Wireless shutter release for OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by allenrowand, Apr 27, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I have the yongnuo rf-602 wireless triggers that I've been using for over a year now. They work well with both my E-PL1 and Fuji X Pro 1. They're fairly cheap on eBay and have decent range. Been using them with speedlites as well as alien bees.
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I just received one off of eBay and it states it'll work with OMD, but I only have ep-2 and e-p3. Was half the price of the one you have listed.
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Reviving this thread! I'm also looking for a wireless shutter trigger for the OMD (and XPro1).

Would love to hear more about the experiences that others have had with various wireless shutter trigger devices.

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I have used the RF-602 for over 2 years - on EP1,2,3 and E-M5. The USB jack is the same on all and the trigger works for all. Used with flashes, no wire is needed - the transmitter is triggered by the hotshoe center contact. For shutter release the receiver can be connected to the camera via the USB port and triggered wired or remotely - single shot and Bulb (continuous).

The transmitter takes a CR-2 battery, which is not as common as AAA, which are used in the receiver.

The RF-902 looks like the next generation, with both TR and RX using AAA batteries. Does not trigger remote flash! I don't see any compelling features that justify 2 times the price of the RF-602.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have that remote. The AAA battery was the primary driver for me. My fl300 and the remote can use the same spare batteries. And I can buy primaries almost anywhere.

That convenience and insurance was worth the extra $ to me.
  6. strangenews

strangenews New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Though this is an old thread I will give it a try.
    Does anyone know the exact reference for the cable needed to use the Yongnuo RF-602 with the E-M5 for remote shutter release? I haven't been able to find it, none of the cables they offer seem to have the USB plug the E-M5 needs.
  7. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a Pixel Rook flash trigger set that I normally use for my Nikon system, but I can also use it with my E-M5 as well. After getting this cable (CL-UC1 Camera Connecting Cable--PIXEL ENTERPRISE LIMITED) and this plug adapter (For only $0.24 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor - Gold Plated) I have successfully used it a wireless shutter release. If the Yongnuo can take a standard 3.5mm plug, it may work for you too (if it takes a 2.5mm plug you wouldn't need to get the plug adapter).
  8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Glad to see this thread resurrected, as I'm interested in getting a remote (wireless or wired) for my E-M5.

For those that are happy with their remotes, can anyone post an image or two of how it connects to the camera body?