Wireless Microphone for GH2?

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As you can tell from this very poor clip, ambient sound made it nearly impossible to hear the man I was interviewing (and my composition stinks, too).

I shot in manual using 1/50 second shutter speed and auto white balance - I think the video looks too yellow. [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad17RL4ZkT8&feature=feedu]Doug Freeman, Former Chairman of Henderson County, NC Democratic Party - YouTube[/ame] (In the strong sunlight a reflector on the right would have helped.)

Also experienced strange light flashes - hard to explain - where exposure changes at the perimeter for a split second, repeatedly. You can see it if you expand my clip to full screen. Doesn't show at the lowest resolution.

Any advice would be appreciated for something that's very good but a lot less than the Sennheiser ew 100 G2 I saw demoed in a YouTube Video: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpapTx3gcQ]Panasonic GH2 Audio Test - YouTube[/ame]

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
A suggestion

Hi Isabel
I've experimented with a few wireless mics and found one inherent limitation. The GH2 employs some AGC (Auto Gain Control) which cannot be totally disabled. In very quiet situations the AGC can artificially increase the audio gain. If the signal from the wireless mic is not 100% "full quieting" I've experienced an annoying increase in the background hiss. Not all wireless mics are equal, so it's plausible to say that some will work better than others.

I've used Panasonic's external mic which is somewhat more directional. The mic sensitivity seems to be tied to the zoom, so it does a very nice job in improving the audio, though it is not wireless.

I hope this info might of of some help to you. Ideally, the GH2 should have a true "line" input. Let's hope for the next model!

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the input...

After doing considerable internet surfing for reviews of various options, I've decided to order the Rode VideoMic Pro despite it's negative aspects (flimsy construction and connection cord). It certainly will give improved sound over the internal mike. (Yes...I know it's not wireless, but I want to limit bits and pieces that need to be set up, A mike that sits in the hotshoe seemed to be the easiest way to go for spontaneity.

I'm not going to be making epic movies, but recording interviews or speeches, plus shooting grandchildren a couple of times a year, mainly.

I have to spend more time with the manual to learn how to turn down that internal auto gain as much as possible, because there is some control, right?

Isabel

Hi Isabel
I've experimented with a few wireless mics and found one inherent limitation. The GH2 employs some AGC (Auto Gain Control) which cannot be totally disabled. In very quiet situations the AGC can artificially increase the audio gain. If the signal from the wireless mic is not 100% "full quieting" I've experienced an annoying increase in the background hiss. Not all wireless mics are equal, so it's plausible to say that some will work better than others.

I've used Panasonic's external mic which is somewhat more directional. The mic sensitivity seems to be tied to the zoom, so it does a very nice job in improving the audio, though it is not wireless.

I hope this info might of of some help to you. Ideally, the GH2 should have a true "line" input. Let's hope for the next model!

Latest threads

Top Bottom