Windows 8/7 question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jaomul, Jul 29, 2014.

1. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Hi all,

Maybe through ignorance I dislike Windows 8. My laptop is about to die and I can get a good deal on a Windows 8 with good spec, 8gb ram, Intel I3 etc. My only option for similar spec in Windows 7 is more expensive, refurbished and I can't get locally.

My questions are, I know there are options to make 8 similar to 7. Has anyone here done this?Is this difficult? Is it worth the effort?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I went through exactly the same situation with my wife's laptop in the last week; I wrote about it here:

Despite my post, in your situation, I would buy the Windows 8.1 laptop, as you can get it to work once you overcome some hurdles. Windows 8.1 is not quite as bad as the original Windows 8 (so make sure that it's ver 8.1) and can be wrestled into a relatively frustration free system. I would not buy a more expensive refurb, especially sight unseen.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Ditto on 8.1 with all the latest updates....

I hated Win 8, and admittedly it took a little time to like 8.1 but it is really good, less resource hungry and runs well inside 8Gb.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I would go with Windows 8.1. As others have mentioned the .1 update has made it a lot like Win 7. Furthermore I think it will be a straight upgrade to Win 9 while Win 9 from Win 7 might well require a fresh install.
  5. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Windows 8.1 is a really good operating system. You should install Classic Start Menu, set it, and forget it. I've never had a better Windows experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    I have both Windows 7 on a work laptop and Windows 8.1 on my personal laptop, I prefer Windows 7 but there is really nothing wrong with 8.1 as long as you get rid of the tiled start screen which is about the only thing most people dislike. I did read somewhere that support for Windows 7 will end within a year or two and that Windows 9 will be released and revert back to the traditional start screens which people prefer.
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Classic start menu or any of these type of programs will make the daily use of windows 8.1 very close to windows 7. Windows 8 is actually faster than 7 as well.
  8. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    8.1 is the bees knees.
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Windows 8.1 is good! People hate on every single new version of Windows that comes out, this is a law of nature akin to such classics as the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics.

The "metro" design takes some getting used to, but if you think of the metro start screen as your "start menu" and customize it to get rid of most of the metro apps and place whatever non-metro stuff you rely on, it works like the proverbial charm (no pun intended). But Win8 is extremely stable, rather pretty, and runs leaner than Win7.
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I recommend you get a touch screen laptop as you will find that will allow you to do many things easier.

In any case unless you use lots of apps you can get to the desktop in just a click or two and you can pin stuff to the taskbar and put shortcuts on the desktop itself. And as someone noted there are 3rd party start menu replacements but you can pin any application on the start screen as well and once you get used to it it works as well and in some cases better.
  12. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I second the touchscreen recommendation. I don't own a laptop any more, having given mine up for a better desktop and a Nexus 7, but it is wonderful how intuitive touchscreen laptops are.
  14. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I hated windows 8 when I first tried it but now, given the choice, I would choose 8.1 over the older 7. I have it on two of my machines and it works great.
  15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Touch screen is useless if you plan on typing much. Many of the OS and apps are not really well laid out for touch interface.
  16. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    I'm one of those people. With Start8 I never even see the Metro part of 8.1; it just feels like a faster Win 7 machine with a few additional perks.
  17. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Like others have said, the move from Windows 7 requires a learning curve, but once you get used to it, you'll notice significant improvements over previous versions. I used Classic Shell for a while when I first upgraded to Windows 8, but now I'm happy with the native interface of 8.1. I don't use touchscreen and I have no problems navigating it with a keyboard and scroll mouse, but that's not to say that touchscreen wouldn't improve the user experience. I just couldn't stand the finger marks all over my display :rolleyes:
  18. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    After a long run of using just about every version of Windows from 3.0 thru ME and WinNT3.0-XP, I skipped Vista and W7. I jumped to a new non-touch larger screen desktop Win8.0 system last year and them moved through 8.1 and 8.1.u1. I've since added a touch-only (most of the time) Win8.1.u1 8" tablet.

It took me some time to adjust to Win8.0, but in the end I found it usable but annoying. It's not the "Modern" (nee "Metro") Start screen that bothered me, but the mix of XP-style, Win8 Desktop-style, and Modern-style dialogs with their varying conventions on control locations and navigation that was the big annoyance. 8.1, and even more so 8.1.u1, have improved a lot of the annoyances and significantly improved the utility of the Start screen and other functions. Win8.0 was crippled by MS's blindness to the persistent presence of the mouse/keyboard desktop user. The design team seems to have only considered touch functionality.

I have never really felt that the Start screen was not a good replacement for the antique Start menu. The fixes in 8.1 and 8.1.u1 have resolved any reasonable complaints with all but a few exceptions. I don't crave the old menu. All I really want is a way to manually choose the colors of each tile as MS's algorithm for choosing a color auto-magically based on the old program icon's coloring is painfully flawed. It all too frequently camouflages the icon by placing it on a tile that it too close the the icon's dominate color.
  19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Anyone worried about Windows 7 support should not be. Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 (Windows 8 until 2023): (note how Vista will be supported until 2017). This will allow plenty of time for Windows 9 to have the bugs flushed out and which will probably become the next Windows 7, as Windows 7 became the next Windows XP (always a dud of sorts in-between).
  20. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This was true back when All Microsoft did was issue service packs for each release of Windows, but I've a feeling the more hands-on approach to updating the OS that Win8 has seen will make a difference here. I'm no industry expert but I've watched Microsoft for awhile now.