1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lawrence A., Jan 29, 2015.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Hi. I just wondered who else in the photo forums was trying out Windows 10 in the technical preview. Getting impatient, I created a small partition on an SDD last night and installed it beside the Windows 7 running on the rest of the computer, the one I use for almost all my photo editing.

I haven't yet installed any serious photo programs on it, but I think I'll try Photoshop, if the CC subscription will let me put it on another OS. In general, though, I'm impressed with the system. I've installed Windows Live Mail (because I hate the email client that is built into both Windows 8 and this new system), and an old Office 2000 premium installed without a hitch, and the programs I use (mostly Word, with some passive use of Powerpoint) seem to work fine. The IE 11, which I also have on a Windows 8 ultrabook, is a much better browser than the IE I abandoned many years ago for Opera. Now Opera has gone all weird, so I installed Vivaldi on the Windows 10 setup and it works fine, although it, too, is a "technical preview."

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with the 10 preview that they'd be willing to share. So far I like it.

PLEASE! Let's not turn this into a Mac vs. Windows thread. People tend to exhibit religious fervor about their preferred OS, but religious discussions are banned from the forum, so let's not go there.

2. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Photoshop is working fine.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've been thinking about it for a while...haven't acted on it though. If LR works okay, then I might just go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I signed up and wanted to install it on my notebook, but unfortunately you have to have Windows 7 as a minimum and all that one has is Vista.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I installed it on my notebook but didn't have much chance to use it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Since Windows 10 is going to be a free update for all Windows 7/8 users for the first year of introduction, it's easier to wait for reports on the finished version and then install. I'll install it first on my wife's Win 8.1 laptop and see how it goes and perhaps then on my main PC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    One thing I hate about major releases of Windows is that you can't really "upgrade". A clean install has been always required and I had to reinstall all my software and cross my fingers. I will consider such upgrade only if I don't need to reinstall all my software.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 on my PC without any issues. Unless I've bought a new PC, I've pretty much upgraded every time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've never minded a clean install. By the time I've had an OS going for several years, I figure a clean install can't hurt. I do try to make sure that I have everything in place to be reinstalled, along with product keys, etc.

That said, when I upgraded the laptop I put this Windows 10 partition on, after switching out the i3 for an i7 (first generation), I cloned the 7200 rpm hard drive to a new SSD.

I'll install and try Lightroom, careful to import things already in my main catalog on the Windows 7 OS. So far, though, it looks like it will be a good OS if Microsoft doesn't mess it up before releasing it. It's quite responsive and seems to operate faster than Win 7 -- and that's on the same machine. Maybe it's because a installed in on a small, 57GB partition. Most importantly it has killed the irritating separate "Modern" interface. I'm only hoping they will put a reader mode into the Internet Explorer, since the Metro version of IE is the one thing I like about that whole sorry Metro/Modern catastrophe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    When I went from Vista to 7, it was an upgrade. So long as you go from same version to same version, i.e. home premium to home premium or professional to professional an upgrade is possible. If you deviated from that, it forced a new install.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think the main impediment to an upgrade is if you try to go from x32 to x64, then it's a fresh install.

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I appear to be one of the minority that is really happy with Windows 8/8.1. I havent tried Windows 10 but I have looked at a couple of the reviews. I cant see what it actually offers over Windows 8.1. It seems very much an operating system aimed at getting Windows 7 users to upgrade.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Generally, world + dog hates 8, which is why XP refuses to die, 7 rules and 8 languishes in the trenches. Microsoft even jumped a number so that 10 wasn't associated with just another upgrade of 8. Win 8.1 tried to address some of the painful aspects of 8, but it was too little, too late. And ironically, desktop ownership is once again on the rise, which is where the likes of 7 rules.

14. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Does 10 give back the true Windows desktop menu? I hate the teaser on 8.1.

15. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I see. Getting a new menu for real, with more visuals. I probably won't drive the preview this time around.

16. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    10 combines the old start menu with the tiles for the Modern interface. It works pretty well. To me it feels a lot like Windows 8.1 but without some some of the things I didn't like. You get "This PC", as in windows 8, instead of My Computer, as in 7.

I like Windows 8.1 too, but I work entirely in the desktop environment. I'm perfectly happy that 10 gets rid of swiping in on the right edge to activate charms. I don't like that part of the 8.1 interface, and never have. Just the whole idea of two separate environments made no sense to me. If you like the metro tiles, you can call them up in the Windows 10 start menu and then maximize them to fill the screen. I've had it less than 24 hours, so still lots to learn. But I don't hate Windows 8.1, just the Metro part of it.

I've only had Windows 8 on touch devices -- a dell tablet, and now an HP split that I love. Even in tablet mode, I prefer the regular desktop environment. I find the big, bold, colorful tiles pretty cartoonish.

Oh! Lightroom seems to work fine in 10. I just did this in the LR and PS I installed on it:

P1230692-X2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Still a lot of 7 and XP out there

16214123349_0650806792_o.

18. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Wow, 8 only has 14% market at the end of its product cycle. 10 certainly will be a make or break moment for Windows.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Windows 8 wouldn't be where it is if it were not due to new PC/laptop sales and, for a while, you could even upgrade a new Windows 8 PC/laptop to Windows 7.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Yeah, my PC's are a mixture of 7 and XP ... 8 is about as popular with me as vista