1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Will there be an PenF II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I wonder if the FF wars and Pany's decision to downgrade the GX8 like cameras if the era of the rangefinder high end M43 camera is dead. I hope not but I am keeping both of my Gx8 and wondering about the PenF. If the II was just an EM1 II in a pen body I might go that way for my next camera. I guess just not enough sales in a high end RF type body to support the production.

Do you think that Olympus will produce a PenF II?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I think they should make one. It's certainly held value better than most other releases which probably means it's well loved. Honestly just needs 4K and it's competitive with current offerings. Adding weather sealing would be cool, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    While I don’t know if Olympus is/was ever planning on making another PEN F, I don’t think the full frame wars would have much of an impact on that decision either way. They’re completely different segments. Nor would Panasonic’s decision necessarily be an indicator of Olympus’ plans. If anything, one could make the argument that it means potentially less competition for a PEN F II.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Unless Olympus plans to abandon m4/3, they'll make a followup camera to the Pen F. It has a good niche.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Stuff most (not asking for all, but at least give me the e-shutter @ 60fps AE/AF locked capability...) of the E-M1II guts in there (+BLH1 compatibility) and price it for what the E-M5.3 will go for... Olympus will get a sale from me since I want a more compact sidearm camera to take the place of my E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Why not? It's a nice camera and they could upgrade the innards. I have no problem with upgrades that are mostly a bunch of small changes. It may not make folks want to upgrade but new buyers get a better camera. Look at the Em5 and EM5 II.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm still waiting for an E-P5 with VF. The F didn't fill that empty space for me. I guess my point is "first things first".

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    I hope so, then I can get the the Pen F 1 at a greatly reduced price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yes. It has to be a very nice earner for Olympus, as all expensive models generally are. I even see non-m43 users lusting after it.
    Probably not yet though. There's just not enough new tech to put in a new one right now.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Do you mean a detachable viewfinder? I don't think those are coming back. Olympus users will now feel the pain of Panasonic users who bought the LVF2 only to find it wasn't usable on any future models.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I don not think that they will make another PEN-F. Like the Nikon Df, it seems to be a one off. I'm fine with that, but for the price paid, I would have appreciated PDAF sensor in the mix. Even the one from the EM1.1 would have been fine.

Beyond that I love everything else about the PEN-F. One of my favorite things about it is how it handles adapted lenses. I like having the ability to put in full lens data, making tracking in Lightroom easier.

If, by some chance the PEN-F II becomes a reality, then I would want in order to consider upgrading:
    • 20mp PDAF sensor
    • Pro Capture
    • In camera focus stacking
    • use of the EM1.2 battery
    • Better thumb grip implementation. Something like what is on the EM5.2. possibly even a better grip, like the EM5.2
    On the fence, but to help others:
    • remove the front nob and place those functions on the command dial along with the PASM

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    No, I'm talking integrated VF. Basically the F minus the front knob and "style upcharge". I know that isn't happening. I lost hope a while ago. I imagine I'll buy an F at some point. Maybe a dinged up one where I won't feel bad covering that knob with Sugru to create a finger grip. :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I don't really think there was really a "style upcharge". E-P5+VF kit was about the same price as the Pen-F (with integrated VF)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, when you look at it like that the pricing makes sense. I guess the price of the E-P5 seemed to make more sense to me when it was released than the F did when it came out. Probably just front-knob bias. :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Top Veteran

We may see a style merge as cameraphones continue to eat into all forms of consumer grade equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I would be happy with an EM5 with a modern sensor to replace an EM5 MK which is on its last legs.

17. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I hope there is...although I do not own one, I do much like the images and colors I see others producing with it.
    One upgrade to the current model I would love to see is some weather resistance. I would then probably purchase one.
    GR

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    It's popular. They will make it.

19. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Yeah, unless Pen F 2 is weather sealed and has PDAF... :) 

20. I hope so, too. But, I'll bet they call it the Pen FT (I have 2 of the original film versions). The had a plain Pen F before the FT (had one of those, too)!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.