1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Winbook 7" Windows 8.1 tablet $59.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Evan614, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I know it's not camera equipment but it has bluetooth and wifi to connect to your camera.
    Pretty decent deal since windows 8.1 is pricey on it's own.
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW700_Tablet_-_Black
    I am pretty sure this is Micro Center's brand (WinBook)
    It's limitation is 1GB RAM plus only has 16GB of storage but has an expansion micro SD card slot. Quad core 1.33GHz (not the fastest CPU but for the price not too shabby)

also for 99.99 is a larger version (8") and has 2GB RAM and 32GB of storage. USB 3.0 (wow)
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black

• Like Like x 1
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Windows is free for screens that are 8" or smaller. That's how MS competes with Android & Apple.

3. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    Thanks I just learned something. It also comes with Office 365 free for one year. Is that usually free (for one year) on the full size computers too?

4. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Windows 10 is going to be free for everyone and with free upgrades. A change in marketing I think we can all get behind! FYI.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I would not in any instance, even if you're buying it for a kid or "only going to use it for..." scenario, purchase a tablet released by a Chinese owned company. Dell, Acer, Amazon, Samsung, Apple, HP, Asus, Toshiba....sure, buy those. You can get them for $100 sometimes. Just don't buy the off-brand ones. We get over 30% returned broken. Just a word of advice.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I can't agree with that. I use a ZTE mobile phone that's made by a fully Chinese owned company and it's great. I've had Huawei network gear that's been just as reliable and there are more and more mobile phones, tablets etc being introduced by Chinese owned companies that are getting great reviews. All the companies that you mentioned, have their gear produced predominantly in China.

7. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    If your China-made Apple tablet or China/Taiwan Huawei/HTC works fine then yes, you must be right, the off-brand tablets won't have any problems.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  9. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Why take a chance? The Dell Venue 8 tablet, which in addition to being supported by Dell, has also gotten great reviews, is available for $149 and cheaper if you see one on sale or get a refurb. Most everything is made in China these days so the main issue is whether someone who cares about their brand is having it assembled in an ISO 9000 certified factory in China or not.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I remember the days when Taiwan was renowned for its cheap plastic toys. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

I remember when Japan started importing cars to Australia and they were deemed rubbish. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

I remember when South Korea started importing cars to Australia and they were deemed rubbish. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

I remember when South Korea started importing electronics and they were deemed crap. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

Times change, countries once deemed to produce crap improve their quality in order to sell worldwide. They learn from the knowledge and technologies etc that foreign countries bring in to take advantage of cheap labour.

You think a brand name is a guarantee of quality products: http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?t=39072&view=next. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

11. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    When your mechanic at the local GM dealership tells you not to buy late 1990's GM trucks with in-line 6-cylinder engines because they have had issues with 30% of those they sold, you shouldn't tell him he's wrong because you once had a Ford in-line 6 engine that had no problems and your GM 4-cylinder sedan has been very reliable. And then when he tells you to go ahead and buy the late 90's in-line 6 engine GM truck, you provide links to how Chrysler-made Jeep engines are efficient and how a bunch of other American-made products have great features and make customers happy.

That's kind of what you did in your last two posts. And I'm only setting the record straight because I don't want people spending $70 on a tablet expecting it to work like a Samsung or Dell. The charging ports come un-soldered, the units over heat, they freeze, batteries stop holding a charge, the touchscreens aren't precise, LCD screens have poor color, speakers are useless, etc. The worst thing is that parents buy these for children and when they break, the children hide the tablet and don't even say it's broken. Those instances are not in our statistics, BTW.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Your analogy is somewhat similar to the story of the vehicle that I currently own, a Nissan Patrol. When they were first introduced with a new 3.0lt diesel engine in 2000, those and the 2001 models were prone to having pistons holed. There was no rhyme or reason for why or when it would happen and most had no issues, but many did. Subsequent changes to the engine management system, as well as a completely new common rail diesel engine eliminated the issue from around 2003/2004 onwards, yet there are still people today telling everyone that these engines will self-destruct, even though the issue is dead and buried.

Yes, there are risks involved in buying cheap tablets and the like, but buying brand names means nothing nowadays. I had a Sony double DIN head unit in my Patrol that cost $700 (discounted from $1400) that crapped itself just after the warranty was over. I subsequently bought an no-name brand Chinese eBay $300 double DIN head unit that also included GPS navigation and its still going strong over six years later.

It's fine to alert people to the potential risks, but to suggest that everything not brand labelled is crap, is quite frankly crap. BTW, I recently bought my wife a Toshiba laptop after her Aldi Medion laptop of over seven years started to play up and I wish I could have bought another Medion. I don't think the Toshiba will last as long, since it doesn't seem to be able to go into sleep/hibernation mode unless you turn it off.

13. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    OzRay, you've mentioned a half a dozen products, all of which are irrelevant and of no consequence to this thread. In doing so you've gone completely off-topic. Plus you've put words into my mouth: "suggest that everything not brand labelled is crap, is quite frankly crap." I suggested no such thing. The topic is tablets and I am a professional in the field. You have a lot of knowledge about a lot of topics, but the reliability of cheap tablets these Chinese companies are releasing is not one of them. Based on reading many of your other informative posts--I usually agree with the logical things you say--I'm quite surprised as to why you're doing this.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    But you said: 'I would not in any instance...purchase a tablet released by a Chinese owned company.', from which it was reasonable to infer that you believe they are crap compared to brand name products. You didn't give specific examples, but simply made a sweeping statement suggesting 30% returns (70% work fine?).

I'm not discussing professional, subject specific, knowledge here, but evidence based facts. There is anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence, you have given neither, only opinion. I come from a science background and that's why I disagree with what you've said, it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

What you've said is very similar to how non-m4/3 users often argue why m4/3 isn't worth using because it isn't good enough compared to 'proper' DSLRs.

Look, I'm not having a go at you, but it's really important to be utterly clear when making statements that will lead people to make choices or whatever. You simply can't make statements based on a concept of authority, without providing substantiation, only politicians can get away with that. ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  15. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    This is not a bad summary of what I said. At least this shows you actually understand what I said this time without references to things unrelated.

Of which you've presented none. Links to other people's sites regarding unrelated products is all I've seen.

Again, you're confusing yourself by failing to realize that what I said is, well, what I said; and mean. It's as if you think I'm trying to prove a point based on some product I bought that broke. I have no need or desire to give evidence. Or prove anything to anyone. I'm just defending my original post which, after rereading it, I can see is worded exactly as it should be. There's no doubt there.

Again, I simply don't care. Scrutinize all you want. Go find more links that suggest the contrary. Go find another refurb center, quote what they say, and present as fact as if you've done it yourself. You might convince others reading this thread that Chinese brand tablets are really good. But based on the fact I posted about it first, with nothing at stake, I highly doubt it. In fact, I challenge you to try it. You're failing so far.

This statement makes no sense and you comparing to what I said makes even less sense.

My original post is pretty clear.

I can, did, and will. I could say hundreds of factual things that you would argue with; none backed by evidence. The OP is sophisticated enough to choose for himself. He can clearly see I have no stake in trying to convince him of anything

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Sigh! :(

17. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Anyway, regardless if we disagree on tablets or not, I still highly value your input on this forum. I've learned a lot about cameras from your posts :)

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you'd just stated that there are issues to be aware of with many of these cheap tablets, such as potential reliability, screen quality, speed etc; but if willing to take the chance, then they may serve a useful purpose, that would have been quite reasonable. If the OP is just wanting an inexpensive Windows tablet to use for occasional tethering to their camera, then it's probably not a bad option. And it does appear to come with a one year warranty, which should be enough time to determine it's durability.

Afterall, this forum is full of posts about cheap Chinese flash units, speed boosters and just about anything else, and it's not often that I see people recommending OEM gear etc when the Chinese aftermarket stuff is significantly cheaper and seemingly up to the task. You don't really know what such products can be like, unless you try them out and then provide feedback.

19. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    It's in fact a horrible option and a risky venture. Spend $40 extra for something that you know will connect and work at a 95% probability rate instead of 60%.

This is correct. I have no knowledge the reliability of said products. I am very knowledgeable of tablets' reliability, however.

20. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    FWIW, we got one and it has worked just fine for us so far. Not really looking to push it at all, just have a second internet capable device downstairs besides the one desktop and our phones. And hook up to the TV for internet shows.