Will there be lots of 12-50mm lenses going cheap soon?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by applemint, Mar 13, 2012.

1. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    In the UK at least, the launch/list price of Olympus OM-D E-M5 + 12-50mm 3.5-6.3 lens is £1149 and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Body only is £999. A difference of only £150.

However the price of the 12-50mm lens on it's own is around £330 to £350 - so more than double that.
    So I wonder if there will be quite a few 'split from kits' 12-50mm lenses going cheap in a few months time? (On ebay and the like, in the same way that there are currently cheap 14mm Panasonic lenses split from GF2/GF3 kits).

I must admit that while another slow zoom is not of much appeal, on the other hand being able to use 12mm (24mm equivalent) is. Plus, as it's mainly a focal length I would use outdoors and with a narrow aperture for depth of field [landscapes, architecture] the speed (or lack of) is not a major issue. So I could be tempted as 'cheap' way to be able to use a 24mm focal length (I know from having it on a compact camera lens that I would use it fairly often rather than 28mm, given the choice). Looks like it might be a decent lens for video too in good light?

The only other way to get a 24mm focal length on a micro four thirds camera at the moment is the 12mm lens at £585 or the 9-18mm lens at £469 - so both a lot more expensive than the 12-50mm 'kit' lens if you could pick one up say for £200 or so?
  2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Only time will tell. However, it doesn't make sense to have a weather sealed body without a weather sealed lens. I doubt if they will be sold at stupid cheap prices, though.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Depends how good they are, I guess. If it so happens that they're plentiful and cheap...
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with the idea that people may hang on to the 12-50 mostly because of the weather sealing, as long as it is decent for IQ. I know that is my plan.
  5. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    In my opinion, I don't think it will become that cheap soon.
    People may hang on the 12-50 mainly because of the weather sealing (right now, this is the only native lens with weather sealing). The extended width and lenght on the focal view is a bonus. Plus it has macro. Plus the powerzoom for video.

Unless it will not have decent IQ, people might ditch it.

Maybe many people will sell this lens (and then becomes cheap) once the rumored weather sealed 12-35mm f2.8 lens from panasonic comes out.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I hadn't heard anything about any of the Panasonic lenses being weather sealed? I know the m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro is going to be weather sealed, but not the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 (although this one will be a high-grade metal construction)...
  7. sean000

sean000 New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2011
    I could see liking this lens more than my Panasonic 14-45mm as long as the IQ is in the same ballpark. The slightly wider 12mm is a definite plus, while the slightly slower f/6.3 at the long end is not going to make as much of a difference for real world shooting. Besides... It could be closer to f/5.6 at 42mm. Either way I stick with the 20mm f/1.7 and the 45mm f/1.8 when I need wide apertures. I mostly use slower zooms outdoors only... where the 12-50mm's weather sealing would occasionally be appreciated.
  8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I will keep the lens as long as it's acceptable IQ, because of the weather sealing. None of my other lens' are, so if I go out in the rain, this is what will be on the body.
  9. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

In a few months time, the price of a new OM-D E-M5 will most likely have dropped considerably, so the basis of your calculations may be rendered irrelevant. But I think you are right that anyone considering buying an E-M5 at those prices ought to buy the kit with that lens. GBP 150 for that lens is a steal.
  10. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    I doubt there will be many around ........... there can't be too many people buying it in the first place
  11. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wouldn't count on this. Not in a few months, and not considerably. Take for example the last batch of pens, they went down in prices during the rebate period, not by much though, and now they are back to original prices. Heck, the e-pl2, a 2 year old camera, is still going strong at it's original price.
  12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I imagine the resellers / grey market will buy the kits in bulk, then split and sell the pieces separately. Not sure if this is how it works, but it seems to be with many past kits from olympus.
  13. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, good point. Sort of forgot about that. :smile:

I agree at an extra £150 it's a no brainer - if you don't like it: sell it at a profit or at the very least enough to get your money back, if you like it keep it obviously.
  14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure about other countries but the UK price on almost every camera drops after launch. The only exceptions being for example the Nex 7 - due to massive supply problems from the flooding in Thailand.

In the UK, the E-PL2 (body only) has gone from £429.00 last year to £299.00 now but has been as low as £229.00.

I think most enthusiasts who want an E-M5 as soon as it is released have pre-ordered and once those pre-orders have been filled, over the following months the price should drop. Even if only because retailers will have offers, sales etc in order to stand out in a very competitive market. Places like amazon like to have a (x% off) next to the price to uphold their reputation as a discount retailer, even if it is only 5 or 10%.

But yes, it may take more than a 'few' (as in 2 or 3) months - probably more like 6 months or so for a substantial drop, so I can understand people not being prepared to wait that long and missing out on 6 months use of the camera in the meantime.
  15. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    ^ Yes I was actually quoting US prices, mainly amazon prices, sometimes I forget there are other markets too lol.