Will there be a G7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sootyvrs, Mar 6, 2015.

1. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Loved using my G5 as it's lightweight and has a proper thick grip but most of my favorite lenses have no IS so recently switched to Olympus (E-PL7) which so far has been great but miss a proper grip!

I could have gone for E-M1 or GH4 but felt it was too expensive and heavier than G5 albeit with proper grip but thought the E-PL7 with give me what I want for now..

Seems as if Panasonic are concentrating on GXx or GFx type cameras rather than the original Gx design as I'd love IBIS and I hope panasonic will develop a better one than the 2 axis currently available (GX7 only) and stick it in a G7 body!

2. davidavdavid

davidavdavid Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Unless Panasonic has an reason not to be truthful, I was assured just recently by Panasonic officials that there would be a follow-up camera body to the G6. I feel that 4K stills be possible in any new Panasonic camera body regardless of model number.

3. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Fingers crossed it will have an improved version of the GX7 IBIS (3 axis perhaps)

4. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    i thought it was already announced g7 coming

5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    Rumored specs

• 2160p30, 100Mbit
    • 1080p24/1080p60, 100Mbit
    • Sensor and LSI same as in GH4
    • Simpler firmware with less features
    • Simpler EVF
    • LCD screen instead of AMOLED

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've used GF3 G5 G6 and of course Olympus models, G6 is the cheapest and most buggy model I've ever had, and G6's never listed available in China, I had to buy the smuggled Japanese version and guess the menus while shooting, that said I still like the improvement and hope there will be a G7 especially if they upgrade the sensor, and hopefully with built-in IS (though I seriously doubt that).

And the capacitive touchscreen isn't really a good idea, Panasonic has this genius design to use the touchscreen as a track-pad to select focus while looking through the EVF, but with the capacitive touchscreen I wish I had an even flatter nose, not even to mention taking off glove before operating, ouch!

7. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Where this rumor comes?

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thats why the GX7 has a tilting EVF... to get your face out of the way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Why not just turn off the 'touch focus' feature?

10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Perhaps I should. I love this feature on G5 but on G6 it's almost a disaster, wait, is there such a thing as "nose glove"?:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    It should have fully articulated screen so I guess you can fold it to the left side or have it reversed so your nose doesn't touch the screen at all :)

12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    yes, I have to do that sometimes. moreover I hope there's way to quickly switch off eye sensor without diving into menus. does anyone find that possible?

13. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Looks like you have the exact same desires as I, though I haven't upgraded from my G5. From what I can tell, the GH series is going to be the top of the line video-oriented model, while the GX series is going to be the middle-range rangefinder-styled photography oriented model (thus the IBIS).

I think that they've had a tough time defining the G series since releasing the GX7, which made the GX series a better stills camera than the G series. The G series no longer excels in any one way, except for ergonomics. In essence, it turned into a GH-lite. If a G7 is released, I suspect it will continue to be a GH-lite and it's doubtful it'll have IBIS.

Right now, if I felt like spending the money on a camera, I'd switch to the E-M5 ii, which really seems like it matches every feature I could want, with the IBIS, viewfinder, flip screen, and so on. However, a slight improvement in the sensor and IBIS are not enough to get me to upgrade -- I'd rather buy new lenses and wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    It doesn't much matter that the GX7 is "the better camera" than any G series. While rangefinder style cameras might appeal to enthusiasts who join photography forums on the Internet for example, the general public have voted with their wallets. What they want from mirrorless are SLR like, or pseudo SLR like cameras, with the viewfinder in a hump in line with the lens axis, and also cameras with some form of expensive premium feel, either in the way the camera looks, or the build quality, or the materials used at the touchpoints.

Olympus plugged away with the PEN line and they got generally ignored by the market. They release the OMD line and their sales take off. Fuji and Sony were clearly paying attention. They've moved from the rangefinder style, top left EVF designs of the X Pro 1 and NEX-7, to the lens axis EVF designs of the XT-1 and A7. All these cameras already had the feel of something expensive, so the big change is where the EVF is.

Panasonic seem to have got the second part of this message, as you can see from the styling of the GX7, GM1 and GF7. But you only have to look at the worldwide sale figures to see that the market isn't much interested in these 3. Oly and Panny used to be neck and neck on market share, now Oly seems to sell 3 m43 camera for every 2 from Panny. Look at all the buzz and the talk level of the two brands. I get why a lot of Panasonic owners feel a bit left out with "all this talk about Olympus all the time", even on mu-43.com.

What Panasonic need is something with premium feel and an in axis EVF. It is unlikely to be a GH camera, they seem to have found their niche market of videographers, and I doubt they are all that interested in "bling" (although build quality on the grounds of how long the camera is going to last being lugged around in the field is a consideration).

That leaves the G series. So a Panasonic challenger to the E-M10, using the general style and build of the GX7, but simplified to save cost (no need for a swivel EVF, doesn't need to be so compact, and yes because the audience of a camera like this are more likely to use zoom lenses, no IBIS either).

15. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    If the IBIS technology already exists in the GX7 (albeit 2 axis) I personally don't think it will cost them too much to incorporate this into the G7 in my opinion...

I think Panasonic want to capture sales from Olympus (OMD users) and I personally feel that without IBIS, that will be difficult for them as Olympus owners will already probably have a raft of lenses without IS

16. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You can assign one of the function buttons (fn) to toggle between LCD/Viewfinder.

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You are making a lot of assumptions and imputing causality here where I don't think there is any. Fuji and Panasonic have both sold a lot of rangefinder style cameras. The XT-1 is Fujis only SLR style camera, and they still update their line of rangefinder style cameras. The A7 is a completely different system than the NEX. All the NEX (now the A6000?) cameras are still rangefinders, but they are different systems, so saying they have moved away from anything with the A7 is inaccurate. The PEN line was not ignored by the market, and actually sold quite well. The OMD took off because it was a fantastic camera with 5 axis IBIS, weather sealing, and a great Sony sensor which was the best m43 sensor at the time. The retro-styling was a perk, not the the cause of its success. Panasonic sold more than Oly at first because they were first in the market. Oly took market share because for a while they had the best m43 camera. The GX7, GMs and GH4 have leveled the playing field as far as camera quality, and Panasonic have increased their market share, but that was more about Olympus having the best sensor, and not about center EVF. I haven't seen a breakdown of worldwide market share for each individual camera, but from what I can tell, the GX7s and GMs have all been strong sellers, so I'm not quite sure why you say "you only have to look at the worldwide sale figures to see that the market isn't much interested in these 3"... So I don't quite follow the logic or reasoning behind why you think the center EVF is the killer feature that will make a camera successful.

18. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thanks Ivor I know that but I prefer to use that button to switch on/off the e shutter, and it's still better if you can quickly switch the eye sensor on or off other than just temporarily toggle between LCD/EVF, it makes a difference when you're able to quickly disable the eye sensor when shooting in tight space as the eye sensor can get blocked repeatedly.

19. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I've found that if you switch off the auto eye sensor then using the Fn3 button works really well. When the screen is flipped out, the EVF is disabled and when you push the Fn3 button, the EVF is enabled. You have a choice of 4 other Fn buttons to choose from for other preferences. It's simple and straightforward with zero hassle. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  20. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thank you! I will try that

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1