Will the price of the PL 45mm f/2.8 fall?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mellow, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Now that the 60mm Oly macro is out and getting such rave reviews, do you think the price of the PL 45mm f/2.8 will start to drop? Beyond the shorter FL, I can't think of a single thing this lens offers over the Oly.

Disclaimer: this is based entirely on what I've read. I've not shot with either lens. (But I'd like to own one of them, eventually!)
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 45/2.8 is already down to half or less of its original price.

Check out the "one lens" thread ... A lot of votes for the 45/2.8 in there ...
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the PL45 has been regular dipping to around $500 on the used market. The new price may dip a bit further, but it is a great lens. I'm not one to read test charts and stuff, but I'll bet it still tests better than the new Oly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think there is going to be a drop in price but little bit . THis FL suits many people including myself but I prefer to use Oly 45 mm 1.8 instead. Now new Pannt 45 mm 2.8 sells around USD799 mark and for that money actally U can buy legendry Oly 45 mm 1.8 and Panny 60 mm 2.8 and how cool is that? Newer buyer will think twice before buying Pannay 45
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You may be right, the Oly could be technically better all the way around, but there is something cool about the contrast and colors from the PL45.

The one I am using now is a recent re-get (just a couple months ago). I debated waiting on the Oly, but I thought I would use the 90mm FoV more often and I remembered how much I liked candids/portraits out of the PL.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Then there's the upcoming 42.5 ƒ1.4.............
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    RT: f1.2 I believe :)
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    PL45 has OIS, which it makes it appealing to (us) Panny users. Oly with IBIS + 60mm sounds like a tough-to-beat combo for macro and short-medium tele.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Even better! :biggrin:
  10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    The price has already dropped quite a bit since introduction, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does drop a little bit more with the Olympus 60mm being available new for less than the PL45 and having excellent performance. Ultimately the differentiators are likely to be size (small & wide vs. long & skinny), focal length, and OIS for those that want it. The PL 45 will suit some people better as an all around lens (myself included) but the Oly macro is a compelling option for those more interested in primarily macro use, to be sure.

The upcoming 42.5mm f/1.2 I don't see eating into much of the PL 45 market share since it's clearly a portrait lens and the Oly 45 is already in that space. The 42.5mm is gong to be competing mostly against the Oly and aimed at people willing to pay extra for OIS, another fraction larger aperture, and Panasonic lens rendering.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Ah, I didn't know that . . . that will obviously make it an attractive choice for Panny users, even if it's not technically quite as sharp. Thanks.
  12. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    The price on Amazon(UK) is currently more than I paid for this lens two years ago. It seems to vary quite a bit.

It is a top quality lens and has a very nice rendering, both as macro and all-round. The Oly 60 does seem to have a different look about it (not as appealing to me) , though I would like that longer reach if I had a stabilised body.