1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

winter night sentinel

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by krugorg, Nov 21, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6380454081/" title="snowy night by krugorg, on Flickr"> View attachment 183411 "720" height="1000" alt="snowy night"></a>

• Like Like x 8
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I like it. What was the ISO?

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks!

It was ISO 200, believe it or not. It is a heavy crop, probably only 25% of the original image. I added a decent amount of grain in Silver Efex during PP.

4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I like it.

Not saying this in a scathing manor, but I'm not sure about "digital grain." Any chance of getting a look at the original to compare and see what you've done :) 

What is it anyways? Certainly don't see many buildings & lights like that here in the UK I don't think!

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I appreciate the comments and any critique/tips always!

I think I know what you are saying about adding digital grain - seems counter-intuitive. I usually only add a moderate amount in high ISO images, or where I am going for a vintage effect. I have noticed on other images, though, that the grain can add some depth to the photo. I may be crazy on this effect.

I do have a few a tubes in my audio setup (with a "digital" amplifier, so maybe I am just confused)... it's added distortion, but I like the sound. I guess the analogy may not hold well, as the distortion is from an analog source rather than digitally simulated.

Anyways, here was the full original. Nothing special, but I did like the light coming from the building and the skyline silhouette. It is a nice little city park down below, and that is what the light is illuminating.
    [​IMG]

I also gave it a go in color and didn't like it as well as the B&W... maybe need to desaturate more and darken.

[​IMG]

6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Part time philistine

Aug 10, 2011
    Yes
    Forgot
    Mmmm . Nice ! Like the colour version best .

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I think I prfer the b&w - has a sort of gothic feel . . .

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The color versions look like a giant Dalek or something (thinking here for Tom Baker's era).

Or maybe Sauron's tower in Jackson's LOTR?

• Like Like x 1
  9. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I like it! Makes me think of Batman's Gotham City mixed with mobsters XD haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm assuming that's Minneapolis, yes? I had a chance to move and work there back in the 1980s. I'm still kicking myself for not going. Nice work with the sentinel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for all the nice comments and feedback!

The photo was taken across the river in downtown St. Paul. I lived in Minneapolis before getting married and now in the eastern burbs. It is a nice city to live in, lots of nature and things to do, as long as you can deal with the winter. Never too late to move, though. :smile:

12. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I actually appreciate the photo a lot more now that I've seen the original :smile: I thought the white lines were part of the grain effect you'd added. I didn't realise it was snow fall.

It's got a very nice gothic comic book feel. Sort of like the future that you read about or saw in sci-fi from the 80's. Robocop era :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.