Wireless remote for G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aroth87, Jun 11, 2012.

1. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I've recently bought a Panasonic G3 and have been looking at options for wireless trigger releases. I've seen the $20 3rd party option on Amazon but have an off-the-wall question.

I came from Nikon DSLRs, and my wife still has hers, and we've got the ML-L3 IR remote for them. Its about the size of a stick of Big Red chewing gum folded in half, making the Amazon remote for the G3 seem needless large. Since the G3 uses what I assume is a generic 3.5mm jack as the remote input I was curious if anyone had seen any DIY remote projects made for it. I'd love to be able to use the same remote for both camera systems, the same way I can use the same old lenses :)

Adam

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You were planning on rigging up an IR sensor to decode the ML-L3 signals to the approrpriate 3.5mm jack? Well, ok.

But it's not a standard 3.5mm minijack.

It's 2.5mm.

And it's four-pole, not two-pole (stereo). And you need to add resistors.

Not sure it's as simple as you're expecting. I'd start here.

3. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I figured it was more complicated than I was hoping it would be since a quick search didn't turn up anything promising. I can dream can't I? :biggrin:

A few years ago when I was still in school I probably could have stood a chance at pulling a project like this off. In fact I think I still have a IR receiver and processor lying around from a project from senior year. But its been a few years since I actually built any circuits or programmed anything (or had access to a spectrum analyzer) and really my biggest hesitation with the Amazon trigger is the size. I think I'll deal with the size, spend the $20, and save myself a lot of headache.

Adam

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Funny you should mention that. I bought one of those from the US amazon, and the damn thing was broken (button on the transmitter was busted) out of the box. I just returned it, and didn't chance another copy. There was something else I wanted to try.

I got the Triggertrap Mobile iOS app*, dongle, and cables for my G3 and my 50D/5DMKII (total: $40 and I can use it on both systems). The sound triggering mode is a wee bit sensitive, but I just snap my fingers or clap my hands at my iPodTouch to take a shot from across the room. :) The intervalometer works pretty good on the G3 I've shot three short timelapse movies with it), although I have run into issues if the interval is under 2 seconds.

*If you are interested in the TriggerTrap Mobile app, read the fine print and do a little extra research. The HDR modes are only for long exposures >5s, there's an issue with the dongle on EU iThings, they list the GF3 as working with it when the GF3 doesn't have a shutter release port, etc. etc. To me, they're still kinda beta-ish and you need to exercise a little extra caution before giving them money. I went there because a Panasonic OEM cable release would have cost me $50, and a Canon cable release with an intervalometer is about $100 more.

You could also get Cactus V5 triggers and the Panasonic shutter cable. Bulkier and more expensive than what you're envisioning, but, you'd also have a set of flash triggers. And, of course, it's a 2.4GHz radio trigger, so no range or line-of-sight issues.