will you stay with m4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bashar, Apr 2, 2010.

1. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    hello guys, personally i have the ep-1/20mm lens and i am very happy, but i keep lusting for an ultra wide and a zoom, the thing is I am scared to invest in m4/3 ! what if Nikon/Sony/Canon come up with a better system this summer?!
    will you switch?!
    personally, I am waiting for a camera with DSLR speed focus, a little bit better dynamic range, and it has to be small and usable. So far panasonic and olympus are busy entertaining us with more cameras and fancy features but the main issues are still pending... I am afraid of m4/3 becoming a point and shoot up-grader format, because there are so many consumers for that market, I really dont care for more MPx, but most consumers rate cameras by there MP not ISO performance....
    Dont get me wrong, i dont want to sound pessimistic and negative, but i am in the wait and see stage right now, really scared in investing in m4/3!

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    One of the things in favour of m4/3rds is that you don't have to invest heavily to have a highly capable photographic tool. The G1 for example, plus the 14-45 kit lens and 20mm f1.7 could keep you happy for years in real terms... and just going out of production makes it a real bargain.

If you're happy with your E-P1/20mm combination, then why not just enjoy, and see what happens... if something ground breaking arrives over the next few months then why not switch?

To be honest though, this forum - and the friendships and self-support we're building will factor into any decision I make to ditch m4/3rds moving forward.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Very good points Brian.

I went with m4/3 for the system. I am happy with what I have, and will still add to it, it will never replace my Nikon gear, but it is my family and hobby gear.

This forum is like nothing I have ever known, friendly, informative just brilliant...I wouldnt want to leave either :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    m43 is for me period, I have a great range of lenses and one more is coming this week from Japan :)

The G1 gives excellent handling while the GF1/E-P2 compact unobtrusive range-finder like bodies, the E-P2 gives superb jpegs.

I think Pany and Oly are alone in the m43 Arena others will head the "APS" direction.
    Possibility is that Panasonic will develop m43 sensors to equal APS sensor currrent high ISO capabilities this would mean new bodies for Pany / Oly

Realistically m43 is superb up to ISO400, all most need, I recall my film days and using grainy 400ASA film and happy with the grain effect :wink:

Its not about High ISO and worry when pixel peeping .. just look at the great images in this forum.

Small is what people want m43 gives you that, I don't see a Samsung NX10 in my horizon Oly/Pany are a mature couple.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bashar,
    Group hug time. You should join the Image Quest, PAD and the Straight Talk group.
    Then make photos and fall in love with your camera.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 1
  6. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    M4/3 offers so much (fun & quality) for so little. How can one go wrong to buy into this system, especially when the system is just going to get better and diverging with the DSLR.

No, it is not replacing my Canon system, at least not for a few years. But, who knows what will happen in 5 years, at least with my own wishful thinking :). So far, the M4/3 is the 'best' system I have, $ for $.

But, for the same reason, I will not hesitate to jump to another system if it offers more than the M4/3 system in the future.

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Geez, the people at Panasonic are probably wondering just the same thing (LOL).

The proof is in the pudding on this one IMO. The images, and what can be done with the camera, speak for themselves. Expanding share in entrenched markets says it all.

Yes, M4/3rds has well known constraints. I believe Panasonic et al are going to surprise us with the upquotient on their sensors. Remember when the first 1.5 megapixel cameras came out?? Not that long ago. Technology has that way of just changing the whole ballgame in a shutter click.

I think the dedication to the micro format (rolling out highly regarded systems quickly, leading edge as it were), developing ground breaking sensors, and committing right off the top to EVF are the evidence this thing is here to stay.

By the way... I took receipt of a very fast Leica/Pany 45mm Macro last night.... the thing blows me away. Bright, and sharp as a tack.

I haven't had this much fun for such little money in a long time.

Bokeh Diem

8. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    Group hug, I love my camera and lens, i will say that 10 more times,
    A lot of people are using the EVIL system to complement there heavy canon/nikon, for me I choose to have only one system. I am just saying, IF sony comes up with a small Ugly camera with SLR speed focusing, some zeiss glass... would you consider jumping ships? my ultimate quest is a tiny ONE camera that does it all....

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    The best camera is one that you have with you. I'm still holding on to my Nikon gear but my M 4/3 travels so well it's so easy to always have with me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm now completely sold on m4/3 and now have all my 4/3 gear on eBay. Would like the PanLeica 45 and the 100-300 when it arrives. That will cover all my bases.

11. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    lets assume they will, so?

you know the "best" what ever changes every few years anyways all the time, one year it's nikon, next year it's canon, next year it's sony etc... Is having the last years best system, and this years second best system that much of a problem? because you know this years best system will be second best soon anyways... You don't think or trust that olympus/panasonic could continue to compete and become better in the following years and become best again?

I do recall reading some where that olympus had originally thought about that as their plan... they had underestimated it's popularity and thought it would be a P&S upgrade step... I would not bet on their thinking being that way anymore though. Although... their lens line up seems to still reflect that mentality (granted the lens line up was probably designed a year ago when that original thinking was in place).

If you look at Panasonic, this is their exclusive format. Panasonic doesn't really have the option of using this as a P&S upgrade step only. If you look at panasonics lens line up and quality (or price), you could have reason to extrapolate who their target audience is compared to olympus.

As for myself, I would stay with m4/3rds until I have reason to change... I don't exactly need the newest camera every year, but if mine got run over by a car, I would re-evaluate what is available on the market at the time. (makes me sound so un-loyal... :frown: )

12. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    if a manufacturer releases a camera with m4/3 form factor, sensor quality and SLR speed focusing they will have my money and that camera will live with me for a long time... I do love my m4/3 and i am constantly learning to work around its limitation but will keep an eye for my dream camera, hopefully soon...

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I feel it's a little early to decide whether I will stay with m4/3. I am enjoying my GF1 and VF with the 20 and 14-45 lenses. The user interface of the GF1 is perfectly matched to it's size: I can change settings quickly, without any pause. In common with others I am find the portability and image quality balance to be a fresh take on digital photography.

At this point I think it will be decided by considerations of style, end output and the cost / convenience angle.

I like to print my photographs, or at least the ones I really enjoy. Printing really lays bare the quality of the image (apart from things like composition, which is revealed in all forms of output). My Canon DSLR and prime lens combination makes images with spectacular detail and dynamic range. The resulting prints are a real pleasure. A likely upgrade to whatever full-frame Canon comes after the 5D2 will certainly improve the output further.

It's early days with my GF1. So far, I find that up to ISO 800 it's great for online display, and even 1600 is really very good for some types of subject. Of course, these are my own interpretations and others may feel differently about the quality. Up to ISO 400 the images are very strong and allow printing well above 8 x 10.

What I need to evolve towards is getting used to having two different camera systems available, and applying discipline to their use. I could use my m4/3 for all purposes: between dedicated m4/3 lenses and legacy glass there is a range to cover anything. Action, such as sports, is weakness, but I don't shoot that stuff so don't care. However, an all m4/3 approach would not give me the print quality I enjoy for landscapes.

While my 5D could be my only camera (and was so for a while) it really does lack that 'have a camera with you all the time' thing. It also has some intimidation factor when trying to grab spontaneous shots of people.

Sorry for the rambling post - it's a long weekend and I have the time. :cool:

So right now I am in a happy place. A fantastic full-frame DSLR for landscapes and portraits, and a wonderful small, powerful camera for street, travel and candid shooting. At the same time the GF1 can also deliver great landscape shots for the web and for certain print sizes.

A big factor for me will be the evolution of m4/3 over the next few years. A GF2 with an internal VF, (even if slightly larger overall, but no thicker), along with a few more compact primes, and I will probably be addicted for the long haul. An Olympus delivering the same, along with faster autofocus, would also be a candidate.

I will still want my full-frame DSLR for landscapes and large prints.

If I ever moved to an entirely web based output then m4/3 might do the job.

Sometimes I savour a single malt, while other times only a really fine red is essential. Same sort of thing...

14. badlywornroy

badlywornroy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Will I stay with :43: :rofl: I think it is a wee bit late to back out now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep ! currently got a full house:cloud-9-039: but not for much longer. 14-140mm sold to a member here because the 14-45mm & 45-200mm do the job for me.

badly

15. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Brilliant Badly - made me smile that post lol

16. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    When one of the manufacturers releases the m4/3 equivalent of a Contax G system (meaning quasi-rangefinder form, AF, pro build quality, and a full compliment of superb prime lenses) they will have me for life.

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I am so happy to find others who are also photography addicts. At least I don't play golf, own a bass boat etc, all of which can cost a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HuubL

HuubL Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    ... and I can't wait till it arrives here Roy!

That's quite an impressive set of glass and cameras.

19. HuubL

HuubL Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    ... and I can't wait till the 14-140 arrives here. Thanks Roy!