Winter Moth

DrLazer

Mu-43 Regular
Only one image of this moth I am afraid. I'm not sure what size moths have to be to be classed as "micro-moths" or "macro-moths". I would guess this one is a micro moth. Photographed through a 10x Nikon Achromat 0.25, Nikon SB24 for lighting and plasticine for the background.

Christmas haircut?

View attachment 186121
White Headed Moth by Craig.Taylor, on Flickr

Click the Facebook Like button! Not seen that bad-boy before. :p

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Hey Craig,
Is that "horn" thing out front his nose? Awesome work as usual!

DrLazer

Mu-43 Regular
If you wanted a serious answer .... I believe it is a mouthpart used for sorting food before it eats it. the curly thing at the front is the proboscis, which works like a straw ... it sucks up tasty stuff and then the horn like object sorts it for digestion. Something like that anyway, I think "labial palp" or something similar is the correct name. This is the first arthropod I have ever seen with scaled mouthparts - very interesting (to me anyway)

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Craig,
Confusingly there is no hard and fast rule, so some micros are bigger than some macros. generally the micros are considered to be more primitive with many of them not having evolved a proboscis, so I guess the jury is out on that one, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at it's identity from that excellent close up.

Barrie

DrLazer

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info!.
I'm pretty sure it is Swammerdamia caesiella. When I read the description for that moth is meets every single characteristic. Except ..... It's not August. If the ID is correct then obviously they exist much later than the books suggest, if the ID is incorrect it must be something very similar ... as to what though, I am at a loss.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Thanks for the info!.
I'm pretty sure it is Swammerdamia caesiella. When I read the description for that moth is meets every single characteristic. Except ..... It's not August. If the ID is correct then obviously they exist much later than the books suggest, if the ID is incorrect it must be something very similar ... as to what though, I am at a loss.

There are normally two broods per year and the second should have pupated by the end of October to overwinter as a pupa. There have been instances of third broods of certain species due to the very mild Autumn and I would suggest that if it is this species it's more likely to be an unusual instance of a third brood.

Barrie

Latest threads

Top Bottom