Wireless Remote Flash for Lumix GF1

goldenphoto

New to Mu-43
Can anyone please advise me on whether I can use a wireless remote flash with my GF1. I have seen a lot of confusing information on the internet. I am not looking for highly technical advice (I am too much of an amateur). I would like to use the most compact and high quality equipment available. Brand suggestions would be enough and model numbers would be useful but not necessary.

digitaldan1

Mu-43 Regular
Depends. I don't believe wireless TTL flash is available in any way for the GF1 (I wish it was.)

You can however, get wireless flash through a radio slave or infra red slave type device. Radio slaves, pocket wizards and other radio signal transmitter/receiver sets are the highest end choices for wireless flash when a TTL system isn't available. I've used a basic set of Pocket Wizards with my GF1 (I believe they were either first or second generation) and they worked fine. You can usually find a transmitter/receiver pair on ebay for less than $200 (you need one transmitter and then one receiver for each flash you plan on using).

Infra red transmitter/receiver sets are much cheaper (and less reliable/effective) and can be found on ebay for very low prices. I haven't used them, so I can't comment, but I can tell you that infra red doesn't have the range of a radio slave and bright light can make them less effective. Infra red is more line of sight, while radio slaves will travel through obstructions.

Good luck,
Dan

tomrock

Mu-43 Regular
I've used Pocket Wizards and they're great, but the fastest shutter speed you can use is 1/160th. I wish there was a wireless solution that allowed for faster shutter speeds.

The new Metz flashes might have a hi-speed slave mode but I don't know if they work with Panasonic cameras.

MiniMax

Mu-43 Rookie
Radio triggers are more reliable than infrared. The cheapest way are the (but still quite unreliable) PT-04 clones on ebay. The best bang for the buck at the moment seems to be the Yongnuo RF-602: One transmitter plus two triggers for around 50 EUR.

Muntjack

Mu-43 Veteran
Wireless Remote

I'm fairly sure Hahnel make one to suit all the G range. I have one for my E-P2 and it works just fine..... tiny too.
M

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom