1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will the E-M1ii really be launched on the 19th?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Sep 16, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    OK, some weekend chat for us all...

So, this is what we know of other things being launched at Photokina:

- Canon EOS-M5. Leaked specs, photos and even some hands-on from DPReview
    - Oly Pro lenses. Leaked pics and detailed specs, pricing (in Canada)
    - Panasonic G85. Leaked pics and detailed specs
    - Olympus E-M1ii. Second-hand reported snips of info. No pics, no pricing

Makes you wonder...

Seems to me that either:

- Oly have a very (and uncharacteristically) solid secrecy campaign
    - The camera won't be launched and the rumours are well in advance of reality
    - The camera will be only soft launched and it's some way from being ready for review or shipping

Hmmmm...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Soft I think.
    Edit. And maybe some beta-housings for the expo.

3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I think it will be announced Monday but will not start shipping for several months, maybe even early 2017. I don't think this was the original intention but the earthquake has caused sensor availability issues.

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sensor availability for shipping wouldn't affect the ability to build small quantities for evaluation and review. There's something more to it than that. Earthquake isn't stopping Canon or Panasonic either. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    43rumors just posted a note saying it was a "pre-launch" and that hardware wouldn't be shipping until early 2017.

Remember the last time Olympus launched the first EM1? It took them 3 months to deliver in quantity and the first batch was plagued with shutter issues. I'm hoping this time they're rolling out slowly to catch any mechanical defects early.

I also do believe the Kumamoto quakes impacted sensor production, though not sure how badly. Might have been a setback at least.

Nevertheless! I am very excited to see the new EM1.

6. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I agree, but there could be lots of reasons to delay those once you know mainstream delivery will be delayed.

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Interesting. I posted on another thread a comment by Ian Burley from the UK who has formal links to Olympus. He said that at this stage for the E-M1 launch that he had been to Japan for product briefings and there were demo cameras available. This has not happened with the mark ii. It seems that the new mark ii is a lot further behind the delivery curve based on the lack of any hard evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If soft/pre launch is indeed the situation on Monday I wonder how the market overall will react? The Nikon DL situation is hardly a good omen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    The E-M1 is a hard act to follow — even three years down the line — and it's arguably critical that when it comes to mark II, Olympus get it right. If it's a hit then it will likely do much for the general health of MFT, if not — who knows? I feel that there needs to be a general perception that MFT is a format which is still showing scope for significant improvements in core performance, not just for the addition of "features". If it looks like MFT is hitting some kind of performance glass ceiling, the pro sector may start losing interest. So on that basis, I'm all for Olympus taking however much time is necessary for them to create a camera that really delivers the goods.

Within reason, of course. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    given the new features (hand-held HD shooting, 4k, etc) and the existing list of features the EM1 already has, I wonder if it's just that much harder to re-implement everything on top of a new IBIS system and sensor and new image processor. I expect they're essentially starting from scratch with the mk2 and don't get a lot of the benefits of previous iterations which were all based on the earlier sensor systems.

I'm with @alex g@alex g, I want them to take their time and get it right, otherwise people will see it as a step backwards and jump systems. It would be really hard to have the new camera come out with everything half-finished and have to wait for a v2.0 for your favorite feature to reappear.

And I'm also worried that the new camera won't have enough of a step forward in terms of continuous, tracked focusing and focus aids to make it seem like a significant upgrade.

can't wait for Monday! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Missing the Christmas season is a big deal. They either don't have sensors or it just isn't ready. Given the goodness of the X-T2, a6300, etc...maybe they had to delay and improve a few things.

I just want to know what to expect by Monday afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Steve huff stated today that he is going to be busy at event that he can't talk about and that it will keep him from photokina. Since olympus previously had him and other photographers out at a special event to test out both the em5ii and the Pen F they could be doing the same for the EM1 II. Each time was about a month before the camera was available. Now this could be way off but its possible that the EM1ii will be at least tested by photographers next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I just received email from Olympus to watch live stream of big announcement at 12:30 PM EDT on Monday, September 19th.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, they did delay & improve the 300mm Pro lens.

16. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    43rumors just "confirmed" that the EM1mk2 will not have a hand-held hi-res mode ready for the "pre-announcement".

(FT5) E-M1II info: Hand-held resolution mode yet not ready on the pre-production version? - 43 Rumors

(that's a lot of qualifiers)

I've been maintaining for quite some time that a hand-held hi-res mode is going to be problematic. Gimmicky, at best, like any camera shooting 50MP, for best results, you'll want to be on a tripod.

And I've been thinking about it, the built-in HDR modes in the OM-Ds is kind of a precursor to the hi-res mode. Multiple shot without the pixel shift and exposure bracketed. You can see what that looks like hand-held with moving subject matter to get an idea of how successful hand-held hi-res will be on the EM1mk2.

This isn't really a put-down. Just some realistic limits on a funky technology.

One feature I'd love to see Olympus implement is Pentax' star-tracking for astrophotography. Being able to shoot for 1-5 minutes and keep the stars aligned would be very cool.

1 more sleep til olympus day! :dance3:

• Sad Sad x 1
  17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Without a notable improvement in IQ, I'm not buying. If it's just Pen F level, then it'll be a big disappointment for me. I hope they do deliver on the hand held Hi Res promise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    it needs to have better long exposure characteristics than the current EM1. It's crippling for astrophotography and a huge step back from the EM5.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it's a Sony sensor (with better on chip noise control) then it should better than the Panasonic one in the E-M1.

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's not just asto either. I took some long exposure landscape shots with a 10-stop ND yesterday and anything beyond about 30s begins to show unacceptable noise - ugly colour speckles.

• Agree Agree x 1