Wireless Remote Flash for Lumix GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by goldenphoto, Aug 27, 2010.

1. goldenphoto

goldenphoto New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2010
    Can anyone please advise me on whether I can use a wireless remote flash with my GF1. I have seen a lot of confusing information on the internet. I am not looking for highly technical advice (I am too much of an amateur). I would like to use the most compact and high quality equipment available. Brand suggestions would be enough and model numbers would be useful but not necessary.
  2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Depends. I don't believe wireless TTL flash is available in any way for the GF1 (I wish it was.)

You can however, get wireless flash through a radio slave or infra red slave type device. Radio slaves, pocket wizards and other radio signal transmitter/receiver sets are the highest end choices for wireless flash when a TTL system isn't available. I've used a basic set of Pocket Wizards with my GF1 (I believe they were either first or second generation) and they worked fine. You can usually find a transmitter/receiver pair on ebay for less than $200 (you need one transmitter and then one receiver for each flash you plan on using).

Infra red transmitter/receiver sets are much cheaper (and less reliable/effective) and can be found on ebay for very low prices. I haven't used them, so I can't comment, but I can tell you that infra red doesn't have the range of a radio slave and bright light can make them less effective. Infra red is more line of sight, while radio slaves will travel through obstructions.

Good luck,
  3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've used Pocket Wizards and they're great, but the fastest shutter speed you can use is 1/160th. I wish there was a wireless solution that allowed for faster shutter speeds.

The new Metz flashes might have a hi-speed slave mode but I don't know if they work with Panasonic cameras.
  4. MiniMax

MiniMax Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010
    Radio triggers are more reliable than infrared. The cheapest way are the (but still quite unreliable) PT-04 clones on ebay. The best bang for the buck at the moment seems to be the Yongnuo RF-602: One transmitter plus two triggers for around 50 EUR.
  5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Wireless Remote

I'm fairly sure Hahnel make one to suit all the G range. I have one for my E-P2 and it works just fine..... tiny too.