1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wireless Flash Help

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by icy_se7en, Aug 10, 2011.

1. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I have a Panasonic Lumix G1 with a Yongnuo YN-462 speedlite and a TTL cord for Olympus but works with the Yongnuo since the cord and Panasonic hotshoe have the same pinout.

My problem is finding a wireless flash reciever & transmitter for the Yongnuo that has the same pinout as the Panasonic's hotshoe.
    I've looked on Yongnuo's website and ebay but they only say compatible with Canon, Nikon, Olympus and some Nissin flash's but no Panasonic flash's or camera's so its got me thinking are all Olympus flash accessories compatible with Panasonic's hotshoe since they have the same pinout?

Here are some Yongnuo wireless triggers I've looked at:

4 Ch YN04 II Wireless Flash Trigger 4 Olympus FL-50R 50 | eBay

Yongnuo RF-603 Bllitzausl?ser für olympus FL-50 FL36 | eBay

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    The yn-462 does not use TTL when not wired. Any wireless trigger will only be using the center point. Note: The Olympus flashes don't use the 5 pins either when triggered 'wireless'. They are controlled via coded pre-flashes from the camera flash.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    The YN-462 doesnt have a jack/hole for a wire, just realised that when you said lol. So the Yongnuo RF-603 should work fine without frying my camera since it only uses the center pin?

4. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Yes. I use the RF-603 (I think, might be earlier). No voltage issues.

5. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I was just looking at the RF-603c since it was the only one I could find on ebay in the UK, it dont look like theres any difference between the 603 and 603c. What flash are you using with the RF-603?

6. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    For me RF-603c doesn't work. I have a Panasonic GF1 and I try with fr-360, metz 40mz1 and a third party canon ttl flash.
    The first problem I found is that it is very dificult to insert the trigger unit into the GF1 hotshoe. All the flash units above works without any problem with RF-603c triguers and my wife's canon 40D.
    Any idea???

7. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I have the Rf-602. The 603 seems to have kits that are specific to Canon (603c) and Nikon (603n). The new units are transceivers (can be either transmitter or receiver). The pin configuration is different for Canon and Nikon, and I would guess the cable for remote shutter actuation may also be different.

Oly and Panny configurations are more like Canon, so I'd go with 603c. It will only make a difference for certain non-essential features, like 'wake-up'...and these features may not work at all on Oly and Panny.

Mine is simple: just remote firing of flash.

I've read that the GF1 hotshoe can be tight. I'd try to see what part of the Rf-603 is making it so tight and carefully sand/file that until it fits. Do so at your own risk!

Finally, I can only vouch for the 602. Good luck with the 603 - do report on your experiences!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would use a PC Sync Cable rather than a TTL cable. Any time you're using a non-Four-Thirds flash (by the way, both Olympus and Panasonic flashes are "Four-Thirds Standard" and are always cross-compatible - the flashes are Four-Thirds, not brand-specific) you should always avoid the extra contacts connecting by using a single-contact cable (PC Sync) or trigger (ie, radio or optical). This will allow you to operate the flash in Manual mode with no TTL.

If you must use the TTL cable though, then get the Nikon compatible flash. The Nikon flashes have a pin configuration that seems to work on the Four-Thirds hotshoe with no conflicts. It's just coincidental that way.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Ned,
    The Canon TTL cords have the same pin configuration as Olympus & Panasonic, Nikon is different.
    Sam

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yush, yush, but I was talking about the flash themselves, not the cable.

The Canon TTL cable is interchangeable with the Olympus TTL cable as you say, but that's only if you're using a Four-Thirds flash with Four-Thirds body using that Canon cable. You couldn't mount a Canon-compatible flash on that cable (attached to a Four-Thirds body) because of the identical pin configuration.

The Nikon flashes however, can apparently be mounted directly on a Four-Thirds hotshoe, and the extra pins don't connect. That's what I've been told, anyways... I connect everything with single-contact adapters anyways.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Ned,
    That is correct, besides the dedicated Olympus flashes, I also use Nikon SB-26's & SB-800's when I want more power and shoot in full manual or "old fashion" auto flash (non-TTL).
    When in comes to TTL cords, I learned the hard way, there is no reliable substitute to the Olympus brand cord. I have 3 off-brand cords that only work in TTL when THEY want to, seems the pin locations are slightly out of spec and the locking devise isn't very good and allows for movement and loss of pin contact. They work fine for manual or regular auto, but not TTL.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have an off-brand TTL cord which started not working like that... I threw it away, or rather packed it away somewhere I'll never find it again. Not a big deal, as I never use flash in TTL anyways... The only thing I liked about the cord was how the camera puts the flash to sleep when I turn it off. Now I have to push the off button myself. xP

13. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    The Yongnuo YN-642 only has one pin so it should only use that one pin to fire right? wether its connected directly to the camera or reciever/transeiver it shouldnt make a difference from what you guys are saying?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, if it only has one pin it's compatible with all makes which use the same hotshoe (assuming digital-spec voltage)... which is the same for everybody except Sony and Minolta.

• Like Like x 1
  15. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Hmm ok thanks to you and everyone else! I'll have to wait and see what happens when the RF-603c comes, i'll post back here to let everyone know if it works or not :)

16. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    If its still not working I was going to say try buying a Yongnuo flash thats compatible with the RF-603c since that might be a problem aswell. Do the flash's you listed work on the GF1 by themself connected to the hotshoe without a wireless trigger?
    Ive only tried the Yongnuo YN-462 and a Miranda 650-OM flash lights on my G1 so I dont know/have any experience with the flash's you listed

17. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    The PANASONIC FL-360 of course works fine, also the metz mz1-40 also works on manual mode. I did not try the canon third party one. Anyway all of them works for my wife's canon 40D.

18. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Well I can understand the Canon third party one working on a Canon body, what brand is it exactly and does it use more than one pin if so that could be a problem not being compatible with :43: body. The Metz might be compatible with Canon bodies but not fully compatible with a :43: body, have you got a manual for it?

I was just thinking maybe the Metz and Canon third party ones might be compatible with the RF-603c but not on a :43: body only on a Canon body, like I dont think they would be cross compatible i'd buy a Yongnuo flash just to try it out 1st

19. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I found out why the RF-603c wont work on a Panasonic, the hotshoe and its pins are slightly out of adjustment to a Panasonic hotshoe fitting so heres a modification I done using my Pixel brand Olympus/Panasonic TTL cord.

I removed this strobe trigger connection 1st as I know I wont be using it:
    [​IMG]

Soldered wires from RF-603 to TTL cord circuit and removed the circuit board from the RF-603:
    [​IMG]

Crappy phone pictures of the modification working:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. maxi75uio

maxi75uio New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012