Wireless flash triggers

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by longimanus, May 9, 2011.

1. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    I´m actually looking to buy a three set (tx/Rx) devices for remote flash shooting.
    My set has GF1 with Panasonic FL360 and Metz 40 MZ-1.

I find finally two options with a good price/quallity combination:

a/ Cactus V5, what it seems works for any camera/flash brand.
    b/ RF-602, this one I not sure if it is supported for my set, I know that it has remote shutter functionality also that only works for Canon/Nikon cameras, but it is also cheaper that Cactus.

Have you any experience with this camera/flash combination?

Thx in advance for your help

2. steve1111

steve1111 Mu-43 Regular

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have the exact same problem. I purchased this set also from that place whom i will not name but starts with Foto. And the set will not trigger any of my flashes, except one old sunpak that has over a 12 volt trigger voltage. But it works fine as the remote and fine for studio flashes, also it doesn't trigger my friends FL-50 eather.
    If you got it from the same place i did , just return it , its a Bad batch i think . I am sending mine back along with one of my flashes that has a 3.2V Trigger voltage and said if they can't get a set to fire it i want a refund.

4. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I can't say I have experience with those flash but I have the RF-602 that I've been using for over a year now on my Nikon. That same "nikon" one that I have I used it on: Canon, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic camera with no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This might be the answer

I've been looking at this product and I almost ordered it. Regarding the wireless trigger (problem), tell me, how does it interface with the Panasonic camera? Is it using the USB connection, or the 4 conductor mini plug?

The "G" series can't be controlled via USB like many other cameras. I suspect that may be the problem. Does this product pass the TTL data, or is it just a simple strobe interface?

I've used the Cactus as a simple remote flash trigger and they work fine. However, since they don't pass TTL, the exposure is manual.

I've also reached out to the manufacturer to see if they are compatible with Panasonic.

6. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Hey,

I use the RF602 on my EP-2 and E-30 to trigger cheap Chinese (bud very good) flashes.
    Works just fine in strobist photography.
    You need to work manually, because the RF602 do NOT support TTL.
    Strobist is work in manual mode.

I buy my sets on E-Bay,
    Hong Kong to Belgium in 2 or 3 weeks.

Grtz

Jean

• Like Like x 1
  7. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    If you are talking about the RF602, it is just like the cactus, but a different brand. You connect the trigger to the hot shoe on the camera and the receiver to the foot of the flash. It only trigger the flash, it does not do ttl.

At the time there is no wireless trigger that I know of that supports TTL with Panasonic/Olympus camera. There may be a optical trigger from the manufacture that supports TTL but I never used it. Personally I am not a fan of optical trigger because it is line of site and other user can trigger it as well.

BTW, if anyone in the US is interested in buying the RF602, amazon sells it now for about the same price. Can't beat 2 day free shipping(amazon prime) or 1 week for regular free shipping instead of waiting 2-3 weeks if you buy it from ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    I have the RF602 receiver/trigger combo as well, and it works really well on my EP1+ FL36. Now waiting for my second receiver...

Plimsol, care to give us more details on your "cheap Chinese flashes" ? Right now I'm looking at the YN560 - GN58 for a ridiculous price !

• Like Like x 1
  9. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I just ordered the Cactus v5 for my Metz AF44. I'm hoping it'll be a great flash. Shame about the TTL, but I think I can life without it if I'm doing off-camera strobing

• Like Like x 1
  10. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thank you all for all your enlightment responses.

It seems the RF602 is a good and secure option for m4/3 users.
    anyone else with cactus v5 experience?

11. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Gwendal,

I use the Yongnuo YN460 II.
    It is cheaper then the 560, and when you look on the internet you will find that the guide number between 460 and 560 is not much different.
    Yonguo is very optimistic with the guide number of the 560.

When the Admin allows i will put a link to a chinese ebay store.
    By the way, i buy on ebay because i can't find the Yongnuo in Belgian stores.

Grtz,

• Like Like x 1
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

As far as using it in the remote trigger mode, yes it uses the 4 conductor miniplug.

It is just a simple strobe interface. You cant tell from the photo but it has a Hot shoe or a PC min plug interface. No TTL, and exposure is manual.

Yes i understand that, so When you order it, make sure you ask for the Panasonic Lumix remote cable interface. It's the 4 conductor mini plug just for remote shutter triggering, but if you half press it it will also auto focus.

Everything works on my set except the hot shoe wont fire any of my flashes which are all under 10 volts. It only triggers the one 36V trigger volt flash that I have, via the hot shoe.

13. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Merci de ces informations ! (provided you speak French ;-) )
    Actually it seems the 560 has a GN of 58 at ISO100, when the details for the YN460mkII give a GN of 53... at ISO200. But this page : Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlite Review | Speedlights.net gives the 560 an effective GN of 34 ! Getting rather confusing... I'll read on, and probably end up buying the 460 as per your recommendation !

14. lwd

lwd New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
    Glad I found this thread. I just bought a GH2 last week.

I would like to get get an RF-602.. but does it matter whether I get the Nikon or Canon version? (It seems there are two canon versions... C1 and C3)

15. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Finally I ordered a pair of RF-603. I will update this post with my test

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I love Yongnuo for their triggering reliability and affordability. The only thing I hate about them is the cheap physical build of the receivers. I only have 1 receiver left out of a set of 4, although I still have two transmitters. The cheap build of the receivers has also put some of my heavier, expensive flashes at peril. If they only beefed up that one thing, the Yongnuos would be perfect triggers. :)

17. cheekymissn

cheekymissn New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2011
    The Cactus v5s work well on epl2. There size does look a tad silly as they are large unit. The good thing with the cactus V4/V5 triggers is you get faster sync speed, faster than what you will get with the YN 602/603s. The cactus v5s can be used as a shutter remote (like the YN triggers). But I use a YN intervalometer to remote trigger my oly. Both sets work well with both the YN 460/560 flashes as well as my FL36r. I'm fortunate that my partner and I sell both the cactus and YN wireless triggers and flashes so I do get a chance to try them on my oly EPL2 :)

18. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I really like the Cactus V5 so far! Can't wait to mess around with it more once my light stand arrives =D

BTW, I just switched from the Metz 44AF to the Metz 50AF. Definitely, WAAYY better! Hi-speed sync, option to manually zoom from the strobe, and just way more control. The problem with running Olympus's wireless TTL is that the pop-up flash must be up in order to control anything, so I wasn't able to change the zoom on the 44AF while using the Cactus V5 because the Cactus is big enough that you can't pop up the Olympus flash.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    This is exactly the same combination that I would like to try: Cactus v5 plus Metz 50 AF-1. Are you posting any of your results online?

20. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    No way to make RF-603C works on my GF1.

I buy a pair for my wife's CANON set and it works perfect for her (can fire Rf-360, Mezt 40MZ1 and even a third party canon compatible flash unit). Any experience with this set will be usefull.