Wireless Flash for GH2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. I have a GH2 and an Olympus FL-36 flash, which is the same as the Panasonic FL360. I would like to add a wireless trigger to the camera along with a trigger for the FL-36 and then a second flash trigger and another flash. Since I would use these units in manual mode, I don't need TTL or any other fancy features other than manual output control.

I've looked at a number of trigger systems and I believe I need to get the camera trigger that is designed to work with the Panasonic cameras and a primary flash trigger that is designed to work with the FL-36. For the second flash, I think I could use a generic trigger as long as it is in the right frequency and uses the correct address code. I'm assuming that the second flash could be quite generic since it would not need to have Panasonic's unique interface, nor have TTL features.

Can anyone recommend a flash trigger system that would meet these requirements and has been tested with Panasonic equipment? What would you recommend for a second flash with a minimum GN of 50?

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Let me disabuse you of this notion. If you are going to mix TTL and manual triggers, the triggers will have to be the same brand and have to be compatible. The operating frequency is NOT guarantee of compatibility. Nor is the brand, actually. For example, Yongnuo's RT, 622, and 603 triggers all operate on 2.4GHz, and are all incompatible with each other. The only way to get both to work together is to stack triggers (or have signals relay from transmitter to transmitter, but it's completely weird). Other brands are better about unit compatibility, but none of them make TTL triggers for micro four-thirds.

And there basically aren't any TTL radio triggers for micro four thirds, other than the AOTEC triggers (and not a lot is known about them). Yongnuo and PocketWizard are Canikon only. Pixel and Phottix, AFAIK, don't yet have Olympus/Panasonic-compatible TTL triggers, either. And none of the manual-flash power control triggers work with 4/3 TTL flash gear (e.g., Cactus V6 says they're working on it, but it's not there yet), and for power control on a manual-only flash, most of them only work with a specific model of the same-brand flash (e.g., YN-560-TX only controls the power on a YN-560III. Cactus V6 only controls the power of one manual flash: the Cactus RF60. The Godox triggers control power of only Godox manual flashes.

Mixing and matching in this area has a lot of pitfalls.

And then there's the problem of mixing TTL and manual triggering, especially if you go optical.

Generally, I think what you want doesn't yet exist: micro four-thirds-specific TTL radio triggers. The AOTECs supposedly work by taking the optical RC signals and changing them to radio, but I have no idea if they'd be compatible with an FL-36 that doesn't speak the RC protocol, and I think you've only got ratio (TTL) control, not Manual power levels.

I actually do have manual power level remote control over my flashes from my GX-7. But I'm using Canon TTL flashes and Yongnuo YN-622C triggers and a YN-622C-TX. But that's expensive if you don't own Canon gear. :) your best bet, really, is to go for a bunch of YN-560III flashes and a YN-560-TX.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think that the Op is actually saying that although he has the TTL FL36r if he combines with another flash or possibly 2 'off camera', he doesnt need to use the TTL functionality of the FL36r. But if he does want to use the TTL functionality of his FL36r 'off camera' with radio based wireless triggers he is out of luck because it cant currently be done. Nor can he manually control the flash power of the FL36r from his camera.

I agree that his first best solution is for off camera flash is

Not use the FL36r and buy 2 x 560iiis Yongnuos (or 3x) and the TX 560 trigger (no receivers needed). Manual control of power for all his flashes on camera. Yes he ends up buying an extra flash but they are very cheap (US$70) and pretty good.

Second best solution.....

Use the FL36r, buy a Yongnuo 560iii and 2x transceivers - 603ii. This is slightly cheaper and one transceiver can act as a receiver for his FL36r (to manually trigger it) and the other transceiver can be used as a trigger for both flashes. Power control will be on flash.

The price/performance/functionality for the Yongnuo 560iii 'system' is pretty much unbeatable if you ask me for M43.

4. I probably should have posted my question in the Lighting Forum. There is a lot of good information there.

I've ordered a Yongnuo YN560III and a pair of 605 triggers, which are updated 603 models. I think this will work fine with the FL-36 that I have and the second flash will provide me with better lighting options. I grabbed a 300 LED video light also. Time to get "un" natural light into my skill set!

Robbie 36, you are correct. I'm not trying to get TTL metering with the FL-36. It will all be manual settings, which is why I'm pretty confident that this will all work.

5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, that's not what I was assuming. :) My assumption was that "I don't need TTL or any other fancy features other than manual output control" (and that he was talking about triggers) meant that he wanted triggers that provided wireless manual power control.

Yes. They're an update over the RF-603II triggers (Yongnuo stuff proliferates like rabbits), and adds the ability to turn groups on/off if you're using a YN-560-TX transmitter on the hotshoe. Still no remote power control, though, over anything but the YN-560III.

Yes. They'll trigger the FL-36R just fine. You simply won't have remote power control over the FL-36 as you would over the YN-560III--if you're using a YN-560-TX transmitter. But with a YN-560-TX as transmitter, and a 605 as a receiver on the FL-36R, you'd have the ability to turn one or the other flash off (for the shot) remotely if the YN-560III and the 605 used as a receiver are set to different groups. If you're only using 605 transceivers, then it's just triggering control on both flashes.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Are we sure that the YN-560-TX is compatible with the new 605 transceivers?

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    • Like Like x 1