1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

winter night sentinel

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by krugorg, Nov 21, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6380454081/" title="snowy night by krugorg, on Flickr">"720" height="1000" alt="snowy night"></a>

• Like Like x 8
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I like it. What was the ISO?

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks!

It was ISO 200, believe it or not. It is a heavy crop, probably only 25% of the original image. I added a decent amount of grain in Silver Efex during PP.

4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I like it.

Not saying this in a scathing manor, but I'm not sure about "digital grain." Any chance of getting a look at the original to compare and see what you've done :)

What is it anyways? Certainly don't see many buildings & lights like that here in the UK I don't think!

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I appreciate the comments and any critique/tips always!

I think I know what you are saying about adding digital grain - seems counter-intuitive. I usually only add a moderate amount in high ISO images, or where I am going for a vintage effect. I have noticed on other images, though, that the grain can add some depth to the photo. I may be crazy on this effect.

I do have a few a tubes in my audio setup (with a "digital" amplifier, so maybe I am just confused)... it's added distortion, but I like the sound. I guess the analogy may not hold well, as the distortion is from an analog source rather than digitally simulated.

Anyways, here was the full original. Nothing special, but I did like the light coming from the building and the skyline silhouette. It is a nice little city park down below, and that is what the light is illuminating.
    [​IMG]

I also gave it a go in color and didn't like it as well as the B&W... maybe need to desaturate more and darken.

[​IMG]

6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Mmmm . Nice ! Like the colour version best .

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I think I prfer the b&w - has a sort of gothic feel . . .

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The color versions look like a giant Dalek or something (thinking here for Tom Baker's era).

Or maybe Sauron's tower in Jackson's LOTR?

• Like Like x 1
  9. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I like it! Makes me think of Batman's Gotham City mixed with mobsters XD haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm assuming that's Minneapolis, yes? I had a chance to move and work there back in the 1980s. I'm still kicking myself for not going. Nice work with the sentinel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for all the nice comments and feedback!

The photo was taken across the river in downtown St. Paul. I lived in Minneapolis before getting married and now in the eastern burbs. It is a nice city to live in, lots of nature and things to do, as long as you can deal with the winter. Never too late to move, though. :smile:

12. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I actually appreciate the photo a lot more now that I've seen the original :smile: I thought the white lines were part of the grain effect you'd added. I didn't realise it was snow fall.

It's got a very nice gothic comic book feel. Sort of like the future that you read about or saw in sci-fi from the 80's. Robocop era :smile:

• Like Like x 1