1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wireless/RC flash question...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 26, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have the little flash for the OM-D. Has anyone put frosted tape over the flash tube to minimize its forward effect? Is there an RC trigger I can use instead of another flash in the hotshoe to fire RC flashes? For the table top products I shoot, the size of the Metz 44 AF-1 is fine, the FL-36 is marginal, but I'd like to use them both together, off the camera wirelessly. If it is really RC, I should be able to put frosted tape on it, right?

Yes, I'll experiment, but thought I'd ask too.

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You can gobo the flash tube however you like. The sensor, however, shouldn't be covered. The FL-36R (I assume you are using the R model because the non-R model doesn't do wireless flash) has a little maroon-ish window on the body of the flash that includes the sensor to receive the flash coordination signals. Don't block the sensor and it should work.

I wouldn't put tape over the flash tube just because I'd be concerned that the tape would not allow the flash to cool properly and may lead to diminished lifespan or even breakage. That said, it probably won't break or cause damage. I'm just saying that I wouldn't.

If you don't want to use a master flash in the hotshoe you could use the pop-up flash as a controller. Or you could use something like Cowboystudio triggers Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Camera & Photo

The advantage of using an olympus flash to control is that Olympus supports preflash-TTL and flash channel groupings without output control. As an example, any number of flashes could be assigned Group A, and other flashes Group B, and you could use your camera to balance the relative light output of each set. Furthermore, if you use radio triggers such as Cowboystudio, then each flash output will have to be set manually.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    When using the onboard flash to trigger other flashes you can just set it so it does not fire as part of the exposure, or set it to a manual setting if you want a bit of fill flash.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    There really shouldn't be any forward effect, as the on camera flash triggers slightly before any flashes it's controlling - if you find it is having an effect, just order a gel filter sample pack and cut some of the ND gel to suit and tape that over it; that's what I've done in the past with other systems.....

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Really? Turn of the flash but not the RC signal of the in camera flash? Leaving it "up" doesn't fire the flash but DOES fire the wireless slaves? Hmmm... haven't seen that.

Yes to the others, I want to use the in-camera flash as commander, but see no forward effect from it. So far, it is showing up in the exposure. According to the manual, dialing it down also dials down the other flashes too.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's kinds of where I was coming from having done that as well. Frosted tape would just soften it to the point of being light but ineffectual.

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    No frosted tape. On the OMD, set the flash to RC in the menu. In the SCP select a channel. Set your FL-36R to RC and select the same channel. You can set exposure compensation on both or either the flash and OMD. The FL-36R is more than enough for doing table-top photography.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you want to include the light from your mini flash, in the SCP scroll down past channel C and activate the camera symbol to TTL. This will enable front light from the mini flash, and side light from the FL-36R in the remote mode.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That works. I shot a couple of things on my keyboard while testing it, and that method fires both the FL-36R and the Metz at the same time. Oddly, I can see the on-camera flash in the reflection of the monitor, but it doesn't seem to show its effect on the product. It must be enough of a wink to fire the other strobes accurately, but short enough in duration to have no visible effect. Damn 186,000 miles per second is fast!

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Hmmm... then this would also work on a stroboframe! No cord, and I could dial down the on-camera flash to just add a very little fill.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If the stroboframe can decipher the Olympus flash code, it would work in TTL, if not, then it will have to be set to manual or old fashion auto.

12. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    If I remember correctly, with the Canon TTL system (and I'd imagine the others work in a similar, if not the same, way), the pre-flash isn't a single flash, but multiple flashes that happen so fast to us the appear as a single flash.

It measures the ambient light, works out the exposure, measures it again with a pre-flash, calculates the flash exposure, then measure the ambient light again, just in case it's changed, then communicates the settings to the other flashes which then trigger. Really clever, and very, very fast when you think about it!

If anyone knows different, please post and let us know.

Colin