1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wireless shutter release for OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by allenrowand, Apr 27, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I have the yongnuo rf-602 wireless triggers that I've been using for over a year now. They work well with both my E-PL1 and Fuji X Pro 1. They're fairly cheap on eBay and have decent range. Been using them with speedlites as well as alien bees.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I just received one off of eBay and it states it'll work with OMD, but I only have ep-2 and e-p3. Was half the price of the one you have listed.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Reviving this thread! I'm also looking for a wireless shutter trigger for the OMD (and XPro1).

Would love to hear more about the experiences that others have had with various wireless shutter trigger devices.

Thanks!

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I have used the RF-602 for over 2 years - on EP1,2,3 and E-M5. The USB jack is the same on all and the trigger works for all. Used with flashes, no wire is needed - the transmitter is triggered by the hotshoe center contact. For shutter release the receiver can be connected to the camera via the USB port and triggered wired or remotely - single shot and Bulb (continuous).

The transmitter takes a CR-2 battery, which is not as common as AAA, which are used in the receiver.

The RF-902 looks like the next generation, with both TR and RX using AAA batteries. Does not trigger remote flash! I don't see any compelling features that justify 2 times the price of the RF-602.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I have that remote. The AAA battery was the primary driver for me. My fl300 and the remote can use the same spare batteries. And I can buy primaries almost anywhere.

That convenience and insurance was worth the extra $ to me.

6. strangenews

strangenews New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Japan
    Though this is an old thread I will give it a try.
    Does anyone know the exact reference for the cable needed to use the Yongnuo RF-602 with the E-M5 for remote shutter release? I haven't been able to find it, none of the cables they offer seem to have the USB plug the E-M5 needs.
    Thanks

7. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a Pixel Rook flash trigger set that I normally use for my Nikon system, but I can also use it with my E-M5 as well. After getting this cable (CL-UC1 Camera Connecting Cable--PIXEL ENTERPRISE LIMITED) and this plug adapter (For only $0.24 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor - Gold Plated) I have successfully used it a wireless shutter release. If the Yongnuo can take a standard 3.5mm plug, it may work for you too (if it takes a 2.5mm plug you wouldn't need to get the plug adapter).

8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Glad to see this thread resurrected, as I'm interested in getting a remote (wireless or wired) for my E-M5.

For those that are happy with their remotes, can anyone post an image or two of how it connects to the camera body?

Thanks!