1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Will the world end if I leave my battery on charge?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zathras, Dec 31, 2014.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Hi all

When I got the E-M1 I read the manual which had dire warnings against leaving the battery on charge after it has completed charging, and IIRC I am also supposed to remove the charger from the socket too.

So, bearing in mind that every other electronic gadget I have, has circuits designed to prevent damage from accidental over charging, what exactly might happen if I forget to take the battery off charge before going to bed? Will my house burn down? And if the charger can't cope with this concept, how ridiculous does that make Olympus for designing such a useless POS? I know with 2 (genuine) batteries, charging them both up at 4 hours each is a right pain but if it actually will damage them then it's just lame.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Not a problem at all. I've left the battery on charge overnight and taken it off the charger well after it's been fully charged the next morning. That's precisely why the new batteries are no longer compatible with the old ones and the old chargers, as new laws in Japan have mandated that batteries can be left in a charger and pose no safety hazard. The older batteries and chargers were most likely just as safe, but safety laws being what they are...

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nope...I constantly leave my batteries charging overnight/while I'm out...never an issue in any device I've ever owned.

4. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Thanks. I guess they were just being cautious.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Probably all it needed were one or two incidents that couldn't be fully identified, for someone to enact new laws and fix what ostensibly wasn't broken.

6. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Probably.

And on another grumpy note - when I bought my spare battery recently, I was very unhappy to see that even when paying $117 for a genuine battery you don't even get a cover for the terminals

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've noticed that as well. All the older BLM-1 batteries came with a plastic cover that clipped onto the battery and provided a shield. It's kind of ironic that chargers have been made 'safe' but potentially battery shorting has been neglected.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My spare BLN-1 came in a little zip-lock bag. Better than nothing, I guess.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You mean protecting their legal butts, that if something happened where someone left a battery charging unattended and that person tried to sue, the manufacturer can say, "we told you not to do that, so it's YOUR fault!"

Not that I leave batteries charging unattended.

Actually, they redesigned the location of the battery contacts so it's almost impossible to short them out compared to the way the contacts on the BLM-1 was designed. The odds of unintentional shorting out the new battery design is almost impossible, you have to two pointed ends to short out the new design...with the old design you just needed a paperclip to rest against the battery.

10. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    That makes me feel better about the exposed contacts. Thanks.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You could be right, but the BLS1 batteries already had recessed contacts, so there may still be some truth to the reported charger changes.