Winter shooting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Jan 14, 2013.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I find myself fairly depressed as I've had my new OMD and 3 new lenses for a week and a half and I've barely used it. The problem - 2 days after I received it the temps plummeted. I'm not very good adlibbing photo ops around the house. I like to be outside. I'm not afraid of the cold, in fact I embrace it running every day almost regardless of the weather or temps. However, I can't seem to crack the winter shooting nut. The problem is my hands freeze. Any gloves thick enough to stand up to 0-30 degrees for any length of time are useless for operating a camera. Has anyone come up with any good solutions? Any thin battery powered gloves?? (Half joking only). Even when I shot the night skyline that I posted last week, it was mid 30s and my hands hurt after about 10 min in and out of gloves. And that's at temps that I can still run in shorts! Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. I'm dying to play with my new toy and a want to be able to shoot more regularly in the winter in general.

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Grab 2 hand warming sachets...the type snowboarders/skiers use and put one in each coat pocket. They last a good 4-8 hrs and should cost less than a dollar each if you buy a 10 or 20 pack. Worked for me in BC when it was -25 hands still got cold when shooting but a minute or 2 of holding the sachets in my pocket helped.

Also very handy for keeping spare batteries warm.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Zach!

There's a thread on winter shooting here:

with a couple of tips on gloves starting at post #8.

Also Adorama has an article on cold weather shooting gloves here:

And, finally, if there's a golf pro store near you check out the gloves they sell for winter golf; an alternative would be a store that supplies hunters shooting gloves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    In the winter I use a pair of the north face etip gloves under a pair of the fingerless mittens with flip up finger cover. Works a treat. :)
    • Like Like x 1