Wireless Flash trigger High Speed Sync?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jayjayn, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Anyone know if there is any Wireless Flash Triggers for the OM-D that would allow High Speed Sync?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The Olympus built-in RC mode does!

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You can use the FL-LM2, FL-600R or FL-50R as a master and control FL-300R, FL-600R, and FL-50R flashes through Olympus's wireless RC flash control. There are some other flahes that are compatible with these like Metz.

Other than that, not that I know of.

4. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Thx for the response , I know about the Olympus flashes, but I'm more interested in triggering third party flashes such as a strobe or a cheetah light, I know I can do this with my Canon dslr's but hoping there is a solution so I can keep using my om-d in those conditions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Extra high speed is achieved with FP-TTL & that can be through the RC mode.

Unfortunately the FL50R (& FL36R) can't be used as master trigger flashes but can be controlled by the other two (FL-LM2 & FL-600R) in RC mode.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You're absolutly correct about the FL-50R & FL-36R cannot be used as master flahses on the EM-5.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

HSS with 300R via RC (FL-LM2)- I think not.

8. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    so basically there isn't any wireless transmitter's that will trigger non olympus flashes in HSS

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    There is! It's magic! I accidently found this video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7VC80NSvw) where a guy demonstrates that Olympus flash can be radio triggered to high speed sync. I just tested it with E-PL5, FL-600R and el cheapo Cowboy Studio non-TTL radio trigger. I can now sync the flash all the way up to 1/4000s without any darkening. Here are the exact steps:

1. Make sure the camera is NOT in RC mode.
    2. Attach FL-600R (probably FL-36, FL-50, etc should work as well).
    3. Set the flash to FP-M mode (on the flash itself). This can only be done while flash is attached to the camera and cannot be done via Olympus menu.
    4. Remove flash from the camera. You will notice that the flash will display "M" instead of "FP-M".
    5. Attach flash to the receiver.
    6. Attach transmitter to the hot shoe.
    7. Shoot with flash at any shutter speed without limitations of Oly's optical wireless system (which is useless outdoors when you need FP the most)

While you are going through steps 1-7, remember not to turn off either flash or camera. Once you turn off either one, you will see dark frames when shooting at higher than camera's X-sync. You would have to repeat the above steps.

• Like Like x 6
  10. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    @art have you tried this your self on the OMD? i'm tempted to buy a fl36 to try it out

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I tried it on E-PM2, OM-D should work the same

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

12. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I wanted to confirm that this method works with the following:

E-M5
    FL-36
    Flashpoint Rovelight RL-600

I was successfully able to fully expose at 1/4000 sec.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Were you able to expose properly at 1/4000 because the FL-36 was providing the light, or the Rovelight did its job?

To test, I'd point the FL-36 away from the subject, and as well set it to the lowest intensity.

Personally I don't believe these claims as to use the TTL flash in FP mode requires multiple pulses which confuse optical slaves.

14. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I followed the procedure in the video, so started with the FL36 on camera and set flash to FP-manual mode. Then replaced the FL36 with a radio trigger for the Rovelight and got a uniform exposure at 1/4000. The FL36 was turned off so didn't contribute to the exposure, and the Rovelight is a manual studio strobe so no HSS pulsing was happening.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1