Wireless Radio-triggered Flash for GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dogman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Great news for GX7 owners. I just bought the Yongnuo YN560 III flash ($75) with the Yongnuo RF602C3 radio-wave transmitter/receiver package ($37) for my Lumix GX7. It works! You don't need the receiver, but you can't buy just the transmitter. For $37 for both, I'm not complaining. I'd read some reports some saying the RF602 would work and other saying it wouldn't. I'm guessing that the Nikon version might not work, but the Canon (C3) version does. I also read that the RF603 transceiver would also work, but you must rewire the dang thing. With the RF602C3, you don't. And, the RF602C3 is small and looks nice on the GX7 body. The only minor problem is getting the transmitter onto the hot shoe. You have to use a flat blade to push the pins in as you slide the transmitter on.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    I use YN560III flashes and I also have RF602 transmitter (have receivers as well for other flashes)
    The transmitter slides easily onto the hotshot of the EM5 so it seems odd that you would have to work so hard to get yours on the GX7.
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    EDIT: See later post, this was incorrect. YN-603s do NOT work, 622N DOES work, and does NOT seem to need the adapter on the GH3 after all. Phottix Strato II Canon model units also work successfully with the GH3.

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶F̶-̶6̶0̶3̶ ̶(̶C̶a̶n̶o̶n̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶)̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶R̶F̶-̶6̶2̶2̶N̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶P̶a̶n̶a̶s̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶G̶H̶3̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶6̶2̶2̶N̶ ̶N̶i̶k̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶a̶p̶t̶e̶r̶:̶ ̶ ̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶-̶s̶h̶o̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶(̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶)̶.̶ ̶

4. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I just put a post on the Lighting forum similar to this. Check there for details.

I had good results with TTL using a Canon cord on my G5 (with a Metz 44 AF-1 for Panasonic) and am wondering if a Canon wireless setup will give me the same results?

If the transmitter just transmits 'pin' data, I would think it would work.
  5. klam

klam New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't been able to get any sort of Canon wireless ETTL working with my 600EX or PocketWizard FlexTT. Not even in manual mode, since then there is no need for the trigger to communicate with the camera.

Sent from Tapatalk
  6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just curious... why do you need an adapter? My 622C triggers work fine as manual-only triggers directly on the G3's hotshoe, and the 622N's Tx pins shouldn't make contact with any of the mft hotshoe contacts, other than the sync signal.

I'm also surprised the 603 works, given that a Canon TTL signal is required to swap the on-camera unit into Tx mode--did you modify the Tx unit? 602s work fine since it's got separate Rx/Tx units, and the Cactus Vs also work, because they have an external Tx/Rx switch on them.

Bummer. Yeah, the YN-622c doesn't give TTL/HSS control, either, but I suppose it's not surprising, given that it's clear there's some hardware interpolation between the signals for features like Hypersync timing. It's not just passive relay of all five pin signals.
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I re-tested everything and got totally different results that match what you're saying. Apparently I must have skipped my coffee the day I wrote that earlier post :redface:

A few months ago I tried the YN-622N units attached directly to the camera and it wouldn't fire reliably for me, then with the adapter seemed to work consistently. Now I just tested again and you're right, it works just fine directly mounted in the hot-shoe. I must have had bad batteries, loose connection, or some other issue going on last time I tested.

For the YN-603s you're right, they do *not* fire on the GH3 (with or without the adapter). However, the Phottix Strato II Canon model triggers I have do work just fine. So, in summary:

Phottix Strato II

NOT working:
  8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, the Stratos will work just fine, since, like the 602s, they have separate Rx/Tx units.
  9. rzr_fast

rzr_fast New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2014
  10. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    What's more important to you? Having shuttter release control? Or using the built-in receiver on the YN-560III?

The Meyin probably isn't compatible with the RF-602/603 receiver in the 560iii, so you'd need to put a receiver on the flash's hotshoe.

And you could get the Yongnuo RF-603ii triggers, which are compatible with the 560iii and doesn't need to be modified to work on the mft hotshoe.