Wireless Remote Flash for Lumix GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by goldenphoto, Aug 27, 2010.

1. goldenphoto

goldenphoto New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2010
    Can anyone please advise me on whether I can use a wireless remote flash with my GF1. I have seen a lot of confusing information on the internet. I am not looking for highly technical advice (I am too much of an amateur). I would like to use the most compact and high quality equipment available. Brand suggestions would be enough and model numbers would be useful but not necessary.

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Depends. I don't believe wireless TTL flash is available in any way for the GF1 (I wish it was.)

You can however, get wireless flash through a radio slave or infra red slave type device. Radio slaves, pocket wizards and other radio signal transmitter/receiver sets are the highest end choices for wireless flash when a TTL system isn't available. I've used a basic set of Pocket Wizards with my GF1 (I believe they were either first or second generation) and they worked fine. You can usually find a transmitter/receiver pair on ebay for less than $200 (you need one transmitter and then one receiver for each flash you plan on using).

Infra red transmitter/receiver sets are much cheaper (and less reliable/effective) and can be found on ebay for very low prices. I haven't used them, so I can't comment, but I can tell you that infra red doesn't have the range of a radio slave and bright light can make them less effective. Infra red is more line of sight, while radio slaves will travel through obstructions.

Good luck,
    Dan

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've used Pocket Wizards and they're great, but the fastest shutter speed you can use is 1/160th. I wish there was a wireless solution that allowed for faster shutter speeds.

The new Metz flashes might have a hi-speed slave mode but I don't know if they work with Panasonic cameras.

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010
    Germany
    Radio triggers are more reliable than infrared. The cheapest way are the (but still quite unreliable) PT-04 clones on ebay. The best bang for the buck at the moment seems to be the Yongnuo RF-602: One transmitter plus two triggers for around 50 EUR.

5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Wireless Remote

I'm fairly sure Hahnel make one to suit all the G range. I have one for my E-P2 and it works just fine..... tiny too.
    M