1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will you get a focus peaking camera?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RnR, May 19, 2013.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The Olympus E-P5 and Panasonic G6 are the first two camera's in the MFT world to have real focus peaking. I'm curious as to the level of interest for fans of adapted lenses.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPYikDnniU]Focus Peaking Lumix G6 - YouTube[/ame]

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yes. Also: That video is terrible.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Not planning to buy an m4/3s cam with focus peaking, but to anyone who likes manual glass I cannot recommend that feature enough. The video in the OP does not do it justice.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    It's probably the feature I miss most with my current cameras.
    Unfortunately I wont be upgrading any-time soon. :frown:

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In using FP on NEX, I found it very over rated.

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I'd rather have candy than FP. LOL. Seriously though, With the OM-D I don't really need focus peaking. It would probably help but it isn't a necessity. Would I use it if it were available through a firmware update? Probably.

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have the K-01 with it, and it is handy at times, but I would not buy just to get it.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    After working with the Sony cameras, I absolutely refuse to buy any camera without peaking.

For video.

Seriously. I know most of you are coming at this from a still photo perspective, where peaking is nice but not necessarily earth shattering. Video though, that's a whole different arena and I found that peaking makes a massive difference for those of us who are doing video but do not want to buy an external monitor. Pulling focus accurately without it is very difficult, particularly in unscripted shots or any time you can't mark off focus points. This was a deal breaker on the GH3 for me, and I'm watching carefully to see where this goes. Do I buy a G6, or wait to see if the GH3 gets an update? Will the G6 get hacked? I don't think a G6 in stock form is particularly better than my Alpha, but a GH3 or hacked G6 changes that.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Focus Peaking was made for video, and I agree with Promit... that still remains its best use by far! Considering how useful these cameras are for video, especially with a good microphone and manual lens, I don't think this should be overlooked.

If you're serious about video then you know that AF simply doesn't cut it... and you also know how difficult it is to keep up smoothly with that 3" LCD or EVF using manual focus. It certainly works, but it's more of a chore than necessary.

10. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I answered "yes", but let me clarify. I've pre-ordered the ep5 for a number of reasons. Focus peaking is just one of many features that have convinced me. It isn't in the top 5, but it's a nice bene.

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Less important for me. Although I'd like to have it as an option, but it's not something I'd buy a new camera for (not in my top tier need for when I need an upgrade).

In that past I would have been more likely to want it, the difference now is that I use less legacy glass than I used to, and the EFV for the most part does it for me. I'm also not much of a video guy, although it's something I want to play around with more.

12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Would I buy a new camera with FP right now? Nope. Would I use it if introduced as firmware update on OM-D? Absolutely.

13. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Focus peaking is inconsequential to me, since I don't really use manual focus lenses. If I were looking for a platform on which to use a big collection of legacy glass, it would be a different story, but I wouldn't use MFT for that anyway.

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Depends on the implementation. If it's like on a NEX, absolutely. It's invaluable. If it's like on a Pentax Q. No. I find it more a hinderance than anything else. It took me a while to tell that it was doing anything. Once I learned what to notice, I found that it obscured the act of focusing more than help it. It looks like nothing more than static on the screen. I hope Pentax fixes it.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I want one of the new E-P5s so much and the biggest reason is the focus peaking. I love using adapted lenses except focusing can be a big issue{especially certain lenses under certain conditions}. Focus peaking would solve that problem. As big as the adapted lens trend is and since m4/3 is one of the best at it I am surprised it took both Pany and Oly to add it until just recently.

16. Maybe it was because I only tried it with the kit zoom, but I found it far less useful on the NEX 5N than I had been led to believe after everything I had read about it in the last couple of years.

17. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Uncle Frank +1. If it happens to be a feature, fine, but to go after a body because of that feature is nuts.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes. I'll get the EP5 but not only for focus peaking. Let's say that if I have a choice between two cameras with identical features: one with FP and one without; I'll get the one with FP.

19. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    The E-P5 checks all of the boxes for criteria for my next camera. Unfortunately, the reason I have my current camera is because of how inexpensive it is. A $200 new, body-only E-P2? Who could argue?! And who wouldn't then take it everywhere.

The two things on my camera list I want the most, an E-P5 and Nokton 25mm 0.95, are also the least likely to do me any good, as I'd be less likely to bring them along for the fun and interesting times.

20. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    +1. Perfectly practical. Focus peaking...not so nifty.