will the prices of the lumix lens drop within time?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timothysoong, Sep 19, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I am tempting to get the 25mm f/1.4 Pana lens, but its a little bit pricy.. But I would be able to afford it, but just wondering will the prices of these lenses drop drastically within time? Because I'd not want to be one of those buyers that bought one and after a few days of purchased the price starts dropping..

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just wait a year or two. I'd just get a 20mm 1.7 for now if you can find one used.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Panny-Leica lens(es) have held their value pretty well.

If you want/need it, and have the money, buy it and don't look back. The price could go up or down at any given time.

If you're so worried about the price dropping, use a credit card with price protection.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's all up in the air

Given the present world financial condition absolutely nothing is predictable. It's almost a wonder money even works any more. I really don't fathom how they are keeping the dollar propped up as they are. Given all that I would suspect just about everything to get more expensive from now on out for near and long term. :frown:

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Considering how much trouble Panasonic seems to have keeping anything in stock and, therefore, the constant demand, no, it won't drop soon...

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I doubt this lens will drop in value. The Lumix 20mm f/1.7 never dropped in value over all these years (in fact, it initially RAISED in value 25% in the first year), and the 25mm/1.4 is a Leica branded lenses and should retain at least as much value.

If you want the lens, then get it now. It would be utterly futile to wait for it to drop in price, and you will be wasting so many great photos you could have been getting from it.

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I agree with Ned, even though he's from Edmonton ;) I might eventually buy the 25/1.4. I think the price is fair in comparison to the 20/1.4, but I'm still keeping the 20 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Agree with Ned and KVG as well.

Get it and enjoy the lens immediately! That's assuming availability of course. :(

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Another option is to buy used. However, I'm noticing that on specific lenses that there isn't a huge difference between new and used prices.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Lenses tend to hold their value, unless the system they are designed for is discontinued. Cameras lose value very quickly, because there is always something significantly better about to come out. However, a good lens is a good lens, be it 2 months, 2 years or 20 years old. A lens that meets Leica quality standards is not going to be usurped any time soon. :smile:

11. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Ive noticed no real price drop in the UK, the big ticket lenses such as the 7-14, 45mm PL, 14-140 etc, are still about the same as they were on release.
    You'll always find the odd exception, but overall they hold their prices.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Being that the lens is just released, I would expect it to drop somewhat in price at retailers - it really will depend on demand, especially on whether current 20mm owners will see value in upgrading (that would keep demand for the 25mm high, and also bring the 20mm price down on the used market).

Even buying brand new, MSRP, it may not end up being an investment, but think of it as a long-term rental at the cost of 10-20% of the price you paid (if you keep it in good condition I have no doubt you'd be able to resale at 80% new value minimum). Also consider that every lens maker generally increases their prices every couple of years, due to increased manufacturing costs, labor and fluctuations in the international exchange costs. If you hold the lens for 5 years, there is a good chance that the MSRP will increase and it'll have a resale at or above what you pay. This is somewhat optimistic, but I've had that happen with several of my Pentax lenses over time.

So, if you want it go out and get it!

13. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    get it now dude dnt wait.. i just order my 20mm 1.7 for my epl1 on BH..and i got $100 off on lightroom. so excited now.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, the lens won't apprecialby drop in value. As others mentioned, this is a high-demand lens. Look at the Panasonic Leica 45mm. It's still $700, even though everyone is going gaga over the Olympus 45mm. There is an early adopter tax, but don't expect it to be more than $100 or so once they are able to secure stock, and this lens is actually sitting on store shelves. Is it worth that much money to you to not have this lens for another 2 years?

Plus, look at what Panasonic has done with this lens. While the 4/3 version cost about $1,000 they have managed to make the m4/3 version for only $600. This is still pretty expensive for a normal-focal length lens, but given that it says Leica on it, it's a deal. They've managed to drop the price this much, and I don't foresee them slashing the prices any more.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ohhhhh .... that explains A LOT! :)

16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If anything, I'd expect the Voigtlander 25mm to drop..depending on the consensus of how they stack up once there's enough in ciurculation for head to head reviews. Well, drop to at least the MSRP of 900$ or so..I'd be sorely tempted if it dropped below that.

17. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The Panasonic lenses seem to have stayed basically the same, the 20mm seems to fluctuate between £270 and £300 new.
    For the 25mm I'd expect the £480 mark to be about the lowest for a while partly due to stock as it doesn't always seem to be available in the UK.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey now! No ganging up on the Edmontonians... :mad:

19. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

Searched for a good price on a used 20mm 1.7 and ended up buying a new one with warranty from BHPhoto

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    We'll have to meet for a drink when I'm up there next time!