Wine appreciation (or not)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Vincen77o, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    As there are quite a few people from Oz on this forum, I wondered how many have drunk 'Yellow Tail' Shiraz and is it appreciated (or not) at home. My impressions are it tastes like drinking liquid caramel, not too unpleasant and going down well with the Who on iTunes.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's available in the US - my wife likes it. I prefer Bullers Portly Gentleman tawny port. :biggrin:

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Ah yes, the wine 'experts' ...

My favourite story is the taster who, after and during much sniffing, gargling, swilling proclaims: "Yes, St. Emilion, the road to Bordeaux, third vineyard on the right; <gargle, swill, sniff> second row of vines, first vine in the row; <sniff, swill, gargle> harvested at knee-height, aaaand, if I'm not mistaken, pressed by Jacques left foot!"

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I know Jacques.

P7080092-X2.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Gary, your apposite photos never cease to amaze me :)

6. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    I appreciate that the Yellow Tails and very similar Alice Whites can be picked up for around $5 a bottle. Not bad wines for the price.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I generally drink Reislings. I don't care too much for anything dryier.

I do like yellow tail's shiraz-cab for making braised beef.

8. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I've just come back from France.

Last time we went there, we drove to Beaune and Chablis, camped and spent a small fortune buying not many bottles of very nice wine.

This time we stayed in a very lovely hotel on the north coast (The Atlantic in Wimereux if you're interested), and hit the hypermarkets instead of the vineyards.

We've bought a lot of wine this time... Some as cheap as €2.50 a bottle, and it's perfectly drinkable. It's not quite as complex, but it goes down well and successfully takes the edge off after a day in the office just as well :)

9. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    I spend lots of time in France, friends living there etc. French wine in France is wonderful, unfortunately they won't sell the British their decent stuff unless we pay premium for it.
    Yellow Tail for cooking Beef? Caramel and Blackcurrants, sounds good.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thank you BigTam. I try to be Johnny-on-the-spot. While I see Yellow-Tail in the shops around here but I've never partaken of the contents.

185211935_MLfSk-L-1.
    Main gear from a Grape Press from Mission San Gabriel (Greater Los Angeles area - cira 1780).

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I lived in Paris for a spell. My hosts/business associates and I would argue the virtues of French and California on nearly a daily basis, lol.

P7080093.

Gary

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah...love this thread....
    I must say that when I was deployed to Italy, I enjoyed some fine wine like no other! :smile:

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I must assume you were never stationed in California (here we go again, lol), like Vandenberg or Travis ...

P7080032.

G

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

LoL TDY to Vandenberg for about a day and a half - but lived in Conegliano for 3 months :biggrin:

15. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Lived in Lisbon for about three years while in the Navy. Table wine was cheaper than soda, so guess what we drank for lunch and dinner every day? :drinks:

The Portuguese reds were quite full-bodied. Developed a fondness for Vinho Verde, a very young white wine with a nice "bite" to it.

16. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    I used to drink Yellow Tail fairly frequently in the USA or Oz. Haven't seen it at all here in the UK tho. I remember it being cheap and cheerful, highly quaffable but rather lacking in subtlety. Perfect for a bbq or a quiet night in.

17. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yellow Tail Shiraz would break my £5 a bottle limit here in the UK, although the choice in that range is becoming increasingly limited.
    I'm currently enjoying a surprisingly nice Sainsbury's own brand Soave.

18. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I'm in Europe and tend not to buy wines from other continents, because I feel I'm paying more for the transport than the content, and not doing the environment any good either. So call me a tree-hugger ...

Anyone know how much the transport costs are? Maybe I can enjoy a good Chilean or Australian then :)

19. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    It's in Tescos, exactly £5 a bottle. Don't all rush.

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    One of the nicest Australian Shiraz I've ever had the pleasure to drink is the Wolf Blass Gold Label. Not cheap, but if I find a decent deal on it again I will be buying more than the one bottle I got on a whim. Well-rounded, peppery, little dry and full of fruit - but perfectly balanced.