Will the EVF make a significant difference?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 02doooce, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 02doooce

02doooce New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2011
    I picked up a EPM1 over the holidays as I needed something compact (more compact than my Canon 40D) and much faster than my Canon s90.

Im on the fence about picking up an EVF, I'm hoping getting one will help make the EMP1 feel/shoot similar to the 40D and make the manual focus process much more natural. Right now using the lcd to focus manually does not feel natural (very slow and by the time I've set the focus and reached for the shutter button I've slightly moved the camera resulting in having to refocus)

I have picked up a few lenses for the EPM1 as well as adapters that let me shoot my canon lens on the pen.
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    It is all about how you shoot. Shooting solely from the LCD drives me nuts ... I am much quicker and comfortable with an EVF. Many here prefer the LCD. If you've been shooting since Christmas and you are still on the fence ... then you probably don't need one. Buy another lens instead.

3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    If you are going to be adapting manual lenses, an EVF will make focusing MUCH easier...easier than an optical viewfinder in fact. (and the view will be much larger than your 40D's viewfinder. )

I prefer an EVF personally. However, if you use an external flash a lot, it might be not worth it since you can't mount both at the same time.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The EVF has two advantages for MF shooting. First, it has substantially better resolution than the rear LCD, so you can get things mostly in focus with having to magnify. Second, if you do magnify, the camera is steadied against your face, so it's much easier to hold it still while focusing.

To me these are well worth the cost.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If that's your purpose, then yes the EVF will make a big difference! I suggest the VF-2 over the VF-3 as the view quality is significantly better (the VF-2 is as large in view as the pro-grade E-5!). However, the price difference is also substantial too, so that depends a lot on your budget.
  6. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Got a vf-2 last week for use with three vintage Pentax lenses & it makes focusing so much easier, especially with zooms.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For anyone whose come from using a DSLR, the lack of an eye-level viewfinder on some m4/3 bodies will be a bit unfamiliar. You need to ask yourself if actually liked using the viewfinder on the DSLR, or if you only used it because there was no other option. Removing the reliance on using an eye-level viewfinder is right up there with my favourite features of m4/3 and other similar camera systems.
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think an EVF is a must for MF lenses.
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    To each his own...but if I couldn't have my EVF, all my m4/3 gear would be up for sale. Makes a world of difference, especially with legacy glass. YMMV
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I actually like using the LCD on my E-P1 and E-PM1 but its not workable under all conditions and using legacy glass can be a challenge using just the LCD. The E-PM1 especially so because the LCD's 16:9 aspect ratio means when shooting in 4:3 the image is a bit small. I just got an E-PM1 and found a VF2 for sale at a reasonable price so I bought one. I'd used a VF2 before with an E-PL2 and E-PL1 so I knew what I was getting into. I find that the E-PM1 and VF2 are an AMAZING combination. If you shoot legacy glass (or just like to manually focus) the VF2 really makes it a lot easier. I also find the VF2 and the small sized E-PM1 body are a terrific match. The entire package is still very compact.
  11. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I really dislike chimping to shoot an image. It's one thing to look at something, but another to have to compose on it or, worse, focus a MF lens on the LCD back. I got a VF3 and it's never going to come off my E-PL1 :wink: Turns a nice camera into a far better one. I even do all my in camera review via it. It's not as good quality as the screen but it is much easier to use and is the proverbial good enough. I tend to shoot much as if I were still using film anyway (heh, VF in upright position, square aspect ration & monotone. If I could only flip the VF3's image upside down, I'd be in heaven :cool: ) so take my comment for what it's worth.
  12. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    hmmmm......although i do agree with you that the epl1 is a capable camera producing some beautiful images, i dont think the rear screen is good at all.....the pictures taken and reviewed on the back of the epl1 screen is not accurate at all imo. i would think that the vf3 has more pixels displayed and more accurate display than the rear screen?
  13. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I don't worry too much about it. To me, it may or may not be all that accurate but by color vision is marginal (red/green problems; I can tell the difference on a stop light but can't read the funny numbers made of dots.) so the majority of my serious shooting is done square & monotone so that I can concentrate on the qualities of light and shadow rather than aggro my son by calling a green box brown :eek: :rofl:

I did misremember though - you do still have to use the main screen for review.Bummer. I think I wanted it to be true so much I was pretending it was!
  14. 02doooce

02doooce New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2011
    Sounds like I have enough compelling feedback on the EVF.

15. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Do you VF-2 users find that its resolution is good enough to manually focus without using the focus assist?

The e-p3 has a great screen, but I find the focus assist (magnify) vital to getting the accuracy I want, as annoying as it is to use.
  16. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I use focus assist much less often than I used to, before I had the VF2. Only if I have really got the lens wide open and need to be really selective about where I'm putting the plane of focus. To be fair, I have an EP2, so there is a much more dramatic improvement when using the VF2 that might be giving me false confidence.
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think the EVF is a must have for my style of shooting and for vintage MF lens. Also is very useful in bright sunlight.
  18. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes and no. I find that I still use focus assist unless I am shooting moving people. When I first got the VF-2, I thought the resolution was good enough to focus without focus assist, but I noticed a lot of pictures I swore were in focus were actually a little off.

Is it better than the LCD? Yes, especially in sunlight, where it is a world of difference.
    Do I enjoy the camera more with the EVF? Absolutely. I like having the option to compose with the camera at my face.
    Is the EVF the end-all-be-all of MF accessories? Not for me. I don't find that my pictures are any better now than before (outside of my own better skills). What would help substantially is something like a rangefinder mechanism or focus peaking. The EVF is worth it to me, but more for handling and ease-of-use than for improving my end products.
  19. tamras29

tamras29 New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2012
    Exposure compensation

For me, the very best thing about my EVF is I don't give changing my metering mode a thought anymore, as adjusting exposure compensation shows exactly what my final image is going to look like right there in the veiwfinder. Central postion dark? Open up a couple of stops, watch that part brighten and the surround darken! Brilliant! Total control like I never had with my DSLR.