Winter Photography goals

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This winter I am going to concentrate on stills lifes and landscapes with my G9's high res. I've setup an area for my small light box and will try and shot at least twice a week with it and my lighting. I will try and take some big city scapes (if you call Portland a big city) and small cities close to Portland. I have not done this is a while as for 10 years during this time of year I produced a catalog using a 6 x 9 format camera and shot literally thousands of images of in 13 hours days. I will be using my 12-35mm and Oly 60mm for this and if I enjoy it will get a few more primes.

What are your goals for this winter shooting seasons and how do you plan to execute them? Do you change what you image over the seasons? How many of you are using cameras with High Res option and how do you use it?

joma416

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Well I haven't been shooting much lately, so I obviously want to start shooting more but that is a pretty loose goal.

Since I am in Canada and winter is approaching, I will have several months of dark days in front of me. So I might as well use that as an opportunity to improve my night photography. In addition I am also setting the following goals:

1. Finish a few of the photography books gathering dust on my shelf.
  2. Improve my post processing.
  3. Get out shooting during some inclement winter weather.
  4. I am also thinking about enrolling in an analog photography class that starts in January.

Some of the above goals are very broad or vague. I tend to do better with a smaller set of well defined goals rather than many broad goals. So step one will be to make my goals clearer.

Indoor macros inside a DIY lightbox I made. Hi-res mode never worked for me so I am willing to give it a try one more time. Also, planning to build DIY diffusers. My current diffusers are lacking somewhere and I end up with blown highlights so I want to fix those.

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
I like the idea of setting goals down here, as it will guide me toward being productive.

1. Work on images that I print for use in an art project with a friend.
  2. Environmental portraiture with winter window light.
  3. Night shots in our small downtown, and some of the neighboring even smaller towns.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I'm still working on my autumn goals. :blush: I was waiting for PhotoLab 3 to be released and for non-photography things to get done. Now I'm hitting my backlog of photos, experimenting with and improving my post-processing. I'm making firm decisions about what software to keep and what to uninstall. This winter, I plan to take photos with simpler subjects and compositions than I'm used to - close-ups, portraits in nature and architecture, and low-light macro work.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Maybe this is the winter i shoot/digitize a bunch of slides with gx7 and zd35 macro? Plenty of negatives too, but slides first.

And like @tkbslc the library needs work, I've dumped all to a 2Tb drive and re-sorted but that's all.

Traceyjj

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tracey
Winter goals... hmm,
1. To catch up on my processing.
2. To finish my online photography course I started in April while I was on knee surgery recovery.
3. To find photo project (I keep saying I would like to take photos of the outside of public buildings in the dark but its usually too cold for my liking)
4. To organise my recent photos (tag/keyword and map)

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
For the last 4 winters in a row, my goal has been to finally sort through my 15 years of poorly organized digital photos. Maybe 5th time is the charm? ?

Get out of my NAS!

;)

These are also my goals for the winter. I don't carry a tripod enough to use HR. Unless they add HHR to the EM1.2 this winter.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Try to find some "Winter" related subjects. Maybe in December when I am going to North of Thailand. I will see some people wearing thick Jackets.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
We don't really have a winter here insomuch as "fall colours" etc. There seems to be less UV haze in winter so landscapes should improve and the temperatures are kinder which is an incentive to get out more. Summer is 1st Dec but we're already hitting 30 here so winter shooting is a long way off. When the temps hit 30+ I tend to stay indoors but slow aperture ambient lighting is a no no with the fans and air con blowing so I'll be focusing on lighting setups in the coming months to freeze any motion caused by them. I could turn 'em off but apart from my gear, they're my only real luxury as I hate the heat/humidity ?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Winter goals, all I see where I live at the moment is smoke from backburning to help reduce the upcoming bushfires.
Terrible haze all the time currently.
Just hopeing a few spiders come out over the Christmas summer so I can try some macro again.

sbm

Sam
Real Name
Sam
I want to improve my sports photography. As football and volleyball come to a close, basketball season is on the horizon. Being the sport I played the most growing up, I feel more comfortable predicting the action than any other. So I hope to be able to refine my technique and possibly keeper rate since it should be easier for me to find the shot.

I also want to stop procrastinating and list some of my equipment for sale.

Lastly, I’m helping some of my co-workers who are journalists (writers first) with some photo skills to improve their ability to gather images for stories, so we should probably set some goals together.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
A little late, but running as fast as I can. Got a small table top space started before the first storm hit. I hope to expand volunteer work with people and families in need (like shelters or court protection) with imagery that looks like normal family life. I hope to get over my shyness and get two personal projects going. I have started a complete makeover of the gallery/living space.

Latest threads

Top Bottom