1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

winning?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I was just thinking the notion that a product "wins" a battle over another product or one company "beats" the other company. While it can clearly be the case that one company is successful with a certain product while their competitors are not (such as Apple) but I think the metaphor is a bit thin when you think of things like...

The Cardinals winning one of the most exciting World Series games I can recall...

20111028_WORLDSERIES_337-slide-LW9L-blog480.

..."won" seems fitting.

The people of Libya line up to see the body of Gaddafi...

article-1319274532178-0E7B1A3900000578-682290_466x310.

...if they want to say they've "won" they have earned the right to say it (for as long and as often as they want).

A digital camera???

[​IMG]

...seems pretty mundane by comparison.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    In British (and Commonwealth) culture we have the concept of an honourable draw and sporting contests don't have to have a winner except in a knockout tournament. Even after five days play in the case of a cricket test. I'm happy to apply this to cameras too :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're just a sore loser, dixeyk... since my camera beats yours. ;)

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    :rofl:

well played sir...well played.

5. OMG, this thread is too true!

I don't quite know why, but if there is one statement spoken on camera forums that amuses/annoys me, it is the concept that with the release/imminent release/rumoured release of just one camera it implies that it has "won".

Phew, glad that's off my chest! From now on I can just LMAO when I see it instead of getting annoyed.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't know why it is that analogy keeps coming up. Folks sure get worked up about it though. Some forums are just a free for all when it comes to declaring a winner. suppose the very nature of a site like [insert your choice of review site here] for instance where everything is reviewed, scored and graded would tend to promote that sort of thinking. Also these aren't exactly cheap toys we all play with so folks get pretty invested in their decisions so that must play a role in it as well.

So how come you never see a flame war over something really banal like chopsticks, underwear or athletic socks?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think we have to worry about it. Sony is going to win the war anyways. That ain't gonna change what I shoot with. ;)

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm supposed to win? Okay, but I thought the battle was trying to capture an image that is what I saw before I pulled the trigger. Boy do I feel stupid now...

9. Yep, the sooner one that one company wins, declares themselves as Super Global Mega Corp and implant us with our career chips, the sooner all our speculating will be over...

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm getting ready to have all my clothes imprinted with the logo of whomever wins...I'm pulling for Polaroid...nice four color logo with nice type...looks good on black.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I agree with this completely. I was halfway through writing up a reply in the inanely-started "Olympus beats Panasonic" thread and decided to take a break and put it to the side for now. Thank you for posting this. There is so much brand/model war on this forum, more than any other forum I've ever seen, barring a few threads about Apple online. All of the brand warfare on this forum is highly disappointing.

Wow, you guys are hard on them! They are in 2nd place for franchise wins, with 11, and it's only been 5 years since they took their last World Series. They're one of 2 teams to get dual wins in this century, I'd say they're on the right track! I can't imagine how you'd describe Milwaukee or Texas, who have never won at all!

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

The "my brand can beat up your brand" is pretty tedious and I have also thought it seemed to be getting more frequent here (that was not always the case). I like my camera and like everyone here I had reasons that I picked it over anther brand but just because I don't like some feature or quirk doesn't mean anything more than I don't like it.

I remember years ago I took a photography seminar from Art Wolfe. It was a lot of fun and he is a very approachable and friendly sort. A few hour into it several folks started geeking out about his Canon gear and someone asked him why he felt Canon gear was superior and so forth. He looked at te camera he was holding and then us and said that used to use Nikon gear and it was stolen after a shoot so Canon came in and gave him new gear (for free). The Canon guys in the group were devastated. I thought it was great. He basically used what he used because he got it free. Gear is just gear and Canon makes fine gear...and so do Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, Olympus etc. FWIW I was toting around an Olympus 2100UZ that day (it's all I had) and got some great shots of a barred owl.

[​IMG]

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    oh yeah...Congrats Cardinals!!! THAT was winning!

OB-QI655_1028se_G_20111028233403.

14. Oh, didn't you know? It's actually Panasonic who beats Olympus...sheesh :biggrin:

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh well that's different...I agree with that. :rofl:

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    And, conversely, I always laugh at the instant "FAIL!" we get from forum posters when a brand-new camera that they've never touched or tried to use - much less read a full review about - doesn't fulfill every last one of their specification check points.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Where does this leave me and my film? :biggrin: