. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
  15. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
  16. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Figures... Ordered these and thought I would give the wifi camera link to my iPhone another try just for the heck of it... And guess what? It works...

Killing me, lol.

17. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Used this Vello remote shutter on vacation and it worked flawlessly with my E-M1. So glad I got it as I think the app/iPhone combo is just too fiddly for me even when I do get it working. We were outside with multiple family members including kids and fighting time for the light, which leaves little time for messing with the app.

The remote is quick and easy once you get the shot set up - and it fits in my pocket. My biggest struggle was smiling myself when I jumped in the shots, without having a "concerned" photographer look in every shot, lol...

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    ImageUploadedByMu-431466374268.520478. ImageUploadedByMu-431466374288.532353.

19. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Oh, and it came with an Olympus compatible cable in a separate package. It doesn't say which cameras, but would imagine the specs are the same for E-M1 and E-M5II.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It is too bad Oly doesn't add support and include those nifty little IR remotes (RM1, etc.) they used to provide with older "prosumer" model cameras. They were very tiny and in my experience worked very well.