1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wireless Flash Image thread

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by briandforever, Oct 17, 2010.

1. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    a lot of people asking wether ep-1 ep-2 e-pl1 can use on/off camera flash before they buy.

we all know the answer, "yes", they can fire flash on or off camera: on hot-shoe body, trigger by on-body flash(e-pl1), or using wireless trigger (such as Pocket Wizard)

ep1 ep2 epl1 will work with any brand of flashses such as canon, nikon, even chinese brand that you can easily find on ebay.
    but they have to be in manual mode

let us share images created by on/off camera flash, so the pro can share and be more creative, while the newbie can get the idea of what m4/3 camera can do :)

2. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    first day of epl1
    sb900.

my first model, coke can :)
    sb800.

coke.

this is what i use, can easily found @ ebay
    wirelesstrigger.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  3. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Got a new flash and triggers coming soon for my G1, will try to remember to get some pics up when I do...

4. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    this afternoon, i went to shoot a 1yo bday party.
    i also brought my nikon D700 as my main, but decided only bring 50mm f/1.8, becasue the 24-70 is kinda heavy. and i thought, i'll use e-pl1+kit lens to cover wider angle if needed.

olympus e-pl1 + Nikon SB800 on body, bounce.

flash off
    flash.

flash on
    flash2.

flash off
    flash5.

flash on
    flash6. [

flash off
    flash3.

flash on
    flash4.

flash on, on body, tilted, bounced
    MAL40582fb.

flash7.

conclusion:
    olympus pen is a capable camera for shooting event, all of the pictures above were shoot with Custom white balance, where i found that the CWB works very great.
    the problem im having, is the slow focus. i have only the kit lens with the latest body firmware. JPEG straight out of camera.
    one more thing is the loosing grip to control the body because the sb800 is heavier than the body it self, feels like the hot shoe will break if i move too fast from horizontal to vertical position :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    great to know that this is possible :) thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Great thread idea, and great samples - nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    All taken with Oly E-P1 and one or two Canon 580EXII's fired via ST-E2:

2180715cropped.

2180728-2.

2220763cropped.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 5
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    interesting antonio... just bought an ST-E2 and a 580 for my canon 5D....was wondering if the ST-E2 worked safely on other cameras.

K

9. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Kevin,

You need to tape over the extra terminals and set your 580EX to M. Otherwise, it will not fire.

So far, I have not fried the camera or the ST-E2.

Regards,

Antonio

10. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    The E-PL1 is the only one in the group that has RC mode though, thanks to the built in flash. That doesn't mean much unless you have an Olympus FL-36R (or 50R) of course. But if you do it means you can shoot with the flash up to the 1/2000 of a second off-camera, which is nice for certain situations.

11. joewoo

joewoo New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2010
    [​IMG][/url]
    Sasha by - joe woo -, on Flickr[/IMG]

here's my dog shot in my living room.. i have a setup shot in my flickr stream... feel free to check it out...

[​IMG]"463" height="640" alt="P9150112" /></a>[/IMG]

here's one with a local model.. my first wireless flash shoot with the e-pl1

it gets a little odd using my e-pl1 for studio lit shoots... i mean.. i drag 70lbs of gear and whip out a 2 lb camera hahha...

• Like Like x 2
  12. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    you can win something with this picture, great idea, i should try sometime.

great lighting joewoo

13. specialkalways

specialkalways Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Flash for Olympus Pen Epl-1

i would like to know what other flash can i use on my Olympus Pen epl-1 instead of the FL-14.

Any ideas let me know.
    thanks.

14. You can use all of the Olympus E-system flashes - FL20, FL36, FL36R, FL50, FL50R. The 36s start to feel a bit pendulous on the Pens, the 50s would be even more so.

• Like Like x 2
  15. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    even china made 50$ flashes can work.
    as long as they have hot shoe connector, it will work, but manually

• Like Like x 2
  16. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    What do you mean manually..? I cant have my camera on auto mode ... Is that what you are saying

17. Tritoch

Tritoch New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2010
    New Jersey
    First post! Been a lurker for a couple weeks now... :biggrin:

Got a PL1 about a week ago, absolutely loving it! But finding that the expenses are getting out of hand! :2thumbs:

Received my FL-36R in the mail today and found out that the wireless remote control works very well between my PL1 and the flash. BUT! I had ordered the CowboyStudio Wireless Flash trigger receiver (Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo) around the same time I ordered the FL36R.

Question is, do I need the trigger receiver or no? What would be different between using the RC mode on the camera and using the trigger receiver? Thanks for the help!

18. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    sorry for the late reply.

you can use any mode, but if you are using Auto or Program mode, the results will be out of your control, since the camera doesnt recognize the non-olympus flashes, they dont talk to each other, the camera try to expose as it is no flash used, the results always over expose. thus, using the manual mode is the only choice.

welcome :)

that's a nice trigger, and a good bargain, thou it's under $10 in china.

triggering wireless flash using pop-up flash has limitations:
    - when the wireless flash unit is block/hidden (behind the subject)
    - when the wireless flash unit out of pop-up flash range (high behind the photographer)
    - in the bright midday sun, the harsh bright sunlight might interfere
    - the pop-up flash can interfere to the final exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    Would I have the same problem with the camera not reconizing the flash if i was to get the olympus fl-36r ?

20. specialkalways

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    What exactly does this wireless flash trigger suppose to do...