1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wireless Flash for EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TJC-MFT, Apr 6, 2015.

1. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    I am looking for a recommendation for a wireless transmitter for my OMD EM-1.
    I would like to use off camera flash.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Which flashes do you intend to use?

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've always liked and have good experience with the Radio Popper JrX Studio setup. Allows remote power manipulation from the transmitter with flashes that use quench pins for power signals. I currently am able to use Alien Bee studio strobes and Nikon SB22/26/28/600 flash units on any of my cameras including Nikon, Fuji and Olympus.

4. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

The Cactus v5 worked well for me but I have recently switched over to a set of Yongnuo 560 III's with the wireless transmitter (560tx) on the em1 and I like this set-up much better, both for its functionality and cost. Being able to set the levels of remote flashes from the camera is very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    I use the Cactus 6 and love them. Long range and compatible with Olympus compatible flashes so you can control flashes from the camera. Alternatively, get an Oly compatible flash with wireless capability and control it from the internal camera software. I have a couple of Metz 58 AF2s for Oly and love them. Use them with camera control unless I'm doing studio work adding other flashes then I use my Cactus 6s.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you already have Olympus or Panasonic wireless capable flashes or the Metz, mentioned above, the built in wireless works much better than most try to have us believe.

7. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Thanks for the input everyone. This gives me some systems to explore.
    Clint, could you expand on your comment further?
    To fire a remote flash (slave), would't I need to have a master flash on the camera hotshot?

8. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    You can do it with the camera's included flash. The manual explains it. Basically, a screen pulls up that let's you adjust Olympus-compatible flashes. I have 2 Metz(Oly) 58-AF2s and a small Oly FL300R and can control them all using the OEM flash as the master on my EM5.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Yes you do need a master flash. As Steve mentioned you can use the included FL-LM2 with the E-M1 and also, the FL-300R, FL-600R, or FL-50R (plus some others) as masters . The FL-600R and FL-50R offers the ability to swivel the head maximizing the ability to fire the slave remotes. I keep a FL-LM2 and FL-600R in my camera bag almost all of the time and use the FL-LM2 as the master when needed.

If I know I'll be using remote flash and maybe umbrellas or soft boxes then I bring along a couple of FL-50Rs for slaves and use the FL-600R as a master. For problematic situations then I bring along syncs, hot shoes, etc. but not all that often. Even in direct sunlight with FL-50Rs in Apollo soft boxes using a FL-600R master I can get consistent firings - but it does take some experimentation to find out what works well.

10. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Using softboxes and the associated challenges with getting the in-camera wireless to connect is one scenario where I switch to my Cactus 6 system.