Wireless remote control for E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Frunch, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I couldn't find any info. Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a wireless remote control for my E-PL2. I saw a suggestion for this Vivitar remote: Vivitar VIV-RC-200-OLY Wireless Remote Shutter VIV-RC-200-OLY

Just wondering if anyone here has tried this remote for a micro 4/3 Olympus camera, and if so: how do you like it?

2. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    haha. i've been looking at the same thing today. keen to hear opinions also

alternatives I've found:

Pixel - seems much the same as Vivitar, but maybe a bit cheaper. Probably my pick as it takes AAA batteries.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

JYC - cheapest. and also smallest.

JYC Wireless Shutter Release Olympus E-410 E-420 E-520 | eBay

But, after all this searching I think I might forget about wireless and buy a $5 wired option. Probably does all i need and takes up less space in the bag. i also hate flat batteries!!
  3. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Follow Up!

Just thought I'd follow up, I wound up buying the Vivitar Remote for my E-PL2 from B&H Photo.

Here's the link again for reference: Vivitar VIV-RC-200-OLY Wireless Remote Shutter VIV-RC-200-OLY

It shipped very fast as usual, and I am very pleased with it! It works great! It has a few different settings, single shot/bulb mode, multi-shot mode, and 2 second time delay--all that can be selected by a switch on the remote control. Only the receiver has an accessible battery(some odd size one, like a 1/2 size AA), the battery in the remote is supposed to last up to 3 years. I imagine the remote can be taken apart to change its battery when the time comes, however. The receiver can be mounted on the hot shoe, it has a round screw-down kind of thing to secure it firmly to the top of the camera once it's in place on the hot shoe. I was able to get it to work from 20 feet away, haven't tried any further yet. For $35 w/ free shipping I think it was worth it. The only problem I has was the instructions weren't totally clear so it took me a little while to finally get the thing working. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to get a remote for their Olympus camera! :smile:

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Bumping this up because I'm picking up a E-PL2 to possibly use this Vivitar remote - does the part that goes into the hot shoe need to be on the hotshoe for this to work?