Will the new OMD EM1 play nice with the Pany 7-14 zoom?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DaveL, Aug 27, 2013.

1. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Seems like lots of nice specs and features are trickling out about the new OMD EM1. The current OMD em 5 is one of my favorite cameras of all time, however the most frustrating thing for me has always been seeing those purple splotches appear when shooting with the Pany 7-14 on the OMD. :dash2:

There have been various posts and threads about this issue. If I remember correctly the purple splotches are caused by the way the OMD sensor reacts to UV light. I’ve also heard that the problem occurs because the OMD sensor is somewhat more “reflective” than the Pany sensors and this causes the light to bounce around between the rear element of the lens and the sensor. Anyway, I don’t have a scientific background in optics/sensor design so I really don’t know the true cause.

But I do know that this seems to be a problem particularly with the OMD sensor. That would seem to mean that the Pany sensors are more tolerant then the sensor in the OMD in some way. Another member posted a comparison of shots taken with the 7-14 on both the OMD and a Pany ( G5, I think) showing this really well. So in theory, that would mean that a new sensor could be designed or adapted to work better with the 7-14, right? So basically, I’ve been hanging on to my old trusty pany GF1 , essentially just to be able to use the 7-14 lens- it’s still not perfect but it’s definitely much more controlled and is less “ in your face".

Anyway, I'm hoping to get the new OMD EM1, but I also have to think about cost and financing and all that:mad:. and it would be really nice to know how the 7-14 would work with the OMD EM1. Has anyone seen any sample shots with this camera/ lens combo? Has anyone heard any rumors or have any insights about this?

2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    if the new omd plays nice with the 7-14, that would be fantastic....but im not getting my hopes up. Id love to see an oly wide zoom or prime that takes filters :)

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The camera has not officially been announced yet - so anyone that could tell you is probably under a non-disclosure agreement - even if they would happen to know.

And it probably is not the camera - but the lens. Panasonic will naturally correct their lenses characteristics in their own cameras. Olympus does not have much of a reason to implement corrections for Panasonic lenses so I doubt much will change.

The work around - the flares are visible when framing the photo, if you don't like them change what you are doing to alleviate them, or find a way to creatively use them. If desired you can also install a filter at the rear lens.

I've had a couple of flares sneak by me but not enough to cause concern. And I've also wanted to create a flare now or then and could not get a flare in the situation!

4. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Seems fine paired up with the E-P5... even though it's supposed to be the same sensor as the EM-5. So maybe the EM-1 won't have a problem with the lens. :/

5. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Yeah, the GH3 technically has the same sensor as the E-M5 too, but I believe there is some tiny difference made to the coatings or something of the sort which cause it to exhibit little/non of the purple splotch effect.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The definitive word on this is maybe, but then I heard somewhere else that this was just a rumor... :wink:

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It is actually (not probably) the combination of the two. The lens works fine on other cameras--only the E-M5 has the purple flare problem. It's a combination of the lens coatings passing more UV than other lenses and the sensor in the E-M5 not filter out the UV either. The fact that the E-P5 doesn't seem to suffer the same problem would seem to indicate that Olympus / Sony figured out how to solve it, but hasn't bothered to do an in-flight fix to the sensor in the E-M5.

Which illustrates one of the things that annoys me about Olympus. They rarely issue updates to any of their products, firmware or hardware. If, as is widely believed, the sensor in the e-p5 and e-m5 are the "same", it would have cost Olympus next to nothing to fix the problem in the e-m5 moving forward. And why no firmware upgrade to allow mysets on the mode dial, like the e-p5 has?

Recomposing might be a work-around, but it's not a fix. Recomposing changes the image, and might not be what you wanted to capture at all. The filter trick works, if you're adept with tools, don't mind partially disassembling an expensive lens, don't mind buying expensive gel filters that attract dust and are easily ruined if you touch it with your fingers. And if you don't mind spending your money to fix Olympus' problem.

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I'm just hoping it plays nicely with my ZD SHG 7-14mm.