Will the EP5 be a winner for Olympus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, May 14, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I've placed a pre-order for a sweet silver ep5, but based on the reactions on another u4/3 community, there's little interest in this model. I'm going to upgrade my ep3 because of the ep5's tilt LCD, advanced ibis, and 16MP sensor.

Am I the Lone Ranger? If so, maybe I'll wait, because Olympus will be discounting the ep5 in the near future.
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Wow, talk about an inflammatory title! Regardless of what people vote, I'm pretty sure the EP5 won't be a disaster for Olympus. Maybe that should have been the poll question?
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Did you get the kit (body+VF4+17mm lens) or body only?

As a E-P3 upgrade I think the E-P5 is spectacular, esp. as a kit (which you can, after all, sell off the EVF and/or lens and get yourself a kinda "discount" on the steep introductory price).

My guess is they are going to sell 10 times as many kits as bodies only.
  4. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Your point is well taken, Tom. I've changed it to a more positive question. :biggrin:

The other problem is I forgot to unclude the obvious poll option... the ep5... and can't figure out a way to add it. :redface: If you are admin (or are friendly with one), please help!

Edit: The ep5 option has been added. Thanks for the admins for their quick assistance.
  5. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I ordered the body only, but may change to the kit.
  6. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Not going for the EP5, but gives me more confidence that EM-6 may be a worthy upgrade to EM-5. Better viewfinder, better IBIS, newer sensor and PDAF or otherwise improved AF tracking and compatibility with existing grip and batteries would be a win for me.
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's very tough to jump in the pool on these new offerings when you see the history of falling prices. It seems the top end stuff does OK (GH; OM-D), but the middle and bottom of the food chain declines sharply. The big question is "where does the E-P5 fit?"

Uncle Frank, if you like the camera I say go for it and don't look back. The sensor alone is a serious step up. Worst case is you'll miss saving a couple of hundred bucks six months down the road, but you'll have been using the better camera all along.
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm cured of being a product manager for digital cameras, so I no longer feel the need to forecast their success :)

I like my OMD and will stay here for I think at least a year.
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, the E-P3 stayed at well over $800 for well over a year before it say any drop in pricing, if that's anything to go by.
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Agree...there are a milion and one PENs out there, what another one?

As for E-M6, it doesn't exist so can't say if I'd want an imaginary camera or not! Maybe ask once it's actually ANNOUNCED?
  11. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    It'll be really interesting to see what happens to the EM-5's price after the EM-6 drops. I am convinced that the E-P3 held its value for so long partially because there was such a long time (in Olympus terms) before the E-P5 was announced. In either case, I have not and will not ever spend MSRP for any Olympus camera or lens.
  12. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I love my EM5 and I'm waiting to see what the next version will be like. So I may just stick to the EM5+EP3 for now.
  13. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    whether i get the E-P5 depends on how it feels in my hands, but it's the first PEN that has really gotten my attention as soon as it was announced. the combination of features puts it on my short list for a possible camera. the right changes for the E-M6 could get me interested, too.

since i only just got the E-PM2, i'm not feeling G.A.S.... yet ;-)
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    So, if I plan to upgrade by buying an E-P5 what should I pick?

Oops. I just saw the "change the poll" post. I'm glad I wasn't just missing the point.
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    On the contrary, I have seen nothing but excitement over the new E-P5! Except for one thing... the price. :( It is a couple hundred more than the last top-end Pen came out at, and is up to the same level as the last OM-D. That's the only thing that I've seen people turned off about with this camera, but if we see the next releases of Pens and OM-Ds coming in at an even higher cost then the E-P5 will no longer have that overpriced distinction. :) When you think about it, that's only an extra day's work or so for most people to pay off the difference, so if you want this camera I see no reason to hold off your purchase over a couple hundred bucks! Purchase a cheaper model which you didn't want and use it for a couple years, then tell me if saving that day's work was really worth it. That's assuming you actually have enough money at the end of the bills... for some people on the other hand, that just puts it out of their budget and there's nothing we can do about that.
  16. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I've put some thought (ok, more like covetous gear lust) into upgrading from the EM5 to the EP5 + VF4... I don't care about the weather sealing or grip, personally, and I like the idea of a removable EVF for extra flexibility.

But the techno-schwing has faded, and I think I'll wait to see what the EM5's successor looks like after all. It's bound to be all that the EP5 is and more... more money, too, but it will imbue me with the mad photography skillz I so desperately need to feel good about myself.
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm sticking with the E-M5. Love the built-in EVF, though the E-P5 is a very, very pretty piece of tech. I won't be upgrading unless something really special happens with an E-M5 successor, and/or until we get a significant upgrade in DR, sensor performance and megapixels (all of the above, pleasethankyou). So maybe an E-M7?
  18. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    As an E-P3 user, the E-P5 is what I've been waiting for. None of the new PEN models had the right amount of controls and the E-M5 has a hump I didn't want
  19. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    E-P5 looks to me like a near-perfect upgrade from the E-P3. I don't want the viewfinder 90% of the time so being able to clip it on for the other 10% is ideal. Flippy screen, improved high iso, improved IS, 1/8000, not to mention FOCUS PEAKING. All good! I'm hoping the wireless implementation will be a workable substitute for proper tethering.

It looks very fine too and that matters to this old saddo. As far as I can see the only downside is the fixed, smaller grip.

I've pre-ordered the E-P5 + VF4 + 17 kit so roll on 30th June.
  20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    A photographer is either an ideal customer for EP5 or not. Optional grip or no; weather sealing or no; EVF plus shoe mount flash simultaneously or no; ability to handle larger lenses capably or no. I characterize EP5 as a social camera; perhaps one for owners of DSLR's who already have EM-5 features in their work gear. Or a camera with bragging rights for the well-off dentist or other professional.