1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wireless remote control for E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Frunch, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I couldn't find any info. Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a wireless remote control for my E-PL2. I saw a suggestion for this Vivitar remote: Vivitar VIV-RC-200-OLY Wireless Remote Shutter VIV-RC-200-OLY

Just wondering if anyone here has tried this remote for a micro 4/3 Olympus camera, and if so: how do you like it?

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    haha. i've been looking at the same thing today. keen to hear opinions also

alternatives I've found:

Pixel - seems much the same as Vivitar, but maybe a bit cheaper. Probably my pick as it takes AAA batteries.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

JYC - cheapest. and also smallest.

JYC Wireless Shutter Release Olympus E-410 E-420 E-520 | eBay

But, after all this searching I think I might forget about wireless and buy a $5 wired option. Probably does all i need and takes up less space in the bag. i also hate flat batteries!!

3. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Follow Up!

Just thought I'd follow up, I wound up buying the Vivitar Remote for my E-PL2 from B&H Photo.

Here's the link again for reference: Vivitar VIV-RC-200-OLY Wireless Remote Shutter VIV-RC-200-OLY

It shipped very fast as usual, and I am very pleased with it! It works great! It has a few different settings, single shot/bulb mode, multi-shot mode, and 2 second time delay--all that can be selected by a switch on the remote control. Only the receiver has an accessible battery(some odd size one, like a 1/2 size AA), the battery in the remote is supposed to last up to 3 years. I imagine the remote can be taken apart to change its battery when the time comes, however. The receiver can be mounted on the hot shoe, it has a round screw-down kind of thing to secure it firmly to the top of the camera once it's in place on the hot shoe. I was able to get it to work from 20 feet away, haven't tried any further yet. For $35 w/ free shipping I think it was worth it. The only problem I has was the instructions weren't totally clear so it took me a little while to finally get the thing working. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to get a remote for their Olympus camera! :smile:

Trevor

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Bumping this up because I'm picking up a E-PL2 to possibly use this Vivitar remote - does the part that goes into the hot shoe need to be on the hotshoe for this to work?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.