Will used EM5 prices fall after EP5 or EM6 release?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Steven, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Does anyone think there will be a huge rush by current EM5 owners to dump their old EM5s in order to buy the new EM6 or EP5?
    I am still wondering whether to get EM5 at this time but the prices , new and used, have been stubbornly high. I am skeptical about large numbers of people dumping their EM5s, assuming EM6 has the same sensor. What does everyone else think? :cool:
  2. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    The E-M6 is not a thing yet. And looking at the forums, it seems a lot of - if not most - E-M5 owners (like myself) are gladly keeping their E-M5 as the E-P5 cannot really be considered a replacement as much as another offering.

When the E-M6 gets released under that name or something else, it'll greatly depend on the specs etc...

The rumored GX2 for that matter could also have people switch cameras.

I don't see the E-M5 dipping under the current prices you see in our marketplace anytime soon :)

In short, get if you want it. It's a great camera and I personally love it!
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Yes, it will. It always does, whether it's a camera, a car, or a bike. When a replacement comes out, the outgoing model's prices drop.
  4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yea its not even close to a matter of if, its when. How long do you want to wait? EM-6 hasn't been announced and likely will be a month or two after announcement before it even hits market.
  5. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    The price of the new EM-5 has already been dropping from $75-$150 dollars for the body as well as body with lens, and some of the lenses have dropped up to $100 in price through rebates. I do not think that they will be giving the cameras away though....
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The EP-5 looks like a souped up version of the E PL5. I would love to have it ,but as an upgrade from this,not to replace the OM-D5
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes it will.. always does...

THe only think in question is whether or not the EM6 will be compelling enough to drop the prices of used EM5 a lot.
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Yup...if the EM6 is a huge improvement, a lot of people will ditch the EM5, and nobody will want to buy them...prices will drop a lot. If the EM6 is a minor improvement, more people will hang onto their EM5s, there'll be fewer for sale, and more people will think that buying a used EM5 will be "good enough" therefore, there'll be less supply and more demand and the prices will not drop as much.
  9. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, like a rock!

Case in point: now that the E-P5 is out, I'm seeing E-P3s selling for just over $200... A friend of mine recently bought a practically MINT OM-D for just over $700. I paid a grand for mine not too long ago. :dash2:
  10. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Depends. A lot of people on here have extreme GAS...
  11. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    If the E-M6 has the rumored phase detect AF on top of the E-P5 improvements, it'll be a stampede.

It probably won't be out till around or after Xmas though.
  12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    I mainly shoot static subjects, so AF doesn't really matter to me...I'd LOVE to see an E-P5 style dial mode with useful MySets on the dial...but will that be worth upgrading? I doubt it...
  13. alonso

alonso New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Hi guy. I'm new to photography, and after doing some research. I purchased a omd, and arrive in the next couple of days. should I be regretting this. I got it new for about $100 less than the original price.
  14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Be happy with it...I've already been shooting a lot with mine, and before the new one hits the shelves, I'll be taking mine to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, etc for a backpacking trip this summer...even if the new E-M6 is amazing and I'll upgrade, I won't regret buying the E-M5.
  15. alonso

alonso New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks guys. My wife and I look forward to taking it on our family vacations. Do you guys have any recommendations on bags?
  16. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Actually I think the (reliably predictable) crash in e-P3 prices is simply due to it having the OLD sensor and at least three Olympus models having the NEW sensor, plus Lumix offerings like G3,5,GH3 being perceived as having better sensors too. If any one thing caused the price crash my guess would be the e-M5.
    This kinda makes the (originally way-overpriced) e-P3 a solidly second-grade product in sensor terms.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a top-tier camera in terms of feel, handling and style. I use (mostly) an e-P2 for the same reasons.
  18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

(FT3) There will be no direct E-M5 replacement. | 43 Rumors

According to 43rumors the new OMD is not a replacement for the E-M5 but rather add a different model. My guess is that it will be a "pro" model and cost more{possibly much more}. There have been some rumors of it being larger which would fit with a higher end version. It will probably have some sort of solution for using standard 43 lenses as well.

If we do have to wait even longer for an E-M5 replacement then Olympus needs to update the firmware to include focus peaking. I can't be the only person who refuses to spend the money on a new body without this feature.