1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

wired remote shutter question (E-M10)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sammykhalifa, Jun 26, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with using my wireless remote. I connect it, hit the button, and the camera finds focus and locks it. But it won't trigger the shutter.

Now it's quite possible there's a problem with my (generic) cable. But I'm wondering if there's some setting in the camera I need to use to get it to work. I tried looking in the manual, but we all know how useful that is.

Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks.

2. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Cable on wireless? If it's wired, take it apart and make sure the contacts are working correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks Randy. I didn't see anything wrong, but when I put it back together I can get it to shutter (if I press really had). I think I paid about seven dollars for this trigger, so I'd prefer it be that and not the camera. I was just not sure if I had to had it in Manual focus or something like that.

Thanks.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Again, cable with a wireless remote? What cable?

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Post-Script: why not just use the free Olympus app for a wireless remote on your smart phone?

• Like Like x 2
  6. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Oh, it was cabled, sorry about that. I opened it up and messed with the little metal contacts, and after some experimenting got it to work a little better.

It's an "Opteka" replacement for the RM-UC1 that I bought about a year ago from a certain rainforested web-based bookstore. Looks like it's currently listed at 4.95 for anyone that's interested.

Also, good point about the smartphone app. Heh.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I suggest you go back and edit the 1st post to have the title "wired remote shutter question (E-M10) ". You will have to click advanced after you click edit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Hey, I like the idea of a "Wireless/Wired" remote. Only need one in your bag!

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Oh geez, I didn't even see I had done that.

No wonder why there was all of the confusion!

10. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    The E-M10 is a bit tighter so many of the cable shutter releases (at least 3rd party ones) don't go completely into the socket. Check if the plug goes completely into the socket, otherwise take a knife and remove a bit of the surrounding black plastic around the plug of the cable release. This way I could fix mine easily.

Attached Files:

• uc1.
      uc1.png
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views: