1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wireless flash transmitters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Jun 20, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey everyone,

I have two FL600r flashes and have been enjoying using them very much especially wirelessly. There will be some cases where the wireless flash features won't quite work such as putting a flash around a corner so I need good but inexpensive flash triggers.

Any suggestions?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Last I've read, there are NO wireless TTL radio triggers for the Olympus system.

However, you CAN get a generic wireless hotshoe trigger system (only sends FIRE command)...you'll either have to set the flashes to a manual power level, or to Auto (thyresistor)...TTL won't work with these.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Any good but inexpensive triggers you can recommend? My pocket wizards got stolen so I'm looking to purchase some new ones.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I just read (magazine) a group review of triggers, and the easy winner for price v performance was the Phottix Strato II - no impact on X-sync speed, tested to over 200 metres range, and apparently great build quality as well.... pretty rave reviews online for the few I've read on them as well, so can't be bad.....

5. TDP

TDP Guest

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I would look at the Pocket Wizard III, while these are more expensive than the knock-off's, they are the most reliable and can be used as relays. I've never seen a post on this forum where the user had problems, unlike the countless posts from those having problems using the cheap brands. The unit can be used as a receiver or transmitter, takes 2 AA batteries and numerous cables for various camera's and flashes. Here's the link to the Quick Start Guide.
    http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/94310937_PLUSIII_QG_English_v2.0_web.pdf

7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I've been using the Yongnuo RF-602s since they've come out. Very reliable. I think I would get the 603s now though.

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm using Paul C Buff Cybersync Transmitter & Battery Receiver Plus. I love the fact that the transmitter is small and light. On the flashgun side it's like the PW II/III, you need to use PC-Sync cable & a hotshoe with a pc-sync port.

The regular receiver is smaller and lighter, but it won't work with the Cybercommander which I may upgrade to if I get Alienbees or an Einstein studio light.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have the yongnuo pt-16ne triggers, they have a tripod mount and can also hold an umbrella - work well, though as has been stated the flashes will need to be set manually (as well as your camera!). For limited use, they run about $32 on ebay (for a trigger and 3 slaves) so are a pretty good deal.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use Cactus Triggers from MPEX.com

No ttl.

• Like Like x 1
  11. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Cactus V5 is probably the best of the "eBay triggers", if you're looking for a low price point. About $60 for a pair. The Phottix Stratto IIs and the Yongnuo RF-602s have separate Rx/Tx units. The V5s and Yongnuo RF-603s are transceiver units. All four operate on 2.4GHz, so have similar range/interference issues).

The 602s are probably the cheapest (around $30/pair), but use non-standard sync ports (Olympus 3-pin connector, so you end up buying proprietary cords from Yongnuo) and the Tx unit uses a non-standard CR2 battery. All the other units use AAAs, iirc. They do have a PC (in) on the transmitter, though, which is fun if you have a camera without a hotshoe that has a sync port, or you want to use a dumb optical slave with a point'n'shoot's pop-up.

The Stratto IIs (about $90/pair) use a 3.5m jack for sync, and have a TTL pass-through hotshoe (which theoretically might work for Oly if you get the Canon version), and allow for group selection, but only four channels.

The RF-603s are less expensive (also around $30/pair) and have a pass-through hotshoe (not sure if it's TTL or not), but do not have locking rings on the feet, channel selection (of 16 channels) is done with dipswitches in the battery compartment, sync ports are PC (in) and 2.5mm (out), not 3.5mm, and the test button only works if the unit is mounted on the camera hotshoe (using a meter becomes something of PITA). Oh. And the RF603s and RF602s have the on/off switch placed exactly where you can't reach it once a speedlight is mounted.

The Cactus Vs have locking rings, channel selection (of 16) is with a dial on the side, it uses 3.5mm minijack sync, and the on/off switch is where you can easily reach it. AND there are m4/3 shutter release cables for both Olympus and Panasonics, which the Yongnuo's (and afaik, the Strattos) don't.

For better reliability, or inter-operability with other pieces of gear, the Paul Buff Cybersyncs are probably a better bet if you're using Alien Bees/White Lightnings/Einsteins in concert. The PocketWizard Plus IIIs are going to be the most reliable and will work in concert with their TTL units for Canikon, as well as the Multimax, Plus and Plus IIs. But in both of these cases the cost is going to be higher.

12. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It was probably your spellcheck, but the name is 'Aputure', not 'Aperture' for anyone trying to do a search.

14. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hey guys,

Just got the Yongnuo RF - 603 C for my Olympus OM-D. The thing works with my flashes but when I mound it on the OM-D, the OMD doesn't get the 603's to trigger my flash. Any ideas?

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You are trying to use a device that was designed for CANON cameras on your Olympus. They have different TTL protocols.

In searching what a RF-603c was (since you didn't mention that), I found this post where someone modified their device to work with a Panasonic M4/3 camera (which does have the same TTL protocol), but I don't recommend this modification:
    How to get a Yongnuo RF-603C and Panasonic G3 to work together