1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Winter shooting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Jan 14, 2013.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I find myself fairly depressed as I've had my new OMD and 3 new lenses for a week and a half and I've barely used it. The problem - 2 days after I received it the temps plummeted. I'm not very good adlibbing photo ops around the house. I like to be outside. I'm not afraid of the cold, in fact I embrace it running every day almost regardless of the weather or temps. However, I can't seem to crack the winter shooting nut. The problem is my hands freeze. Any gloves thick enough to stand up to 0-30 degrees for any length of time are useless for operating a camera. Has anyone come up with any good solutions? Any thin battery powered gloves?? (Half joking only). Even when I shot the night skyline that I posted last week, it was mid 30s and my hands hurt after about 10 min in and out of gloves. And that's at temps that I can still run in shorts! Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. I'm dying to play with my new toy and a want to be able to shoot more regularly in the winter in general.

Thanks,
    Zach

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Grab 2 hand warming sachets...the type snowboarders/skiers use and put one in each coat pocket. They last a good 4-8 hrs and should cost less than a dollar each if you buy a 10 or 20 pack. Worked for me in BC when it was -25 out...my hands still got cold when shooting but a minute or 2 of holding the sachets in my pocket helped.

Also very handy for keeping spare batteries warm.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Zach!

There's a thread on winter shooting here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f35/photographing-winter-38469/

with a couple of tips on gloves starting at post #8.

Also Adorama has an article on cold weather shooting gloves here:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0012843/article/Buying-Guide-Gloves-for-Photographers

And, finally, if there's a golf pro store near you check out the gloves they sell for winter golf; an alternative would be a store that supplies hunters shooting gloves.

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    In the winter I use a pair of the north face etip gloves under a pair of the fingerless mittens with flip up finger cover. Works a treat. :)

• Like Like x 1