Wireless remote for G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aroth87, Jun 11, 2012.

1. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I've recently bought a Panasonic G3 and have been looking at options for wireless trigger releases. I've seen the $20 3rd party option on Amazon but have an off-the-wall question.

I came from Nikon DSLRs, and my wife still has hers, and we've got the ML-L3 IR remote for them. Its about the size of a stick of Big Red chewing gum folded in half, making the Amazon remote for the G3 seem needless large. Since the G3 uses what I assume is a generic 3.5mm jack as the remote input I was curious if anyone had seen any DIY remote projects made for it. I'd love to be able to use the same remote for both camera systems, the same way I can use the same old lenses :)

Adam

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You were planning on rigging up an IR sensor to decode the ML-L3 signals to the approrpriate 3.5mm jack? Well, ok.

But it's not a standard 3.5mm minijack.

It's 2.5mm.

And it's four-pole, not two-pole (stereo). And you need to add resistors.

Not sure it's as simple as you're expecting. I'd start here.

3. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I figured it was more complicated than I was hoping it would be since a quick search didn't turn up anything promising. I can dream can't I? :biggrin:

A few years ago when I was still in school I probably could have stood a chance at pulling a project like this off. In fact I think I still have a IR receiver and processor lying around from a project from senior year. But its been a few years since I actually built any circuits or programmed anything (or had access to a spectrum analyzer) and really my biggest hesitation with the Amazon trigger is the size. I think I'll deal with the size, spend the $20, and save myself a lot of headache.

Adam

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Funny you should mention that. I bought one of those from the US amazon, and the damn thing was broken (button on the transmitter was busted) out of the box. I just returned it, and didn't chance another copy. There was something else I wanted to try.

I got the Triggertrap Mobile iOS app*, dongle, and cables for my G3 and my 50D/5DMKII (total: $40 and I can use it on both systems). The sound triggering mode is a wee bit sensitive, but I just snap my fingers or clap my hands at my iPodTouch to take a shot from across the room. :) The intervalometer works pretty good on the G3 I've shot three short timelapse movies with it), although I have run into issues if the interval is under 2 seconds.

*If you are interested in the TriggerTrap Mobile app, read the fine print and do a little extra research. The HDR modes are only for long exposures >5s, there's an issue with the dongle on EU iThings, they list the GF3 as working with it when the GF3 doesn't have a shutter release port, etc. etc. To me, they're still kinda beta-ish and you need to exercise a little extra caution before giving them money. I went there because a Panasonic OEM cable release would have cost me $50, and a Canon cable release with an intervalometer is about $100 more.

You could also get Cactus V5 triggers and the Panasonic shutter cable. Bulkier and more expensive than what you're envisioning, but, you'd also have a set of flash triggers. And, of course, it's a 2.4GHz radio trigger, so no range or line-of-sight issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.