1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will the Kodak S-1 MFT and three new lenses interest you?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jyc860923, Mar 20, 2014.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It's good to see another manufacturer coming over to m4/3. It can only provide more awareness, especially since Kodak is still such a well known name, pretty much everywhere. Might even get the US interested in m4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not interesting once you've seen E-PM2 for $199!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    43 rumors listed the camera specs a while back. Lenses always interest me, the camera not so much.

5. rpatodia

rpatodia Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2013
    India
    Ramesh
    Kodak is one of the leaders in sensor technology (Leica uses Kodak sensors) & years of photography technology. They were too focused on making money on films to lose out on the digital revolution.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Same here! After picking that up dirt cheap the Kodak doesn't have much appeal.

Though I'll keep an eye out for price and reviews on that 400mm field scope.

7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Except that Kodak has nothing to do with these cameras. Not in the sensors, not in the lens designs, not in the body designs. Nothing at all. It's just a namesake.

...AND they're coming up against similar products from companies with huge names like Samsung. The 18-35 year old knows more about Samsung than Kodak.

How popular that camera becomes will depend on how many places sell them, and how good the connectivity built into the camera may be. If it uploads directly to social media then it might actually be a hit. Otherwise, I predict it'll end up like the late model Kodak Pocket Instamatics that were still being produced in the mid to late 90s. You may see them in stores everywhere, but very few will end up in the hands of people taking photos.

8. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    anyone know:

is it a ccd or cmos sensor?

does it take evf?

thx

9. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    400mm f4.7 in a native mount looks pretty interesting.

11. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, it's really a spotting scope with an m43 lens mount. I don't expect it to be very good. Sakar makes spotting scopes that I'm sure end up with other names on them. Some of them can be bought on Amazon.com WITH tripod for under $100...

12. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah... that's why it will be important to see what the price is, and what reviewers say about the quality. It would be nice to avoid the hassle of converters for a cheap spotting scope. But if the quality is poor or the price too high, it would probably make more sense to get one of the 300mm lenses and just crop.

Plus there are a lot of cheap old manual focus 400mm and 500m lenses out there. Quality better be a couple steps above those to be worth it.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It's reasoning like this that keeps these zombie companies in business. This "Kodak" camera has nothing to do with the old company in Rochester NY.

• Like Like x 1
  14. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I dunno, I'm glad JK Imaging is at least keeping the name alive in photography by licencing it.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If m4/3 users have this poor a view of any other company trying to promote m4/3, then what hope has m4/3 got in the long term?

• Like Like x 3
  16. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    :thumbup:^^^ THIS ^^^

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am glad to see some new blood in m4/3 but I am not excited about any of their offerings. The only lens that is really different from current is the 400mm tele. I will wait to see samples and price but it might be OK. It looks to be a manual focus telescope design. I also teach a photography class for kids and a couple of these cameras might work well for that if I could pick them up cheap. I have a feeling their price will come down very quickly{either that or Kodak folds under this owner}.

18. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    I think that's a touch unfair. These Kodak items look pretty shoddy at first glance, although I'll happily be proved wrong. If the post had been about something with a hint of quality about it (say, a foveon based Sigma MFT body and associated lenses) then there'd be massive hype.

19. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't think my skepticism over the quality of these products has anything to do with u4/3's long term prognosis. I don't know that it is helpful for the u4/3 system if a new company with an old name enters the u4/3 arena and sells junk. I hope these cameras and lenses are good so that the people buying them don't get a negative impression of the system. Otherwise I think these products will actually hurt Panasonic and Olympus by association.

20. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If the 12-45 is a decent performer, that might be worth some interest. Slightly wider and longer than the standard kit.