Will there be a new G model with newer GH3/4 sensor?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Steven, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I checked out G6 in a store today. Really like. Very solid feeling. Great viewfinder, controls, everything. I just feel it's not right that it still has the old GH2 sensor. I want the best possible still quality. I hope there will be a new model that has the newer GX7/GH3/4 sensor. There was a rumor that Panasonic will just slot in GH3 as the next best model after GH4 instead of continuing the G line for now. I hope it's not true. :mad: I really did not like GH3 viewfinder when I handled it. I had that "curved sideview" problem.
  2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think Panasonic are trying to rationalise their offerings and would not be surprised if the G6 replacement will only arrive when the GH3 is dropped/ sold through and the 2 lines will be merged as ? the G7 or a new line, more or less a Gh3 in G6 package i.e. bit lighter. The GX7 may get updated to include 4k before a lower cost G7 arrives if it also gets 4k or it may vanish as a line. It would be a pity as the G line are good no nonsense workhorse type bodies, perhaps dull to some but it does the job well, I would like to see them introduce a low cost G7 as in its less than the basic Canon Nikon Sony options to get more people into the ecosystem.
  3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The G6's downfall was actually being too good. Had it come with the GH3 sensor, no one would have looked at the more expensive GH3 and GX7... And that was a problem for Panasonic, so they're dropping the G line and sticking to the more expensive cameras. The GX8 will probably be the recipient of the features the G7 would have had.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Yeah, I sort of get that. But doesn't every company have to deal with that? Why can little Olympus put the same better sensor into every camera, but not the big bad Panasonic? Seems like Olympus does it with some staggered product releases and does ok.
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Olympus models don't all have the same sensor. The top model, the E-M1, has a completely different sensor.
  6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    While the E-M1 does have a different sensor compared to the rest excluding the E-M10, the IQ difference isn't a noticeable jump like the G5 to GH4 difference especially in low light

Seems that Olympus before the E-M1 had the same sensor in their cameras just cut down on features.

the upcoming E-PL7 seems to be the E-M10 without the EVF.

I don't see a G7 coming out until the end of the GH3 simply because there would be too much potential overlap, wouldn't surprise me if it was a smaller GH3 without weather sealing and less video options.

I think the GF series needs a redesign, just looking at it doesn't make me want to use it.
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Wasn't it already announced that Panasonic is dropping both the G and GF lines?
  8. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Not sure. I thought the rumour was that they weren't updating those models this year.

So with respect to OP's question, it looks like there is no update on the horizon.
  9. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    There is rumored that a new Panasonic M4/3 camera will be released in September.
  10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think LX8/LZ1000 is the reason why GF/G is not getting refresh.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    that really makes sense although I doubt the LX8 would be in the same price range as the GF series.