Willing to try a Nex

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by elandel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I'm a m4/3 user with several m4/3 cameras and a good bunch of lenses so I'm not going to change because I'm very satisfied.

The problem is I have a lot of legacy lens and read that Sony's eocus peaking is really very handy and I also have sight problems so maual focusing is tricky for me.

I would consider (GAS is also responsable) trying something cheap with focus peaking in the Nex system.
    Maybe a NEX 3 if I can get a good deal? Does it have this feature? And how does it handle. Could it be a good idea? Obviously its not a necessary buy: only GAS and curiosity.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol..Welcome to GAS Clinic .. I can offer u some counselling ..hahhaha
    I had similar problem but I convinced myself not to buy a 3rd system .I have already Sony a33 and today a friend left his SOny a580 with me for 4 months . Now from my experience with Sony I can tell u their white balance sucks . I have the kind if images they produce . Now coming to NEx 3 -- U can give it a try with peaking thing....Personally I found the UI cumbersome and uneasy on NEX series .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    just go to DP NEX forum and ask about the "3"

It's a trade-off. Peaking or IBIS. In my case it was 2X vs. 1.5X on a telephoto.
    My 500mm is 1000 on m4/3 but 750 on the NEX BUTT I will double the pixels of
    my G1 on a larger chip. My "7" will arrive on Wednesday and all that I can do
    is evaluate for my use. If it works and I keep it my next body may be the OMD
    as the IBIS would be great for my shorter tele's.......

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Don't worry. I'm long term GAS addicted and found out that the only way to cope with it is to surrender to it.

Buddhismo and GAS.:biggrin:

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I have some Olympus and Panasonic bodies so IBIS is not a problem when I need it. My doubt i: how does it handle with bigger and heavier legacy glasses?

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    guess that I'll find out soon..... ;-) My take is that even with the G1
    the center of balance is the lens not the body anyway. The peaking
    will be interesting as I have a number of fast lenses with shallow DOF.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Let us know as soon as you try. My Nikon AIS 200 f4 is awesome, also for weight:frown:

8. OttOiOttO

OttOiOttO New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    DFW
    Nex3 with Voigtlander lens gave me a great result. The peaking on the latest firmware is so much easier to focus. It was the perfect size for me to handle with this combo, I have no idea with the bigger and heavier lens though. ( dont think I would like it as I choose to use mirrorless camera for the compact size to begin with. )

I also preferred to use legacy lenses on Nex more than M4/3. But viewfinder is a must for me so I stick on Leica with MF lenses and M4/3 with their good lenses for AF.

OttO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

One thing (maybe the only thing) that has made me hesitate is the lack of a viewfinder which I'm used to.

10. OttOiOttO

OttOiOttO New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    DFW
    Same here, That's why I sold Nex3 and aim for Nex7. But as we know, Sony lack of a good lens for Nex system so I hold that thought to get Nex7 and went with M4/3.

OttO.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well maybe thinking about the 5n with the optional VF could be a good idea, but then the cost is too much for just a body to use with legacy lens, it could be more of an investment to a second system and thats not what I want.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I had a NEX3, and it's a nice camera. The peaking works well, and it definitely helps a LOT. I wish Oly would adopt it as the IBIS plus peaking would be awesome for legacy lenses.

No VF was/is an issue for me as well on the 3. So go for the 5N or 7, if you can find a 7. The Sony EVF is awesome!!!

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm just wondering if it's worth spending all that money for a camera that will not evolve into a system with newer lenses because I'm already committed to m4/3 with many lenses, so don't want to afford two systems. (Wife will litteraly kill me).:rofl:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In my opinion, the VF-2 is a lot more effective for manual focus than Focus Peaking on the LCD. Focus Peaking is a great feature, but it doesn't make NEX "better" as a system.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I didn't say its better and in any case I'll stick with m4/3 because I love it. Only curious to try something else: what about the 5n with VF? Tat could be a good idea as soon as I find a good deal because I'm in no hurry. My Ep2 and Epl3 are very good for me and also my G3.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, I've been interested in trying an NEX myself. Generally, the price of the NEX 3 and NEX 5 doesn't seem low enough for me to be bothered with them. Here in the U.S., one can buy a brand-new C3 with the 16mm pancake for $499. The 5N body-only is $599. I'd be tempted to try one of them if I were you. If the 5N's rear LCD doesn't do it for you, you can always add the EVF later. I personally won't be using long legacy lenses on an NEX body. Therefore, the tilting rear LCD becomes very helpful as I can shoot with the camera down near my waist.

17. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I had an nex7 for a week or so and it was the perfect camera IMO, but there isn't a good wide solution since the corners shift with m lenses. I sold it here to shield and he's very happy with it. I really do want to get another one, but only after they release a couple more decent lenses.

PS. I have an Nex3 I would sell you for cheap.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Ive the heavy Nikkor 200 f4 AIS which is a good lens, but I also have shorter lens that I'd like to use: Cosina and Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135 3.5, Nikon AIS 28+50+100 f.2.8, Nikon 200 f4 AIS, some Zenith and Canon FD and Russian Mir.
    I would really like to give them a try in an easy way. So I thought that Nex with focus peaking should be great.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Once you peak, you can never go back. Peaking is much easier and faster than using a viewfinder.

Look for the original NEX 3. It's been as low as $150. I got mine a year ago for $300. I passed on it twice on clearance at Best Buy for $249. My vow is not to pay more than $200 for a camera. :smile: I got my GH1 for $200. I got my GF2 for $200. I have my eye on a clearance NEX 3 at my local Target. It's at $350 now. Next stop $175.

You can also look for a used body on ebay. A NEX 3 body runs $150-$200.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I believe its true. But never tried it myself. All other modes have never totally satisfied me for MF.