Will you pay USD 1999 for Panny 7-14 mm lens ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was looking at panasonic 7-14 mm lens for MFT .We all know average price for this lens is around USD 899 .Now we here is Australia pay nearly 40% more than u guys do in USA or else where . But the price of this lens is unbelievable
    Have a look yourself..
    Digital Camera Lenses - Ted's Cameras

Any comments ...also check prices of Panny 14-140 mm ..Hahah its a cruel joke on us but still people buy ..
    Cheers

2. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    the prices are way out there. look at the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 as well. I would not pay that price.

3. Bhupinder2002

Its just insane ..Look at Panny camera prices ...oops...I will get a heart attack...Lol WHy won't I buy from BH or adorama?
    Cheers

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nope - won't pay $899 either. I'm not a pro, don't depend on my gear to earn a living, so I won't spend more than $350 - 400. That's why I love being able to use legacy glass on my Oly - more bang for the buck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Unfortunately 7-14mm isn't exactly a range that includes legacy glass :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Amazon has international shipping, you should check if you can get camera stuff from them.

7. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Promit
    Yes I do order things from Amazon as well.This is just to show how insane things are here in Australia . Just look at their Panasonic lenses and G series cameras .U will be shocked .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. Bhupinder2002

Yes and I am wondering in which World Teds camera store is living ? Its totally unexplainable that they never even reduced the prices on old models . They were selling Panny 20 mm at AUD 799 around 18 months ago when I bought the same lens from BH for USD 339 . I think we need couple of more real camera stores .
    Cheers

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Absolutely woudn't pay that price.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Interestingly, I was in my local Camera House the other day and they had the EPM1, EPL3, EP3, GF3 and G3 not only in-stock (shock horror) but selling for only around $50 that the BH price in USD!!! (ie: 500usd - 550 aud)... Lenses though... Wow... $1200 for a zuiko 12/f2???? For some reason the GH2 was also frighteningly expensive - $1500 with a 14-42 :/

11. You should click on the "price match" link and see if they'll match the overseas price :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bhupinder2002

I did that and they refused that. Do u know Digital Cameras, Car Audio, Electronics - Ryda is a good online store which has Australian stock and not so called GREY market stock , they were offering Oly P3 at AUD 799 few weeks ago and Teds refused to match that. There is no price controlling body and these people do what ever they want . I was able to peruse a few people to direct from there store to BH by showing my iPhone BH app with huge price difference . A young rich chinese couple was looking at 14-140 Panny with a price tag of AUD, I showed them that u can get for less than AUD 799 and they were shocked .
    Cheers

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For that price, I wonder if you could buy a plane ticket to Japan or The States and still come out cheaper ...

14. Bhupinder2002

Exactly and I am thinking of escalating this to some kind of authority or drag them to the media.This is daylight robbery actually and there is no logical explanation for that at all .
    Cheers

15. Bhupinder2002

16. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Is this also true of products from Canon, Nikon etc.? Or is is just m4/3 products that are very expensive?

17. Bhupinder2002

Hahah we almost pay more for everything including clothes , cars , houses and what not ...lol
    Cheers

18. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I think it's Panasonic that's playing the games. If you have a look at their Australian site and look at their RRPs, they seem to be calling the tune. Amazon (US) doesn't seem to be willing to ship Panasonic equipment to Australia.

Sometimes other sellers using Amazon will send to Oz. B&H seems to have no problems, and then there's always ebay. Just watch out for charger plugs and those cameras that come with preset video (PAL or NTSC). Pity about the warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Bill ,I know as I mostly buy my stuff from BH and amazon but this is too much. We should raise our voice . I was trying to contact today tonight to run this story .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder