1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will this work with my GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by matrix86, Mar 5, 2012.

1. matrix86

matrix86 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
  2. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    thats a 4/3 lens would need an adater,4/3 to micro 4/3

3. matrix86

matrix86 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
    ah, thats what I thought... :\

Are there any equivalent to that lens for that price?

Also, would using the adapter make it so auto focus wouldn't work and would add a lot of bulk, right?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This lens is AF compatible though with quite decent AF speeds and is quite a sharp, non-distorted lens. It was a gem of its time. :) You will find its image quality to be quite good.

The adapters that will work for it (allowing AF compatibility and all) are, in order of release, the Panasonic DMW-MA1, Olympus MMF-1, Olympus MMF-2, Viltrox 4/3-to-m4/3, and the Olympus MMF-3.

Out of all those choices, the Olympus MMF-3 would be the best as it is the only weather sealed adapter which may come in handy down the road (if you get an OM-D body and want to mount the weather-sealed Zuiko lenses). However, the cheapest would be the Viltrox. Second cheapest would be the Olympus MMF-2, which is a slightly lighter aluminum build than the MMF-1 and DMW-MA1 which use a magnesium alloy. Other than that, the other difference will be the color. The DMW-MA1 is grey, the MMF-1 is white, the MMF-2 and MMF-3 are black. I have not seen a Viltrox in person (and can't attest to its quality either, by the way...). Any of the Panasonic or Olympus adapters are very good quality.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    AF will work fine, but not C-AF. The adapter does add more bulk though, as will the adapter for any SLR format lens. Rangefinder and cine lenses are already from mirrorless systems and will add minimal bulk.

The cheapest Micro Four-Thirds equivalent would probably be the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 pancake, which will be much smaller and somewhat wider. I prefer the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 myself, but I also have a lot of other Four-Thirds lenses which make it a convenient set. The image quality out of the Zuiko 25mm is better.

eg...
    rusty_in_grass_web.

However, adding the mount adapter will significantly add to the cost of the lens. It's a worthwhile investment IF you plan on getting other Four-Thirds mount lenses. Some of these can be found cheaper than Micro Four-Thirds equivalents, while others will simply add lenses which you can't find in the Micro Four-Thirds lineup (ie, like telephotos and fast zooms). This will become very important down the road...

You may even be able to pay for the price of the adapter with the savings you get from certain lens purchases. For instance, if you need a macro lens you could get the Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 as opposed to the Micro Four-Thirds Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit. There is a large difference in price there, plus you will be adding the savings you get now with your Zuiko 25mm over a native lens. ;) But once again, the native lenses will offer a much smaller package as well as faster AF. The Four-Thirds lineup has some of the sharpest, highest resolving glass though, so for image quality you can't go wrong there!

6. matrix86

matrix86 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
    Thanks for all the quick replies and making me feel welcome!

I'm really looking for a compact prime (preferable 50mm maybe a little wider) lens for my panasonic GF2, thats under $300.

7. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    you might get the pany 20mm for 300 on e-bay . but it has been going up in price.neds always good for advice,knows his stuff.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks Scotty. :)

And I will echo the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 suggestion. It's a little over budget brand new, but used it should fit right in. It's a native lens, has great sharp quality and lens speed, and is very compact! I'd say it'll fit the bill perfect...

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    The 20mm lens can be bought brand new from Adorama or B&H for 339 with free shipping, I bought one from them recently. It truly amazes me what people pay for some things s/h, the classifieds can be ridiculous sometimes, lenses going for more than these 2 big dealers sell them for new...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    One more vote for the Panasonic 20mm F1.7. It's faster and, I believe, sharper than the Olympus 25 f2.8. For me it's a micro 4/3 "must have" for anyone on a budget. And I love the 40mm EFL, which is the focal length my first 35mm camera had -- an Olympus zone focus EC something that got me into the whole photo racket about 30 years ago. The Pannie 20mm is a super lens and you won't need an adapter.