Wilson Prom and Surrounding area

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by joele, Feb 18, 2011.

1. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just back from a short trip to South Gippsland, mainly around Wilson's Prom (southern most point of mainland Australia)... I have processed a few shots and will get around to doing some more, I have lots of Panoramas to process.. Weather wasn't the best but we got a few breaks to squeeze some photography in...

This one is a three shot Pano.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a lot of dead crabs on the beach for some reason
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Great stuff Joel.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I echo Bill ... great stuff.

Gary

4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Outstanding images and processing.

5. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks guys, I will hopefully get some panoramas done today

6. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    and that is how it's done ;) great stuff joele!

i saw a lot of dead crabs whilst I was there too. (we referred to them as "wazza"...because they "was" a crab - terrible joke i know)

(p.s. was that all on your g2?)

7. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey Kosta, thanks...

yes all shots on the G2...

Back to the question I asked you earlier, apparently you are supposed to get out by sunset, but there is no one actually there to police it.. I would suggest though driving slow if you do stay late, on the way out we had to stop for Kangaroos and Emus running across the road..

Did you also get the giant sand flies biting you on the beach? They were everywhere for us, the first day I retreated within minutes... When I came back for the sunset shots I smothered myself with Aeroguard, though they still found spots to bite me (like through clothes)...

8. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    fantastic!

I didn't know about the time period you were allowed and whether it was policed or not - but I did realise there would be a high chance of fauna on the roads! (in the area outside the prom there were so many on the side of the road :( )

no sand flies when i was there! phew they bite hard!
    which lenses did you choose to take with you?

9. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Great shots Joele! I have a dumb question though.... how did you make the border with your name on it? I'd like to make something similar for myself :smile:

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Wonderful images Joel .. especially the last 2 :smile::2thumbs:

11. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ohh yeah... :eek:

As I had the car I just packed everything in a bag and took the lot...

Also have a HDR processed, it is 7 shots blended (love the 7 shot bracketing on the g2).. HDR is pretty new to me and I tried to make it looks as 'non-HDR' as I could whilst still reaping the benefits of seeing the foreground but with a strong sky (sunset).. I think I may have made the foreground too dark, and high contrast?

[​IMG]

The border is a photoshop script I purchased years ago (absolute Web 124), was pretty cheap and is nice a quick to apply.. I am not sure if he is still selling it, his site is still there maybe just email before buying as he hasn't updated it in years (still works though)..

Absolute Sharpening Website

• Like Like x 1
  12. camera3d

camera3d New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2011
    camera3d
    Joel! Those are awesome shots! The 'crab' is my favorite, a sad image.. pictures that turn emotions are called.. art. :) Thumbs up ! Great work.

13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Geez, you're good. I like the first one with the massively huge trees ( the pano's always look great) and the HDR one. Nice light.